Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#32462 by Bait Runner Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 am
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-MacBook-Air-Lockerz-Invite-/190415313959?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item2c55a31c27

I've been shopping for a used computer and have noticed a disturbing trend of "Lockerz.com" invites being listed on ebay as if they were actual laptops or ipads. The auctions have all the pictures and product specs, some even offer "free shipping" and then at the bottom the seller admits that they are just selling an "invitation" to a website called Lockerz.com where products like laptops can supposedly be earned by viewing advertisements. I'm also quite certain that Lockerz has actively manipulated their Google positioning so that searches return articles that assure users that the site is legit. Google "Is Lockerz a scam" and you'll see what I mean.

Regardless of whether anyone ever actually earns prizes on Lockerz I consider listing like the one I've linked to to be fraudulent and have started reporting them to ebay whenever I encounter them.
Advertisement

#34640 by JC Denton Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:24 am
I can't say anything about Lockerz itself as I've never used it, but at the very least we're dealing with incompetent people who can't read and post stuff in the wrong section accidentally (and *still* manage to break eBay rules, there's a limit of 15 identical items at once); at worst they are indeed spammers and scammers. I'm definitely leaning toward the latter but I don't have much proof.

I used to report these too before I became convinced eBay was completely ignoring all my reports (not just this, even stuff that was blatantly in violation of the rules stayed up until the end of the auction). If you find an auxiliary site or something we'd be glad to kill that though ;)