Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#301915 by patrickt Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 am
I'm sure this is a pretty common scam but I wanted these usernames to show up if they're ever Googled. Hopefully this will help people from potentially falling for this scam. If you are selling an item on eBay and it is purchased by either "stevepal" or "scotwheele-0", it is a scam.

I put a laptop up for sale. A few hours after it was purchased by a user called stevepal. I received an email which looked like it was from eBay saying:

Dear Seller,

We are pleased about your effort in regards to your un-quantifiable patronage on eBay online mart, and for listing the defined item on eBay. This is to inform you that we have restored the eBay listing involving you and Steve Palmer (stevepal) which was removed back on the eBay database. We have intensively investigated the issue, its yield to a result of discovering that the legitimate buyer and owner of the account had already purchased the item before a third party had access to the buyer's eBay user account.

We sent you an email regarding the purchase and the buyer’s eBay user account. These issues have now been resolved and you are require to tend the transaction to continuity.You must remove the item listing or stop the sale of the item to any other buyer if you have re-listed the item before receiving this message."

I then received a message from the user:

"I just received an email from eBay saying something is wrong with my eBay account, I knew where the problem came from. I had logged on my eBay account into another device that was why eBay thought my account was accessed by a third party and they relisted the item due to their over zealousness. They decided to protect us both. The issues with my account have now been resolved and confirmed by eBay."

Later on the user told me to check my spam/junk folder for payment confirmation emails from PayPal. I received numerous confirmations from fake PayPal email addresses claiming that the item had been paid for and that I would receive my money once I sent the item to the following address:

Oluwafemi Marian,
108, Iganmode Road,
Sango Ota,
Ogun State,
Nigeria.

Obviously a scam. I relisted the item soon after. It was purchased by a user called scotwheele-0. Exact same scenario.

"Hi

I just received an email from eBay saying something is wrong with my eBay account, I knew where the problem came from. I had log on my eBay account into another device that was why eBay thought my account was access by a third party and they relisted the item due to their over zealousness. They decided to protect us both. The issues with my account have now been resolved and confirmed by eBay.

How are you doing ? I precisely purchased the item on behalf of a folk of mine in West Africa who works in America Refineries. I have sorted out the postage cost via International Post Standard and i have added it accordingly to the cost of the item. I want the item posted via International Post Standard.

Here is the postage address

Name: Derrick David
1, Oseni Street,
Ijeshatedo,Aguda,
Surulere,Lagos,
Nigeria.
+2348179378467.

Have you receive a confirmation of payment? if not kindly check your SPAM/JUNK mail. DONT DECLARE ITEM VALUE ON THE ITEM, ALSO WRITE ON IT BIRTHDAY GIFT.

Regards."

Another phishing account.

This is incredibly annoying as I cannot relist the item for another month due to reaching eBay's $2500 cap. After a quick search I found other people had fallen victim to this scam. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76969&p=186110

Hopefully by posting this I can save someone from being scammed.
Advertisement

#301916 by AlanJones Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:38 am
Please post the email addresses used by the scammers - other victims may be searching for them.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#364056 by stevenfirstbank Tue May 08, 2018 9:19 am
This is the email I got:

Email from : [email protected]

Image result for first bank logo

Dear

This is an automated generated email from First Bank ™ to inform you that an online transfer was made on your behalf today from our bank for your item dubizzle . This payment online was made today. This amount, xxx was paid in today by Ogunsola Steven and some Banking Details were retrieved from the payer that needs to be verified. Please notify us if these information provided by the sender are correct and after which you will proceed with the given guidelines below.

Dubizzle Seller Banking Information received :

xxx

Above is the Account Details we have received for the transfer and we need you to verify that the provided information is correct after which you MUST proceed with the given guideline below.

Image result for first bank

The payment has been approved and the transfer has been made but the money will only reflect on your account until the First Bank receives the receipt of the shipment verification which indicates that the item as was sent to the buyer. More information is Contained in our bank policy below

OUR BANK POLICY:

1st The bank First Bank inalienably the right, before the success of any auction transaction rightful Between the seller and the buyer respectively. First BankYou need to send the proof of delivery to us before the money transferred to your account can reflect, the shipment receipt can be a scanned copy of the receipt or tracking number written on the receipt. This is done to ascertain and affirm the degree of security between the seller and the buyer over the issue of irregularities in the Transaction caused by either of the two parties.

2. Payment into account is usually made immediately after the Seller's receipt has been received from Seller during any transaction made between Seller and His / Her buyer.

3. The parties may terminate the Office Net Agreement upon a one-month termination notice. All shipping details should be forwarded to this email for verification purpose

Under no circumstances will this guidelines / policies be defied by any dubizzle users. We advise that you, the dubizzle Seller, should not give the dubizzle Buyer the Tracking Number we ask of you. We are sorry for any inconveniences that this guidelines / policies might bring about; We have a responsibility to try our best to make sure that dubizzle remains the best Auction site.

To find out more about these fraudulent online sellers, please click on the link below for details.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_ news / 4386952.stm
Image result for first bank

Shipping Information as provided by the dubizzle Buyer (Steven):

Ogunsola Steven
13, IganmodeStreet,
Sango Otta
Ogun
Nigeria.

Thank you for using First Bank .
We look forward to serving your online payment needs in the future.

Sincerely,
From the Desk of the Manager,
Clearance & Delivery Dept.
Glenn McKenzie
First Bank ™Plc Transactions Department Officer. FIRST BANK® Transfer Payment.
First Bank Receipt (1).JPGFirst Bank Receipt (2).JPG