Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#340656 by TitanLife Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:04 pm
I sent them the code but as soon as I realized it was a scam, I went in a and changed my password on craigslist. Would that prevent them from doing anything in my name?

Bryon Williams wrote:Just ignore them and do not give them the code.

They will eventually go away.

Post the email address and email they sent you.
Advertisement

#347950 by HMcGeee Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 pm
This just happened to me! It's an old scam apparently that I'd never heard of ...exactly the same as above, French text with the "verification code". I was suspicious since I received a text from the "buyer" so quickly, like within 5 mins. I found an article about this scam and sent it to them. :x
#352482 by Boblly Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:38 pm
Received similar MSMs from [+1-323-489-4871] after posting an ad., asking for the verification code. Did not give it away, then no more messages came.
#355131 by NaTr Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:57 am
MtKevin wrote:Thanks for the info Bryon I had figured that the scam was somewhere along those lines but wasn't really sure. I listed below what had tipped me off to it being a scam and I hope these little tips help others avoid being scammed. The biggest was #3 no one does this on craigslist.....EVER!!!! lol

The dead giveaways were
1. The message had such bad english. Wasn't even bad texting English it was worse
2. They asked questions that the ad answered if they read it.
3. They didn't even try and talk me down on the price, just agreed to it.
4. Were very impatient and wanted the code now. The code was the only thing they were interested in. If I brought up the items in the ad they would either ignore my statement or said they wouldn't talk to me until they got the code to make sure "I" was not scamming them. lol
5. The text message I received that had the code on it was in French. If they were local then why did the message with the code be in french? I guess if you were sitting in a Internet cafe somewhere in Europe or Africa on Craigslist it would be in french.

I hope this message helps, if only 1 person finds this helpful and keeps them from giving away their code all this typing would have been worth it. Good luck to all out there and a big thank you to everyone who makes this site possible.

Thanks,
MtKevin

Thanks so much for posting this! So glad I checked this out before doing any sort of verification. Thank you! Thank you!
#364325 by Ererer Sat May 12, 2018 6:58 pm
I know this was posted a few years ago but can any of you who had this happen and actually sent the code let me know what ended up happening.
I stupidly just gave them the code and I’m so freaked out and don’t know what to do.
#367773 by Mantismom Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:58 pm
It’s a beautiful Sunday morning and I just found your website because I received a text message from phone number 702-687-8825 asking me for my “code number.” I have not heard this one before… So I looked it up and I found your information. Thank you so much!

The craigslist secret code they wanted me to give them was attached to an address; [email protected] - I don’t know enough about this… Is Carly Fogle another victim? Or is this person’s address the scammers email address?

My sister was a victim of a craigslist scam in New York. I wish there was a way to report these people right away and stop this crime. What more can we do?
#368766 by southernbelle Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:06 pm
I just received a text from the phone number (661)261-7403

They started out by asking if my dog that i had posted was available of course i said yes. Then they proceeded to ask me if it was real which i thought was strange i said yes... then i got a message saying "craigslist secret code for [email protected] is 37582. Do not share this code for any reason. Any request for it is a scam." which i thought was strange so i tapped on the email and emailed this person saying i dont know who you are but you just used my number for your post. then I get another text from the 661# saying hello sir? and i just went with it and said my post is real. he proceeded to say ok and ask for the code to know i was real. and from there i went off on him. my exact words were" excuse me? You're the one that is using my phone number? i do not appericate that. I am as real as it gets. You have a California area code so why are you looking for a dog in SC? and then i did some googling and see this post so i sent another text telling him "your not getting a scam out of me buddy. go to some other post. good try. better luck next time" then he ask me for the code again and i went off i said "hell no. i do not appericate what your trying to do. you need to get off your ass and get a job instead of trying to scam someone. and if i see another post about my dog i will hunt you down i promise. now go get a life loser. your messing with the wrong southerner today buddy." he said ok you really feck man bye" i was like feck really? i in return said learn some english dumbass. and i a southern belle and you dont want to f*ck with me buddy.... and still no response. :lol: :lol: thought it was too funny not to share my experience. But what makes it so bad is that i just posted my add at 11am et and got this within 30 minutes.
#370438 by NEVERKiLLTIME Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:15 pm
Someone just did this to my post as well. Sent a verification number from some random email and was persistent that they were "not a scam"... I wish there was a better way to report or blacklist numbers like this.

918-268-8076
#371140 by BigChan Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:21 pm
Yes, this exact thing happened to me today right after I put up the post immediately I get a message saying is it still available well yes it's still available I just posted it 30 seconds ago. Then immediately asking for the code to make sure the post is real and I'm not scamming him LOL and instead of giving him the code I gave him a link to this post with some screenshots and got a reply of f*** you immediately I guess he didn't like being called out and caught I wish I could attach the screenshot I took to this reply [img]
#372489 by klk Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:59 pm
This just happened to me in the New York area.

First message was:
I wanna buy '<title of my posting here>' . you still available?

I sniffed something was wrong, but was curious.

I replied cautiously, and this was their follow up:
I will send you a quick verification code from google, if your post is real send me the code, You know most of the post is fake, Can I send the code?

The ingenious thing here is for the scammer to pose as if he/she is the one under threat. It makes you feel as if you want to help them. But don't.

I can only surmise this is a scripted/automated operation that harvests craigslist accounts and then sells them to scammers who need them.

I hope this info helps someone else. This post helped convince me to not continue with the interaction. So thank you to everyone here.
#372864 by MikeAD65 Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 pm
This looks like an old scam but it was tried on me yesterday. I received a text from 288401. That's all no phone number. The email addresses attached is [email protected] Thing is I got this from someone I thought I could trust. I have helped her a couple of times with cash transfers. Money sent to me ($650.00) that I then split up and gave to 4 people who live here. I have done that 5 times over the last 6 months, and will likely be asked to do it again in a couple of days. I have had a lot of money sent to me by this woman through MoneyGram. Who sends that kind of cash to someone they intend to scam their Craigslist account? I could very easily keep the money and say thank you. None of them know where I live other than the city. I would very much like to know if anyone else has had this happen from someone they trust, or at least thought you could trust. If so what happened.
#372869 by AlanJones Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:50 pm
It sounds to me like you are being used by a scammer to launder money for them - there is no legitimate reason for someone to send money to a third party to have them distribute it. And the scammer has now found another use for you - validating their craigslist account.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#372870 by MikeAD65 Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:56 pm
Thank you, that's what I was beginning to think as well. I guess I'll just have to turn it around and screw with her and have a little fun before cutting it off.
#372871 by AlanJones Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:02 pm
MikeAD65 wrote:I guess I'll just have to turn it around and screw with her and have a little fun before cutting it off.

That would be a pretty dumb thing to do as you are dealing with a criminal who is using totally fake details, but has your real life details and known associates local to you. The best thing to do would be to block "her" and stop responding/accepting money from "her".

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.