Scam invitations to non-existent conferences
#54710 by tirip Mon May 30, 2011 5:26 pm
Got this mail today. I'm almost 100% sure that this is scam - received a very similar mail a few weeks ago.
But this time at least I didn't find any typos... All the links are redirected to completely different URLs.

Call for Papers

Emerging infectious, rising rates of obesity and problems for health from pollution have all raised the profile of public health not only in Hong Kong globally. As part of their 10th anniversary, CUHK School of Public Health and Primary Care (SPHPC) will host the International Conference on Global Health and Public Health Education at CUHK School of Public Health Building, Hong Kong, on 25 – 27 October 2011.

International Conference on Global Health and Public Health Education

Date: 25 – 27 October 2011
Venue: School of Public Health Building, CUHK
Organizer: School of Public Health and Primary Care, CUHK
Important Dates: Deadline for Early Bird Registration - 31 August 2011
Deadline for Registration in Advance - 31 September 2011
Deadline for Abstracts Submission - 15 August 2011

This conference has invited leading public health figures from academic, government, private and NGO sectors to give keynote speeches, contributing to a platform for exchange on relevant topics for public health in this region and beyond in such areas as environmental health and sustainability, health service reform, climate change, infectious diseases prevention and control, the healthy universities initiative, public health education and strategies and humanitarian response to disaster amongst other important themes. More conference details can be found at: http://www.sphpc.cuhk.edu.hk/conference2011.

As a valuable friend of CUHK School of Public Health and Primary Care, we cordially invite you to join us at this conference to present your research, to share with us your expertise, to identify potential collaborators and make new friends, as well as to join us in celebrating our anniversary.

Registration Form is available at: http://www.sphpc.cuhk.edu.hk/conference2011. For enquiries, please feel free to contact Conference Secretariat at [email protected] or (852) 2252 8428.

We are always grateful for your support and we look forward to seeing you in October!

If you do not wish to receive further details about this conference, please click "Unsubscribe"
Advertisement

#54759 by Arnold Tue May 31, 2011 5:29 am
Is there a different email address to reply to? The full email headers would be useful. The email address and domain check out, which didn't surprise me. I've never seen a fake site with an edu name.
My first impression is that this makes it a genuine conference, but I'm not sure. A scammer could be basing a scam on a real event of course.
Domain Name Commencement Date: 16-11-1995
Expiry Date: 01-09-2012
Re-registration Status: Complete
Name of Registrar: HKDNR

#54780 by Dotti Tue May 31, 2011 7:29 am
All the links are redirected to completely different URLs.

This is key, as I'm sure you realize. Based on a quick search, it appears there is a real conference, but if you are being redirected to other URL's, this may be a scammer piggybacking off the conference.

Could you please post the URL's the email is redirecting to?

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.