Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#252893 by RobertG Tue May 26, 2015 12:17 pm
Beware the latest scammer on ebay, seems to have returned with another selection of cars and boats, all in Scotland; and selling on behalf of his dead brother.....

The boat is still for sale. All paperwork present. I do not reside in Inverness, Scotland we are based in Berlin, Germany. I will get somebody to bring it to you if you decide to buy it but we have to close the deal through eBay. My friend is not in Inverness and will be traveling from a distance so I must be sure and not put him on the road based on words, no one would, because we have no one in Inverness at the moment.

Delivery can be arranged in 3-5 days and you will have the chance to inspect it before I get paid, only if we go through PayPal as well. We will use PayPal - Pay After Delivery which gives you 14 days for the boat to be delivered before any funds are released to me. PayPal will securely hold the funds. Please read below about PayPal (Pay after delivery).

https://www.paypal.co.uk/pay-after-delivery-more/

Everything is covered by eBay, they will keep your money secured during the inspection period. This purchase protection guarantees that the boat is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you'll have 5-7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the boat in good order.

If you want it, let me know your ebay user id, paypal email along with a phone number and your name, address where it must be delivered so i can register the sale with ebay to proceed.

If you will decide to not go through now then is not a problem I still quite have a few more offers from potential buyers. Hopefully, I made myself understood and we will be closing the deal. I look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks
ian holloway

When asked if I could get someone to inspect the boat, I received..

I have no one there at this time but could easily get this sorted within the next few days if you agree to get the ball rolling as explained using PayPal PAD and eBay which will be through a secure buy it now listing via eBay. Ian
Advertisement

#254822 by concernedneighbour Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:39 pm
looking for advice for a neighbour.
the same guy with exactly the same emails has been in touch with friends who wanted to buy a tractor. when we found this post we were surprised at your message as his emails to them were exactly the same. unfortunately for them they got scammed. im not saying for how much but lets say i could go on holiday with a family of four first class for the same price. ebay were no help what so ever and because they never did the transaction through paypal and did it via a bank transfer, the money has gone. what i am after is advice for them regarding this nasty piece of work. the police have been informed and are investigating, the bank have frozen his account and are looking into it and they are looking at going down the watchdog route, trading standards, CAB and national press. any advice from anyone finding this scumbag would be greatfuly received. many thanks.
#254823 by Bryon Williams Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:48 pm
Have your friend report it to Action Fraud. http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Also have them post the emails sent to them. Post the email headers as well.

Make sure to remove their name and personal information from the emails prior to posting.

Most important post the email that had the bank account in it to transfer the money.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#254824 by TerranceBoyce Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:32 pm
The scale of the problem is not widely known among the general public 'concernedneighbour', but it is massive and it operates on an industrial scale. My speciality is Autotrader UK fraudulent car adverts and that leaves me little time for anything else. I have a daily updated rolling thread here which lists the scam ads. Others work on other areas like ebay and property rental scams.

All in all there are some very fundamental problems with online commerce and the banking system which makes this type of fraud very simple for criminals.

Recently Autotrader UK have stepped up a gear in removing fraudulent adverts and, though I have no direct contact with them, I feel confident that they know of my existence, if only from the volume of reports I submit. Ideally we would like a good relationship with them as we seek the same thing, the suppression of fraudulent adverts. Some of the fraudsters operate across several ad sites, so there is undoubtedly some loose form or organisation connecting them and, to organise the bank accounts, suggests that there is a lot more than one individual working from his bedroom.

The way that the banking system is so easily used to launder stolen money is a major concern, especially for me, as I retired from banking and legally, no bank should hold any account involved in crime. We know very well that there are hundreds in the UK, but most likely thousands, and the accounts are so easily opened that they are being used as 'one time use' tools for fraud.

Personally I would like to see banks take fingerprints when bank accounts are opened, as so many accounts are being opened against fake ID's, but that would be controversial.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#257900 by PENELOPEE Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:05 pm
Hi, Just been scammed by this person and has cost me dearly. Reported to Police etc, but if anyone has any info about he/she please let me know! Scam involved the use of ebay and paypal. Also gave me the story about dead brother! Please see below,

The van is still for sale. All paperwork present. I do not reside in Inverness, Scotland we are based in Berlin, Germany. I will get somebody to bring it to you if you decide to buy it but we have to close the deal through eBay. My friend is not in Inverness and will be traveling from a distance so I must be sure and not put him on the road based on words, no one would, because we have no one in Inverness at the moment.

Delivery can be arranged in 3-5 days and you will have the chance to inspect it before I get paid, only if we go through PayPal as well. We will use PayPal - Pay After Delivery which gives you 14 days for the van to be delivered before any funds are released to me. PayPal will securely hold the funds. Please read below about PayPal (Pay after delivery).

https://www.paypal.co.uk/pay-after-delivery-more/

Everything is covered by eBay, they will keep your money secured during the inspection period. This purchase protection guarantees that the van is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you'll have 5-7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the van in good order.

If you want it, let me know your ebay user id, paypal email along with a phone number and your name, address where it must be delivered so i can register the sale with ebay to proceed.

If you will decide to not go through now then is not a problem I still quite have a few more offers from potential buyers. Hopefully, I made myself understood and we will be closing the deal. I look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks
ian holloway
#316551 by vexed Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:38 am
Be warned about this piece of sh-t.
He changes names slightly,but the MO is the same.
he was after 4250 GBP from me for a motorcycle.
Email source is Mountain View ,Los Angeles,whether this is a proxy I dont know.The IP is:
You can look up a fairly accurate position with the details below.
Google Map for 74.125.82.66
Mountain View, United States

Sent: 09 January 2017 22:08:19

To: K K
Subject: Re: chopper

Unfortunately I am working in Dublin at the moment for the next few months...and Inverness is a bit to far to arrange viewing for each offer i get. I suggest going through eBay for your peace of mind. As for payment we will use PayPal - Pay After Delivery which gives you 14 days for the bike to be delivered/inspected before any funds are released to me. Regarding delivery someone will collect the bike and will transport it safely to your location.

Please read (Pay after delivery) terms by clicking on the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/p ... very-terms

This purchase protection guarantees that the bike is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you'll have 5-7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the bike in good order.

Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few more offers from potential buyers. If you do want to go ahead please email me your daily contact number and your post code.

Kind Regards,
Ian & Chloe