Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#4276 by mrneller Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am
Classic Craigslist scam, I've been playing along. The money order is being sent to me today supposedly.

I have reported the scam to the FBI site (IC3.gov), it does not look like they care (No response except an automated one.)

They are using a gmail address so IP info is not available.

Can I get them identified or get the email and check evidence in the hands of someone who cares? Or should I just screw with them?

I doubt my local cops would be able to do anything but I suppose they would be a last resort.

thanks!
Advertisement

#4277 by Chris Martins Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 pm
Hi mrneller,

Welcome here!

Craigslist scammers are a slippery lot. There is almost no chance you will be able to stop them with the information you have. Messing with them is a great idea, but you should learn to do it safely. While the chances of anything bad happening to you are very slim, it isn't worth any risk at all.

There are a number of sites that specialize in scambaiting. Check out 419eater.com. They have lots of good advice and tools for baiting effectively and safely.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#4279 by Holly Brown Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 pm
If they do indeed snail-mail you a money order, take it to the Post Office. They take mail fraud very seriously.

#4280 by Ralph Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:34 pm
Good advice Titania, thank you.

Obviously dont attempt to cash the money orders when you get to the post office :wink: