Scams offering fake Au Pair positions
#56321 by kagz08 Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:14 pm
I recently used aupair.com to get an aupair job and i wanted to know if it was a scam or not. this was the email sent to me
Aupair Job In London UK(Habib Family)
Hello from Habib Family

We saw your Profile and decided to Contact you because
you seem like what we are looking for
We are Habib family from London and we have a daughter called Annetta

Annetta is a year old and is genuinely a quiet funny little child.
I am Mr Aziz Habib a Hindu by Religion But a British by citizenship and my wife's name is Victoria a Christain. we are looking
for an Aupair who would join our family would have very few duties
like taking Care of Annetta as we are always busy with work.

We live in London and our Home address is 3 Park Crescent London England W1B 1HT

We expect an au pair who is willing to have fun with our kid and enjoy
her. But also to help guide her in right and wrong.we want somebody
who is willing to work with us to bring the right atmosphere to our
home for the au pair and the family. There will be some light
housework and cooking. There will be a car available for the au
pair's use. we really just want my kid to feel safe, loved and happy
when we can't be there.

Get back to us with the details of your Availability via email [email protected]
You write us and we would give you the necessary details

Best Wishes
Habib Family

This message is sent to you by family Aziz.
Click here to view the profile of Aziz

i got another email saying that the salary would be £1000 a month and £50 a week alowance which sounds very high. Also here is the message header

Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; sender-id=pass (sender IP is 74.125.82.171) [email protected]; dkim=neutral header.d=gmail.com; x-hmca=pass

X-Message-Status: n:0:n

X-SID-PRA: Aziz Habib <[email protected]>

X-SID-Result: Pass

X-AUTH-Result: PASS

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTE7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9MA==

X-Message-Info: nCoVGf4hGnKdvXFf8H5LunYB1DnzFkYnBYD7WB2D5fAxq+4V3RV8+WCIErCkeUs7UigqZ03XYh/Ltxt2mEbx8WU0W2X1idDUZryYuHOoOZYU14V3DN7yvYbe/lCEg7WbpX44F8LpQA8=

Received: from mail-wy0-f171.google.com ([74.125.82.171]) by bay0-mc2-f24.Bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:19:34 -0700

Received: by wyi11 with SMTP id 11so1666449wyi.30

for <[email protected]>; Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:19:33 -0700 (PDT)

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;

d=gmail.com; s=gamma;

h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to

:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;

bh=2T9+1nI5x+BjNWyIrDEWyiqgh35qEaTTswKfKR2DN7A=;

b=v4cupx4kiV99pTP6E++h1dnlv5Ls+VbGpZhWcH6I+qylO43UojILGBFxfywrIjB9xc

/1uSgaWBHQTo4ctHuXVZesANzVJTxtoxQTv8z3OHgHpMhbyGim6tVplzVjFwmsuGs7l4

vo/Q4IzIbwlAnsB4qkhGlBfg875RB3xIhqpuM=

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws;

d=gmail.com; s=gamma;

h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type

:content-transfer-encoding;

b=YEN4BMfbnWjG39XcIcVtxAKRdsELAlaZuf4empNLgUz0zGvAO001MY+KoC2m8qB4Ub

vumCLiDL4FdcoiHldRqz91cTnfshffyoV/GBWFnAsGSsP1IbAiGEYmcNiOwYPrKav7wf

dOBfWgjAbreRjeRDqQZJEkxgPKQbaopAPHDRM=

MIME-Version: 1.0

Received: by 10.227.55.81 with SMTP id t17mr3916762wbg.100.1308496773225; Sun,

19 Jun 2011 08:19:33 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.227.145.208 with HTTP; Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:19:33 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:19:33 +0100

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Subject: About Us

To: kagweni micheni <[email protected]>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Return-Path: [email protected]

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 19 Jun 2011 15:19:34.0486 (UTC) FILETIME=[4B92EF60:01CC2E94]
Advertisement

#56323 by Arnold Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:32 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners. The wording makes it certain that it's a scam. It certainly wasn't written by anyone whose first language is English.
I've just done an Internet search and found an Arc Wayne Donald who also has a wife named Victoria and a genuinely quiet funny little child. http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=3 ... post=62689. Scammers often use the same odd phrases.
Unless are a citizen of the European Economic Area, British Overseas Territories, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or Monaco, you aren't allowed to work as an au pair in the UK..
Last edited by Arnold on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#56324 by Helen Halper Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:33 pm
Hi kagz08!
Welcome to scamwarners!
The language of the message sounds like that of a typical au pair scam. Unfortunately the headers aren't valid so I wasn't able to see where the message was sent from, but as you pointed out,the big red flag is that the salary is much too high. Also, looking at the street view of the address, 3 Park Crescent London England W1B 1HT, this is definitely not a residence: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3+Park+Cr ... CBYQ8gEwAA

It's a scam.

