Room for Rent and other rental scams
#405391 by Michelle Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:40 am
Helena Wolters <[email protected]>

Hey,

As I mentioned in my first email, my current place of residence is: Rhoon, Netherlands, that is why I trusted Homeaway which offers a simple control process for owners and new tenants. They will check me as the owner of the apartment and you as potential tenant, because I travel already for a supposed tenant and when I arrived there he did not answer anymore. I have lost money and time.

If you agree with the process, please provide the following information:
- Complete the name of the future tenant;
- Current address ( street , city , country, zip code );
- Telephone number;
- Date when you want to move;
- Rental period you want to stay;
- How many person will stay in apartment;
- I need also a copy of your ID or passport to complete the lease agreement.

The price for 1 month of rent is 870 Euros and I want also 1000 Euro as deposit ( the kaution 1000 Euro you will receive back when you leave the apartment ). The rent I want to receive it monthly to my bank account.

After you will give me your details I will inscribe you as a tenant on Homeaway and make the reservation on your name. You will not pay any additional commission or other taxes.
Homeaway will send you the Booking that you must complete with all the required information.
Please let me know if you agree with my conditions.
I am waiting for your reply.

Thank you!
Helena

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#405432 by AJDe555 Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:36 pm
Helena Wolters <[email protected]>

Hey,

As I mentioned in my first email, my current place of residence is: Rhoon, Netherlands, that is why I trusted Homeaway which offers a simple control process for owners and new tenants. They will check me as the owner of the apartment and you as potential tenant, because I travel already for a supposed tenant and when I arrived there he did not answer anymore. I have lost money and time.

If you agree with the process, please provide the following information:
- Complete the name of the future tenant;
- Current address ( street , city , country, zip code );
- Telephone number;
- Date when you want to move;
- Rental period you want to stay;
- How many person will stay in apartment;
- I need also a copy of your ID or passport to complete the lease agreement.

The price for 1 month of rent is 75p Euros and I want also 1000 Euro as deposit ( the kaution 1000 Euro you will receive back when you leave the apartment ). The rent I want to receive it monthly to my bank account.

After you will give me your details I will inscribe you as a tenant on Homeaway and make the reservation on your name. You will not pay any additional commission or other taxes.
Homeaway will send you the Booking that you must complete with all the required information.
Please let me know if you agree with my conditions.
I am waiting for your reply.

Thank you!
Helena

Please make no mistake.And than you,i have found on time this post !
#424236 by newtenant Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:36 am
I know the post is old, but I also received the message from a similar email called [email protected] a year ago or so.

I had a profile on some apartments rental platform and there was an ad where I applied. Some time after that, I got an email from the "property owner" asking to register on a web-site for remote key handover and payment. (Also, I was stupid enough to share some of my personal information.) Fortunately, I haven't paid anything, and quite soon I was contacted by the rental platform saying that one of the ads was fake.

So be careful in case if you get an email from a similar address. And of course, don't email anything back.