Scams offering fake Au Pair positions
#146606 by magpie25 Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 pm
I contacted a family through www.greataupair.com to work as an au pair in China. The father asked me to deal directly with an agency so they could go through the details and arrange a visa. I was put in contact with Olivia Hu at Au Pair Shanghai.
She asked me to fill out an application form and return it to her. She then said due to my experience (quite little) I was not suited to the position but had another family who were interested. I was then passed Skype details for her colleague Roni Yan. He arranged the details with me and I skyped the mother for about ten minutes although she did not speak much english.
They would like me to look after their eight year old daughter who lives with her grandparents in Beijing. I work 30 hours a week with one day off and get manderin lessons. I get approx £100 a month 'pocket money'. Roni put me in contact with another au pair in beijing who I added on facebook and is also from the UK. He seems geniune.I have checked the website which looks ok and nothing has come up on google to say they are a scam.
Roni has paid for my flight to hong kong to get my visa and then to beijing to meet the family. He has asked for no money up front.
I read something in one of these forums saying that the only good agency is HSS and the other agencies do not do what they promise in terms of time off and language lessons.
I do not yet have an address of where I will be living and have not spoken to the little girl or grandparents, although the agency were eager for me to skype the mother.
Does this sound like a scam and how can I protect myself to make sure I get what I am promised?
Advertisement

#152923 by Nfleming Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:48 pm
I am also rather interested to know about this program as well.
I am currently filling out my paperwork to be placed with a family through aupairshanghai.org.
Any information on this company would be greatly appreciated.
#167745 by lgraff56 Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:29 pm
My daughter has just graduated college and is planning to work as an Au Pair through Shanghai Au Pairs. I'm very worried that she will be abused or kidnapped. I have searched the internet and plan on contacting the state department to see if there are any complaints against this company. However, I have not found anything negative. If you have an experience with this company please let me know. I'm a concerned parent.
#224612 by flower56 Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:43 am
This is real agency, I worked for them for just over six months. Honestly I don't have any nice things to say about them, neither did my host family. I was very lucky to have a host family they were really good! A lot of other au pairs I knew that had any issues with their host family, when they brought it up to the agency they weren't helpful at all especially Roni. He is very nice and helpful when he is trying to get you over and nothing is a problem but when you are here he simply doesn't care. He is extremely rude and has cursed at me and other au pair numerous times and his favorite line is " I am sick of dealing with this now". Please don't let this discourage you about going to China. Chinese are really good people and I met some really amazing people while I was there. I just wouldn't recommend this agency at all. They are absolutely terrible!
#228039 by clngyn Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:48 am
I skyped Mitanni family and just this morning I got told that a family has chosen me as an au pair for their son. Since I've read the last post about Roni Yan I feel very insecure to go and I'm also scared something will happen to me. I hope more people can tell about their experience with this agency and everything in general.

Btw how do I send private messages I just don't get it ..
#230017 by Irene Wu Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:04 pm
:D I found this agency on internet and I already have thought about the program . So when I told my friends my decision, they are very excited. At the beginning, I doubt this agency and prepare the whole tasks such as application. But then, I am relaxed. Because the apply process is already done by agency and I just offer some information to them and they give me the contracts such as insurance, confirmation,or agreement. The teacher who contact with me in China is very careful. Now, I will go to China to be an aupair. Thanks everybody.