Scam invitations to non-existent conferences
#157079 by Brooks Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:03 am
IAAN 2013 Global Summit on Women Empowerment

This is a FAKE, NON-EXISTENT conference that claims to be held in Washington, D.C., USA from Thursday, September 5 to Sunday, September 8, 2013.

There is no conference or organization for this.

The scam's websites:

http://www.conferenceiafricangos.org
http://www.iafricangos.org
http://silverspringpartyrental.vpweb.com

are in the process of being suspended.

In this scam, the scammer collects "conference registration fees" for the non-existent conference. The victim sends in money and never gets the money back.

Specifically, the scam websites say:

"Letters of invitation will only be issued upon receipt of full registration fees including hotel reservation. Participants must request in writing via email a letter of invitation to attend the conference in the United States. You can send the email to [email protected]"

The hotel referenced in the website is real, however, the conference is not.

The scam claims the following email addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]
Advertisement

#172866 by ldenise Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 pm
Well this is very interesting! I have been conversing with a woman named Joy who said that I was accepted by the boys this week but yet. Now I am NOT paying anything I and she does not have any banking information on me. So in that room I'm not worried if he actually friends with the positive that she said that she's going to send then I'm going to the open up a new account to make sure that nothing happens my realtor. But this is very interesting information to know and I'm actually going to call the hotel to see if they were really looking for space or not. Um I don't with someone that got it over there head and it look like a scam but they were just very unprepared for feeling the room and they thought that everyone else is going to promote as a room for them she told me that you're going to be 500,000 people there and that my room was going to have 200 people which is something that I would very much have to prepare for so I'm going to kindly send her email for easy a on the signed contract see what she comes up with thank you again so much for the site I'm still standing in reading, this is very interesting.
#185087 by Aina1023 Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 am
Hello, I am shocked at this misinformation. IAAN is a reputable organization of which I am a member. I attended the conference which took place on September 5th - 7th 2013 at the Hilton Rockville Hotel and Conference Center. 1750 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852 | Tel: 301-468-1100. The event manager at the Hilton is Ms. Monica Miller.
IAAN is a fairly new organization but a very effective one. You must have contacted them during the early planning stages when all the structures were not in place. Please verify and remove this inaccurate statement.
#185089 by Aina1023 Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 am
Hello, I am shocked at this misinformation. IAAN is a reputable organization of which I am a member. I attended the conference which took place on September 5th - 7th 2013 at the Hilton Rockville Hotel and Conference Center. 1750 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852 | Tel: 301-468-1100. The event manager at the Hilton is Ms. Monica Miller.
IAAN is a fairly new organization but a very effective one. You must have contacted them during the early planning stages when all the structures were not in place. Please verify and remove this inaccurate statement.
#185578 by AlanJones Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:18 pm
Aina1023 wrote:Hello, I am shocked at this misinformation. IAAN is a reputable organization of which I am a member. I attended the conference which took place on September 5th - 7th 2013 at the Hilton Rockville Hotel and Conference Center. 1750 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852 | Tel: 301-468-1100. The event manager at the Hilton is Ms. Monica Miller.

IAAN may well be a legitimate organisation and the conference may well have taken place, but the websites and emails listed by Brooks are part of a scam, that appears to have been piggybacking on the real conference.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.