#172660 by agengo Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:59 pm
Hi everyone!

I'm a small business owner and I just received this request from one of my websites asking for a very large order. The English wasn't great and it reeks of scam.

What do you guys think? He asked for 450 of my items, I provided him a quote and then received this email from him:

Hello,
I will like to order 450 Red Coral Pendant Necklacest costing $6,750.... And i will recommend a freight company for the pick up of the items to (The Netherlands).. Now i want to you to contact them with the total weight of the items find out the freight quote to The Netherlands for me . The delivery address is below :

Shipping Address
Wilson Tata Ltd
Asterweg 14
6200 HN Amsterdam – Noord
0031 The Netherlands

Contact Person Name: James Fox
Freight Company Email Address : [email protected]
Try and CC me a copy of what you will be sending to the freight company...

And including the pick-up location and they will surely get you a freight quote .As soon as you hear from them let me know so that i can proceed with the transaction . I will make payment with my Credit Card......................
Best Regard
Advertisement

#172662 by Saviourofstupidity Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm
Yes, this is whats called "Carding" They are using stolen credit cards to pay for the goods, The address could also be a drop used from there mule.

What will happen is there will be chargebacks on the cards and you will end up getting jibbed for $6750 worth of items. Proceed with extreme caution, recommend using paypal. Also one thing that 95% of the time will prove its a scam or not is to ask to talk via telephone.
Say something like "for large orders I will need to complete this over the phone".

Try to create situations where you exploit them, scammers dont like to be exploited.
#172664 by Dotti Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:33 pm
It is a scam.

Email addresses at usa.com are free addresses, just like yahoo or gmail addresses. They will not be used by a legitimate shipping company.

As savior said, there will be chargebacks.

But in this case, they most likely aren't after the goods at all. They are probably going for cash. If the total order is $6750, they will want to charge more (for example, the fake freight company may claim that shipping costs are $1000, so they will ask you to charge $7750.) They will ask you to take the extra money, and send it (usually by wire transfer) to their "freight company (who is not really a freight company, but is a mule for the scammers.) When the owner (or the credit card company) discovers the fraudulent charges, the chargeback will come. If you sent the "freight company" the cash, it now comes out of your own account.

The scammers, who were using fake information, will disappear with your money. Nobody will ever come for the merchandise, because what they were after is the cash.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#172666 by Gateway Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 pm
Try to create situations where you exploit them, scammers dont like to be exploited

Please do not do that, it is best is that you learn from the experience and have no more contact with the scammer, ignore them and they will go away.

If you wish you can email me at
[email protected]

How to get E-Mail Headers
http://www.isipp.com/resources/email-headers/
#172676 by vonpaso xlura Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 pm
Stop talking to them. Don't give them any clue that you know that they're scammers, much less how you know they're scammers. We don't want scammers to become better at scamming. Send all emails from them to /dev/null.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#172694 by Gateway Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:26 pm
Why wouldnt you exploit them? They will stop contact and you will know 100% that its a scam.
But to each their own I guess

The scammer contacted agengo via one of his websites which is connected to his real life details, it is never a good idea to "exploit" criminals in this manner.

As I said it is best to stop all contact

If you wish you can email me at
[email protected]

How to get E-Mail Headers
http://www.isipp.com/resources/email-headers/