Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#253315 by Sunningdale Fri May 29, 2015 4:12 am
Hi, Looks like someone has just tried scamming me.

This guy texted :
mob no :+447418393069
Is your ad on gumtree still available? the condition and service history ? Reply me back via email [email protected] I don't get text thanks

When I corrosponded this is what I got,:
29 May 2015 08:07, "Peter Skins" <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me, i just want to make sure nothing has been left out and just so you know i am buying it as a gift. I will be buying this for the price you have listed it for. Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will arrange with a shipping company to have this picked up at your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment. Am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls is restricted and i can ONLY DEAL VIA PAYPAL as i don't have access to my bank here and i don't have online banking, so you can send me your PayPal email account so i can send the money at once and its easy to sign up for one just log on to http://www.paypal.com , Note: i'll also include the Shipping company's fee to the money am sending you and you will pay them on my behalf and they will provide you with details for the logbook and sign it, so kindly Get back to me with your PayPal email account so i can proceed with the payment thanks

Fobbed him off, thankfully checked your site out, Thanks for the advice.
Advertisement

#253438 by Mike Wilson Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Sunningdale,
This is a classic scam where they will send a spoofed email pretending to be PayPal. They will say the funds are on hold and ask you to send a payment an accomplice via Western Union. Anytime that you see PayPal and Western Union in the same email it is a scam. No exceptions.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#258329 by jlopink1980 Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:54 am
Hey,
Great to find your post thank you, I got the exact same message via text message and was about to reply to the email (thinking it was very odd) and I thought I'll just google the email address [email protected] just in case....and I found your little golden nugget.

The email I was going to send has been deleted and so has the text message :D

Thank you so much, I hope someone else finds this valuable site :D