#21275 by Michelle Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 am
Had you continued, the subject of a cheque and sending money to 'shipper' will have cropped up:-

Mark Russel <[email protected]>
to Michelle
date 2 February 2010
subject Re: Computer technician
mailed-by yahoo.com
Signed by yahoo.com

Hello,

thank you for your response concerning the Repairs. In order to conclude our arrangement concerning repairing of the laptops, Like I told you my client will have the payment mailed out to you. The payment will be a check of $3,877, More so the shipping fee for the laptops to be delivered back to my place will be added to the payment in which will be $3,877 and you will have to deduct the money for the Service from the check and the rest will be sent to the shipper as soon as you have the cash avalable. I'll look forward to hearing from you to assure me you can handle this with all perfection. Regards and God Bless Please, do confirm the information you have provided me for payment to be mailed out to your address:

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

Thank you,
N.b Let me know If you have Agreed to help handle the shippers fee smoothly by sending out the funds via either western union money transfer or money gram money transfer.

Advertisement

#49256 by chum131 Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:38 pm
Hello All,

I have received the same reply from a "potential" employer. I have to honestly say that I almost fell for it and was going to deposit my check after getting it through the mail, in the amount of $4800. Minus my $1000 service fee. The ad that was listed on here looks exactly the same as the one I responded to. But the person that responded back is using a different name. I am listing the email that I got for your reference so that others do not fall for this scam. Thanks for the info and helping me not fall for this scam.

regards,

Chico

(initial reply email to my response to the Craigslist ad for "Computer Tech")

Hi
In response
to your interest in regard to my ad on craigslist. I have 10 HP laptops. Below is a list of what is needed to be done on each PC.
1) Format Hard Drive
2) Install
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
3) Install Microsoft Office Package
4) AVG Virus Software
5) Adobe Acrobat Reader
6) Run standard Windows system tests.
All the laptops are the same model and I have all the necessary softwares needed for the service installations. Let me know what you would be charging to get this done? Please I will appreciate a direct answer to this.
I await your urgent response.

(2nd email response after my reply to his email)\

Hello,
I am satisfied with your asking price as long as you can put all the systems in good order. I will instruct my account manager to prepare payment for you within the next 5 working days.
My company uses a mover that offers 100% refund for damages incurred during shipment. But among their numerous safety policy is to ship items only where 'payment for shipment'( to and fro) is paid directly from location of shipment. Therefore, I will include the cost of shipment with the payment I would be sending to you.
The payment would be delivered via US postal service. I will supply you with the tracking information as soon as it is mailed out. You are to deduct your charge then send the remaining to the moving company. They will deliver the pc and come back to pick it up as soon as you are done with it.
I will need the following information in order to send the check.
Full name
Home address
City
State
Zip code
Tel
Awaiting your reply

(last email)

Hello,

I am sorry for the slight delay, but this is to inform you that the fund for the repair and shipping of the laptops would be delivered to you today via usps with tracking number EO99 0704 685U S. You can track it yourself on (www.usps.com). You are to deposit it at your bank once you receive it. The check should clear under few hours. You can confirm that by checking your account online later in the day.

Deduct your portion for the services you would be rendering , then send the remaining to my shipper through Western Union Money Transfer.
The laptops would be shipped to you as soon as the Western Union Money Transfer confirmation is received by the moving company. I will get back to you with the shipment tracking number and delivery time of the units. Transfer charges must be deducted from the shipping fee before the transfer is made. The excess funds is meant for insurance and shipping of the units to and fro.

Below is the name of the shipper and all necessary information needed for the transfer.

Nona Whynot
48 Marion St
Chicopee, MA

Get back to me with the following information via email as soon as you are through with the transfer.
A . The total amount sent after transfer fees has been deducted.
B . 10 Digit MTCN

This transaction has to be fully completed as soon as possible.

Kindly confirm receipt of this email.

Furthermore, I have confronted the person who sent me the email and he has gone so far as to reassure me that this is authentic. Email listed below is another example of our conversation.

"I am quite aware that a lot of scam is going on ............ But I can assure you that this is not one. The check is good and it would not clear the bank if it is not. It is a certified check. You can send an email the the account section of the company were the check was issued on [email protected] or [email protected]."

VERY CREEPY!!!
#49258 by David Jansen Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 pm
Welcome here chum131.

I am glad you didn't deposit that fake cheque! It is best to tear it up and throw away, or if you want to keep it, write "fake" on it.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#49261 by chum131 Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 pm
Thank you David. Here is the name and email address of the person that contacted me and attempted to scam me:

Sean Darlinton [[email protected]]

Thanks to All for the help.
#62566 by Gyp Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:49 pm
I responded to a job advertised on craigslist a couple days ago and corresponded with the scammer.
I just received a check for 2,990.30. I feel like I got undercut, even if it is a scam. Tracing the email, the source came from California, the check was sent by USPS from Georgia. I called the issuing bank when I opened the letter to make sure there were funds. The bank informed me that it was a fake because their bank doesn't issue any checks with the words CASHIER'S CHECK on them
I've never been prepaid in over 10 years working as a sub contractor in the IT field, so this rang a lot of bells and what nots when I received the email saying they would send me a check before sending the laptops.

So all in all beware of this email address too

Rodney Devine <[email protected]>

Good luck and keep yourself protected.