Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#33922 by AboynamedEtter Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:24 pm
Has anyone had a run-in with Matt Gissy ([email protected])?
His email was used to list a very new, very fast MacBook Pro a month ago for a considerably inexpensive price (particularly because it includes very expensive software). Surprised that it'd still be up on the site, I emailed. These followed:

Me:
Hi Matt,
I saw your ad posted on Craigslist for your MacBook Pro 17". I also saw that it was posted almost a month ago. Is it still available?
Thanks

Reply:
The macbook is available for sale. I bought the macbook 3 months ago and it has 21 months of warranty.The price is $800.It comes with all original accessories.
Where are you located ?

Me:
(I told him the city I live in)
$800 is just the slightest bit high for us at this time; would you accept $750?
Also, is there a good time soon that we could meet? We'd really like to try it out and see if it meets our needs, ask questions about programs and such.

Reply:
$750 is ok.
I am sorry but I am in New York now.
If you want , we can make the deal thru a shipping company ( I will send the macbook first and I will provide you the tracking number so you can track it online ) The shipping will take 2 days ( the price include shipping fees )
the warranty is transferable.

thank you !

Me:
Which company are you thinking of using? Also, would we need to pay beforehand or after we receive the computer? And through what means (PayPal, credit card through UPS, check, etc)?
If it is easier to talk over the phone, we can do that.

Reply:
These are the steps :
1. I`ll send the macbook to you , then I`ll provide you the tracking number so you can track the package online.
2. Global Postal ( the shipping company ) will contact you with an invoice with all the details regarding shipping and payment.
3. You must pay to the available agent assigned for this transaction ( to a Global Postal employee ) He will hold your payment until you receive your macbook
4. You receive the macbook
5. You have 30 days to inspect the macbook and if you don`t like it , you can return it ( with no extra costs )
6. If you decide to keep it ( after 30 days ) the Global Postal agent will transfer the money to me ( only with your consent )
If you accept , give me your full address and name so I can start the shipping.
Thank you !

Me:
Do you know of a website or contact information for Global Postal? The only place I could find was a company in Chicago and they only ship locally.

Reply:
http://global-postal-delivery.tk/

thank you !

The website is pretty low-quality, there's no phone number or physical address. It's a Free Domain (.tk stands for Tokelau, a territory island of New Zealand) and contact information cannot be given out about it from DNSstuff (I tried). Furthermore, when I hover my cursor over links, I can see that its TRUE domain is globalpostalll.x10.mx -- a free hosting domain in Mexico, it seems.

The latest development is that this guy has also posted similar items Tampa (definitely not my hometown in Kentucky or where he says he lives New York):
Apple 17" Macbook Pro 3.06ghz 8gb 750gb HD Unibody New! - $800
Apple Macbook Pro 3.06ghz 8gb 500gb 17 inch Unibody New - $800

All in all, it sounds too good to be true. Does anyone have any info on Global Postal or Matt Gissy?
Thanks everyone!
Michael
Advertisement

#33925 by gerald.fird Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:47 pm
I'll post this website at 419eater.

Yes this is a scam, I can tell you that.

He's selling a high priced model at a very inexpensive price.

He's getting you to pay an "agent" at a Postal Service that has no Internet presence beyond the site. HE'll ask you to pay through Western Union or Moneygram. Takes the money and disappears

And I'm sure there are other warnings. Can you post headers? If you don't know how, just ask
#33927 by Jillian Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:18 pm
Hi Michael and welcome here. As gerald.fird has said, this is definitely a scam. The "shipping company" is a fraudulent website set up by the scammer you're writing to. That's why you'll be able to "track" the package through it, he's behind the site. He'll ask you to pay the "shipper" who is in fact, himself, and you'll receive nothing in return.

There is another copy of the fake shipper website here: http://globalpostalll.x10.mx

Just tell the scammer you have bought something else locally and then stop all contact with him. Thank you for posting this here! As mentioned, we'll make sure the fake websites get shut down.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#33970 by AboynamedEtter Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:01 am
Mod edit: Removed poster's email address from header -Jillian

My last email:
How often do you use this company? Their website looks fairly outdated and they don't have anyway to contact them directly.

Also, I was just wondering, why did you post this ad in Louisville or Tampa? I see that you've posted similar items (17" MacBook Pros) in both locations on Craigslist on the same day, just hours apart. How did you come into having so many really nice Macs at one time?

Reply:
I have use it before ( 3 weeks ago ) .

Ha! Nice. Doesn't even acknowledge that last comment, but why should he?
His IP address used to email me has been the same each time except for variation of the last number (71; 72; 73)
Header:
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.90.53.11 with SMTP id b11cs58281aga;
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.231.35.10 with SMTP id n10mr8676367ibd.137.1280170259889;
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from col0-omc2-s14.col0.hotmail.com (col0-omc2-s14.col0.hotmail.com [65.55.34.88])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id a8si9469403ibi.65.2010.07.26.11.50.59;
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.55.34.88 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.55.34.88;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.55.34.88 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Received: from COL103-W1 ([65.55.34.72]) by col0-omc2-s14.col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:50:10 -0700
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Return-Path: [email protected]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_44a4a3f4-0d92-47c9-a32b-65bc61f84e97_"
X-Originating-IP: [195.93.60.71]
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: MacBook Pro 17"
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:50:10 +0200
Importance: Normal
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
References:
<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 26 Jul 2010 18:50:10.0479 (UTC) FILETIME=[5FB873F0:01CB2CF3]
#33973 by Dotti Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 am
Unfortunately gmail strips the originating IP from emails sent through the web-based system and replaces with their own IP--so all google emails will trace to google headquarters in California.

As you said, why acknowledge your last comment when he has no real explanation for it?

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.