#13122 by Ted Baker Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 am
This arrived in one of my catcher accounts.
The Dive Store is real, but the email address is not theirs.
As it happens, I do not have a store - online or not.

This looks like an attempt to scam money from a stolen credit card or similar where I am sure the recipient will be asked to take an overpayment and to send the residue to another party (fake courier or shipping company) resulting in either an innocent CC holder or the store holder being out of pocket.

Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.103.40.3 with SMTP id s3cs7358muj;
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:20:42 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.101.53.19 with SMTP id f19mr8234952ank.157.1250756441849;
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from sunny.pcm.bz ([76.76.22.223])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id 3si3941708yxe.44.2009.08.20.01.20.41;
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 76.76.22.223 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) client-ip=76.76.22.223;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 76.76.22.223 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) [email protected]
Received: from nobody by sunny.pcm.bz with local (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
id 1Me2sw-0000JY-G6
for [email protected]; Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:20:38 -0400
To: [email protected]
Subject: Order To Au
Reply-To: [email protected]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:20:38 -0400
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - sunny.pcm.bz
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - sunny.pcm.bz

Hi,
I want to place an order in your store,and i will like to know if you ship to Australia and my method of payment will be credit card.so please let me know if you can assist me with the order ,And please do not forget to include your web page in your replying back to my mail.I will await your prompt response as soon as you receive this mail,i will be very glad if you treat this email with good concern...

Best Regards
Dave Collins
Shipping Address:
New style store inc.
Abyss Scuba Diving Street
587 Rocky Point Rd Ramsgate City:
SYDNEY NSW.... Australia
Zip Code: 2217.
Tel. (+601) 3655 0967 ...

Stickied - Jillian
Advertisement

#13123 by Ralph Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 am
Just noting the address and phone number given for the diving store

SYDNEY NSW.... Australia

This phone number is not a Sydney phone number

This is the actual address and phone number
Abyss Scuba Diving Pty Ltd(02) 9583 9662
278 Rocky Point Rd
Ramsgate NSW 2217
#13205 by The Enchantress Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:49 pm
Noted this search on phrase from scammers mail click here

Note also this scam mail received last month;

My name is Douglas Patti,
I want to place an order in your store, and I will like to know if you ship to Australia and my method of payment will be credit card??? So please let me know if you can assist me with the order.

I will await your prompt response as soon as you receive this mail.

I will be very glad if you treat this email with good concern...

Regards

Douglas Patti

DRAGO INC
84 Nelson Place, Williamstown
3016 Victoria Australia
[email protected]

Concerning "douglas patti" see this website;

http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/AJIS.541-258-0773/2009/8/Online-Order-Scam-Averted/359209

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#13865 by coolhorse.com Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:51 am
We just received the following pair of emails, also from Dave Collins:

Hello,

here is what i will like to order for,

Code: COOLVB ---------qty:15
Cactus Saddlery rawhide covered, Visalia leather wrapped, 2 1/2" deep, 5" wide, and 4 1/2" tall.

Code: 30201A ---------qty:15
Rawhide covered, leather wrapped Cactus Saddlery Kids stirrup. 4" tall, 3 1/2" wide, 3" deep

Code: SOS---------------qty:15
Step Up Stirrup

I will like you to get back to me with the total cost and the shipping cost.and here is the address below to add the shipping cost via ups or fedex or any other alternative shipping company.and please kindly get back to me if this items is in stock because i do not want any delay on this.

Shipping Address:
New style store inc.
SYDNEY NSW.... Australia

Do this on time so that i can be able to give you my credit card information and complete my order for me.

Best Regards

NOTE: THIS IS A RESALE ORDER.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 3:39 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Order To Au

Hi,
I want to place an order in your store,and i will like to know if you ship
to Australia and my method of payment will be credit card.so please let me
know if you can assist me with the order ,And please do not forget to
include your web page in your replying back to my mail.I will await your
prompt response as soon as you receive this mail,i will be very glad if you
treat this email with good concern...

Best Regards
Dave Collins

Shipping Address:
New style store inc.
SYDNEY NSW.... Australia
#13866 by Ralph Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:03 am
Hi Coolhorse

Welcome to Scamwarners

Thank you for posting this additional information, it will help to prevent others from being scammed.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
#18455 by streamreed Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:44 pm
Thank you for posting this information. We just received an email message from Dave Collins for a large order shipping to Belgium. It seemed fishy, and when we did a search on the company "New Style Store, Inc.", all we found was your warnings. So thank you!
#19633 by DaveRoy Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 pm
same scam, but notice the new address Belgium

Hi,
I want to place an order in your store,and i will like to know if you ship to Belgium and my method of payment will be credit card.so please let me know if you can assist me with the order ,And please do not forget to include your web page in your replying back to my mail.I will await your prompt response as soon as you receive this mail,i will be very glad if you treat this email with good concern...

Best Regards
Dave Collins

Shipping Address:
New style store inc.
Address: 87, Lozenberg
B-1961 Zaventem
Tel: +61 3 792 10 70
Zipcode: 1831
#19634 by Michelle Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:30 pm
Thank you for updating with the additional details.

