Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#66777 by beenscammed2011 Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 pm
This is an attempt to scam me regarding an item that I had listed on Craigslist.
If you receive an email from Barry Johnson -Using emails: [email protected] or [email protected] run don't walk from this scammer. He will try to send you a check from Multimax, Inc Largo MD. It is fake! These are two of the emails that began this scam. Fortunately, I did not fall for this but, I did at first think this was a legitimate buyer. Again, never accept an out of town check of any kind and DO NOT send any money. If you want to sell something, deal with local folks and only accept CASH. I do hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply!

I perfectly understand the present condition as started in the Ad. I would have prefer cash-on-delivery or pickup. But i cannot due to my work which puts me in a very tight time frame. I'm ready to pay your asking price and I will like to proceed with payment via Bank Check. I'm in no rush with you till funds has been cleared in your bank or anything. I'll handle the pick up when payment has been cleared. Kindly e-mail me back with your Name: Address: City: State: Code :Phone Number. The payment should get to you within 2 to 3 business days via USPS. Please withdraw the advert from CL to avoid interruption.

Thanks
Barry Johnson.

2nd email received:
Hello,

The Certified Check has been mailed.

Please await the arrival of the check. I have sent your details to my bank to prepare the Check Payment.It will get to you via USPS postal service within 2 to 5 business days.The fund's will cover your payment and also shipment.I'm in no rush with you till funds has been cleared in your bank. You are required to deduct your fund then refund balance to the mover for him to be able to offset shipping and other tax charges. The mover's agent will come for pick up & signing of document when payment is cleared in your bank.

Kindly delete advert today then get back to me.

Thanks
Barry Johnson.

Lesson Learned and on high alert from now on!
Advertisement

#66803 by Katharina Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:07 pm
It's great you are reporting the scam attempts, and you can be sure your post will be read by other targeted persons. If you want to check, just come back sometimes and look at the view count of your post.
#296033 by carisabaird Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm
I just had a fraudulent experience with BARRY JOHNSON also! I had an antique display case for sale on Craigslist for $500. He texted me and said he wanted it, and that he would send a bank check, and didn't mind waiting until it cleared to send a picker out to get it. I asked where he lived, and what kind of store he had (just curious), and he replied that he was in Nebraska, and his girlfriend was looking for a similar case. I was suspicious, but he used pretty good English (unlike most of the obvious scam emails I get), so I waited for the check. He paid almost $23 to send it Priority Mail, and when I opened it I was immediately more suspicious because his name was nowhere on it, and it was drawn on a different bank than he had said it would be. It was also under the account of Kellogg & Kimsey in Florida, from Sun Trust Bank. I google that company to inquire how Barry was connected to them . They promptly told me this guy had tried it a few weeks ago, and the checks are fake, and they have protection on their account, so it would never clear.
Always trust your suspicious instincts, folks!!
xxxxxxx
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue May 24, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information.