Scams offering fake Au Pair positions
#236689 by Trish418 Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 am
Hey all, I have been approached on Facebook by a mother looking for an Au Pair. I have been corresponding with them but decided to do some googling before I send any actual information their way because I thought it was suspicious...for one, the family offered me a monthly salary of $1800, with another $100 per week for personal expenses. Also, while they live in the USA she speaks rather poor English. She doesn't respond to any questions I ask, and it all went way too fast without even so much as a Skype meeting. Moreover, even though she has only one child she continued to refer to her as "them" which makes it look like a copy-paste job. She then emailed me this:

Hi,
Thanks for your message am excited you like our family, I spoke with my husband and he agreed you can come over,its just our daughter now, so we are looking it to make it bigger family by you joining us.Our kid loved everything I told her about you so I'll want us to start preparations as soon as possible and get everything set because I believe the VISA processing takes some time.

About the Visa, flight and other traveling documents, I believe its best we get them through an agency because of our past experience from our neighbor: so I believe it's best to apply through them, they helped our neighbor with their last Au pair and it was very fast, smooth so we also feel very secure patronizing them. We want to make sure that you have a valid VISA and documents so that when you get to the US there wont be any hitch whatsoever.
Our friends had their first Au pair In the year 2014 from Finland that processed an invalid VISA more like a tourist VISA instead of a J1 VISA and was later caught some few weeks after staying with them which cost them so many Court cases, please in that case I hope you are okay with this security measure.

Concerning your Visa processing and all traveling expenses, I believe you know that our family must also pay some amount of money too, that means you will also be paying your own part of the total traveling expenses which is affordable I believe, but right now I cannot give you the current cost breakdown and processing details except you make contact.I want us to make progress without any delay so that you can join us soonest.

In regards to this, you will have to contact Mrs Jones (The International Relations Officer) of the America aupair Agency on this email: [email protected] for all details of the processing of your Visa, Work Permit,Medical Insurance, Flight Tickets and other traveling documents including the Total Cost,please tell her "Your name, Your Full contact address and your personal cell phone number with international dialing code, your country and how long you intend staying with us and when you will wanna start and that you have found your American Host family (Lewis's Family with ID NY14621 living in 291 Clinton Ave Cedarhurst, NY 11516,USA)

Then Please kindly get back to me with whatever they tell you so that we can discuss better about the payment. I will be expecting your reply soonest. Make sure you contact them as soon as possible as we can't wait to have you here with us. I attached a picture of a room provided for you, its a little untidy, I hope you like it...

I've seen the last part of the email on this website....so I wanted to check with others if they feel like this is another scam. As of yet I have not sent any money, documents or personal information other than my email address and my Skype-name (I don't think they can do much with that - right?).

What would be a good response? They are expecting me to contact the au pair agency, even though I have already checked and it does not seem to be on the official list of sponsoring agencies.
Advertisement

#236691 by AlanJones Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:00 am
It is a definite scam. This post viewtopic.php?p=191369#p191369 details the procedures and requirements for becoming an au pair in various countries, including the USA. In the USA, it is not possible to become an au pair unless you go through one of the authorised agencies that are listed on the State Department website - no other agency is allowed to sponsor au pairs. Additionally, the only way to contact them is as detailed on the State Dept website.

[email protected] is a free email address, not something that a legitimate agency would be using.

The best thing to do is just stop responding to the scammer - don't tell them you know it is a scam (or even that you are not interested), just block them and do not reply any further.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.