#56346 by kagz08 Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:43 pm
thank you so much that definately helped. i am a uk resident so i thought applying for a job in the uk would make it harder to get scammed. i am a little worried as if they got my email address they could also have gotten my home address. what legitimate aupair websites can i use?

thanks, kagz
#56357 by Katharina Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:02 am
Hi kagz,

the websites are not the culprits - they just don't get around to filtering the scammers. Anyone can sign up with a fake identity, which means job seekers will have to be extremely careful - and as most of them are non-English speakers, they are easy marks for criminals.

An introduction into au pair scams:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3019

Please come back any time you need advice, we are glad to help.
#56375 by kagz08 Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:52 am
I got another email from another potential family. after the first one i would like to check again. the email address is
[email protected]
the email sent to me was
Hi Kagweni, we added you to our favorites! :-) You can contact us on: 07599- 527610 if you'd like to speak to us about the job. We hope to hear from you soon! David

email header
ipTRACKERonline.com wrote:Header Analysis Quick Report<br>Originating IP: 82.132.243.39<br>Originating ISP: Telefonica UK Limited<br> City: n/a<br>Country of Origin: United Kingdom<br>* For a complete report on this email header goto ipTRACKERonline

thank you again for your help
#56376 by Arnold Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:33 am
I can't be sure based on that quote from the email, but I would say scam because of the mobile phone number. Sending emails from a Vodafone smartphone would show a UK IP address no matter where he is.

#56394 by kagz08 Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:59 am
well they have suggested a video skype interview and i emailed the aupair website about them and they said that they investigated them when they became premium members and that they are legitimate. i'll take their skype call and see what happens i guess.
#56430 by thatgirl Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:40 pm
Hey,

I was googling around and found this as I was looking into verifying these guys as I received the same email... this guy is a total scam. First of all, the "house" that he said he lives in is actually a court house (here’s the link: http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/ ... urt_id=145 ). Also, he emailed me asking for information about my home address and full name. Although he is tying to make it sound legit, it has a lot of holes in this. He is very general and has some holes in his story. I can't really find too much about him on the internet following his story as a film director... I can’t find anything about this guy. Also, claiming to be a British citizen and a professional (claiming he was a producer and editor) his English was very poor and he had a lot of spelling and grammatical errors.

I am a little nervous because I had seriously looked into this family (now I feel dumb because its obviously a scam). I luckily didn’t send money or anything but I did supply some credentials (i.e. work history and information via resume) and I feel a little vulnerable because that kind of gives my location. I don’t think this will truly affect me but at the same time, I am curious if it could/could he get more information about me via this and use identity theft or something like that? I’m really paranoid about that…
#56431 by thatgirl Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm
Also, I feel that it is worth noticing that the website, aupair.com is not register at iapa.org (International Au Pair Association) nor with any of the better business bureau.
#56432 by Justin Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:57 pm
Hello thatgirl,

More times than not the scammers are only after quick money. All the information they request is just done so to make their story look more legit. I would not worry too much and just tell them you have found employment elsewhere then ignore them.

If your worried about identity theft just keep a close eye on your credit for a while.

#56435 by Anissa Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:16 pm
Hello
They sent me the same email yesterday, really are they scams ??
everything heard was very nice

Aupair Job In London UK(Habib Family)
Hello from Habib Family

We saw your Profile and decided to Contact you because
you seem like what we are looking for
We are Habib family from London and we have a daughter called Annetta

Annetta is a year old and is genuinely a quiet funny little child.
I am Mr Aziz Habib a Hindu by Religion But a British by citizenship and my wife's name is Victoria a Christain. we are looking
for an Aupair who would join our family would have very few duties
like taking Care of Annetta as we are always busy with work.

We live in London and our Home address is 3 Park Crescent London England W1B 1HT

We expect an au pair who is willing to have fun with our kid and enjoy
her. But also to help guide her in right and wrong.we want somebody
who is willing to work with us to bring the right atmosphere to our
home for the au pair and the family. There will be some light
housework and cooking. There will be a car available for the au
pair's use. we really just want my kid to feel safe, loved and happy
when we can't be there.

Get back to us with the details of your Availability via email [email protected]
You write us and we would give you the necessary details

Best Wishes
Habib Family

This message is sent to you by family Aziz.
Click here to view the profile of Aziz
#56436 by Anissa Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:27 pm
Hey thatgirl where do you live ?

I received the email yesterday and thought it was true, that's why I researched his direction that everything he said sounded very well, I think no one will pay your ticket flight for get to work with them...if you sent some information, tell him that you have moved and you will send the correct address, if is possible make him believe that you already working in other place.