Has this been sent from an e-mail address that has been previously mentioned in this thread, or a new one ?

People looking for information on this kind of scam will tend perform a search on an e-mail address before anything else.

#19938 by marker Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:48 pm
we almost fell for this same scam -- actually went through several days of back and forth emails, and prepared the order! here is the original email, from DRAGO STORE PTY with a subject line: "order to australia":

Greetings from Drago Store Pty. My name is Douglas Patti the CEO of the company. i will like to place order on some products in your company,but i would like to know if you ship to Australia and also do you accept Visa or Master card as method of payment? Please do not forget to include your web page in your replying back to my message and get back to me as fast as possible so that i can let you know the product i would like to order. Please email me back with the current price list on the products if you website is not updated.

Thank you....

Yours Sincerely,
Douglas Patti.

We followed up and rec'd his order from our website, but it didn't seem quite right -- We have had legitimate orders to Australia, but the items he ordered did not make sense. We questioned him about one item in particular, and he did not respond.... Still, we prepared the order for shipment, and when we were ready to take his credit card info, this was his reply (at this point we knew we were being scammed):

Thanks for the total quote of my order.The total cost of my order is quite correct and okay by me and I'm ready to pay the bills .Also want you to help me Charge another $450 to my shipping agent branch office USA who is going to pick up the items in your location.

The $450 that will be sent to the shipping agent is for the shipping of my order plus other items i ordered from different countries which will be deduct from my credit card.Also, I'm compensating you with the sum of $100 for the transfer fee and for your efforts. Please note that i should have given the shipping agency my credit card for him to deduct the shipping funds but he told me that he doesn't have the facilities to charge or debit credit card ,so that's why i bring my vote of confidence in you and i don't want you to betray the vote of confidence i put in you, so i want you to transfer the funds to him after you have make the charges and the money charged from my credit card is in your account,then you can now make the transfer to the agent via Moneygram.i will have love to do this my self but there no western union here around me,So the charges you'll make on my credit card will be:

Order Fees ($912.00)
Agent fee with shipping fare ($450)
Transfer Fee plus Your Compensation ($100)
Total:($1,462.00)

Note that my credit card will be charged for the amounts above .

Please do get back to me if you are in the office right now??? so that i can forward my credit card details to you , then you can charge full amount and transfer the agent funds to him via Moneygram transfer.
Warmest Regards
Douglas Patti.

we just ignored his emails from that point on.

thanks to others for posting their experiences; hopefully others will not fall victim.
#19942 by The Enchantress Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:07 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners marker. Well Done on spotting the scam.

Thank You for posting this - it will alert and save others from being scammed.

Could you please post the mail address being used by this scammer.

The mail address posted earlier was [email protected]

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#19972 by Ralph Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:41 pm
I am seeing this scam more and more often lately, even the various government run online fraud sites have little clue as to how this scam works.

Most people believe that if a scammer was able to put money into your bank account, he would simply put it in his own and save himself the trouble but of course that is not correct.

If a scammer was to "flash" his own bank account, once the real owner realised the transaction had occured it would be reversed and his account closed.

He has absolutely no interest in the items you are selling him, the only interest is in you paying that delivery fee.

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
#19990 by marker Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 pm
Ralph, you are right -- it is a perplexing scam; i couldn't figure out how it worked at first. But here's what I think would happen (from my case, above):
We charge $1,462 to scammer's credit card (no doubt, stolen);
If we are foolish enough to follow through, we send $450 by moneygram/western union to his "agent";
the ordered items probably never get picked up (as you say, he has no interest in them);
the true owner of the credit card detects a fraudulent charge, and the $1,462 is reversed....
In the end, we lose the $450 sent by moneygram (and this is what the scammer "earns" on the scam)!

Pretty clever. We are basically focused on the larger sale, and the order and process are plausible -- right up until the part where we are asked to pay the shipping agent by moneygram.

Unfortunately, we provided an invoice and our contact info -- telephone numbers, emails, office and warehouse addresses -- to this scammer in a previous email. Not sure how he could use this, or if it has any value to other scammers, but I am sorry he got that much info from us. :x

Thanks again to those responsible for this site.
#19992 by Ralph Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 pm
Your assessment is 100% right but there could be other implications with you receiving money into your account that is effectively stolen, the emails you received from teh scammer should be enough to prevent you from being in trouble with the law but that is another possibility had you gone ahead with the transaction.

This scam normally targets the smaller businesses who in many cases are working from home, they will generally order unusual quantities of your products, often ordering a large amount of the first thing they see.

Many small business owners see the large order and how much they will make on teh sale and forget the possibilities of it being a scam.

While it is not ideal that this scammer has your details it isn't too bad for you so long as you take some precautions.

You may find the scammer or his associates will send you further attempts to scam you, these may now arrive by post or phone and may also include some of the details you provided them to look more realistic.

So long as you stay alert for the possibility of scams you will be OK.

You may also find this thread interesting viewtopic.php?p=14954#p14954