Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#34814 by Con Warner Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 am
Known as James Terry, he also uses the alias, David Terry ([email protected])
Still available for sale?

Then you will receive something along these lines:
Hi,
I'm glad it's still for sale. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your payment which I'm sure you will get it in about 5 - 7 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. Money Order or cashier check is the means I can pay you with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mail out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.

The scammer will send you a cheque for more than the amount owed. He will ask for the excess to be returned to him or sent to his courier.

The cheque is fake or stolen. Eventually the bank will find that it's a bad cheque and you will be out of pocket.

Understand that even if your bank tells you that the cheque has cleared, it does
not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are
required by law to give you access to money within a few days but later, when
the cheque goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the cheque will be
returned and you will be held responsible. It can take days, weeks, or even
months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be required to pay all of
the money back, regardless of who sent the cheque to you.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#41245 by snusetto Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:53 pm
got the exact same reply to my craigslist post
Still available for sale?

However, this time the scammer used the name Barbara THOMPSON, once with the email address Still [email protected], and once with the email address [email protected].
After (foolishly) replying to their first emails I got this as a reply:
Hi,
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay you with money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment due to the fact that i am away for a family emergency.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra $20 just for you to keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name and address where payment should be sent,and a phone number where i can reach you.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards,
Barbara.

Thanks for warning me!
#44491 by tuner240 Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:56 pm
Boy am I glad I found this... A**hole is trying to do the same to me. Here is the email that I got in response to my craigslist ad:

Hi,
I'm glad it's still for sale. I'm going on a vacation to London but I
will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your payment which
I'm sure you will get it in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20
extra for the delay. Money Order is the means I can pay you with. If
this is acceptable by you, Send me your info, full name, mailing
address and your phone number so payment can be mail out immediately.I
will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must
have received and cashed the Money Order.

Awaiting your info
Thanks

This email was sent from "bella Meads", spelled exactly just like that, lowercase and all. here was the actual email used: [email protected] and [email protected]

Seller Beware!!
#44497 by Jillian Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:58 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners, tuner240. I'm thrilled to hear you found us in time to prevent you being scammed. :D

Thank you for posting this information. Do you have an email from natwestminster.net? If so, please post it, including the full header. That domain has been set up by a scammer so that he has a convincing email address for his scams. There is no content at the site url but we can use the email with a header as evidence of the scam to try to get it shut down.

Let us know if you're not sure how to retrieve email headers.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#44498 by tuner240 Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 pm
Jillian wrote:Welcome to ScamWarners, tuner240. I'm thrilled to hear you found us in time to prevent you being scammed. :D

Thank you for posting this information. Do you have an email from natwestminster.net? If so, please post it, including the full header. That domain has been set up by a scammer so that he has a convincing email address for his scams. There is no content at the site url but we can use the email with a header as evidence of the scam to try to get it shut down.

Let us know if you're not sure how to retrieve email headers.

Was the two emails that I posted not sufficient? He used the gmail email first, then replied with the @natwestminster to try to get my money. Ant BTW, no he hasn't and I don't think he will; I replied with the address for the FBI and the phone number for the FBI, told him to send it there and that the FBI individual that he was wending it to was my stepfather...lol It was worth a try...
Last edited by tuner240 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#44501 by Jillian Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:05 pm
We need the whole email header, which doesn't normally show when you simply read an email, to show that the email was actually sent from that domain. If you let me know what email provider you're using I can give you information for how to retrieve the header.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

#44508 by Jillian Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:12 pm
Gmail: Next to reply there is a pull down menu that includes "show original". When you click it a new window will open with the full email, including header. Copy and paste that and send it to me through the private messaging system. The header will not show your IP but will show the originating IP for the scammer. The header WILL contain a few instances of your own email address so if you would prefer not to post it here you can send it to me through the private messaging system on the forum and I will make sure to remove your address or you can check and replace any instances of your email address with x's.

#44509 by Jillian Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 pm
You're fast! You figured it out and posted while I was posting. We need the whole header, minus your own email address. That's the only bit of info that belongs to you in there. You can send it in private message if you prefer.

#44510 by Jillian Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 pm
Thank you for the email and header, tuner240. :D We'll get the domain reported.

#51806 by pretty_kitty Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:42 am
Hi,

This scammer is at it again using the name Carmen Forsythe <[email protected]>. I suspected a scam and did a google search and ended up here. Here is the email:

----------

Hi,
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay you with money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment due to the fact that i am away for a family emergency.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra $20 just for you to keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name and address where payment should be sent,and a phone number where i can reach you.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.

Regards,

---------

The initial inquiry was a one liner "Still Forsale?" from Carmen Forsythe <[email protected]>.
I replied yes and then got the above email. Any time someone wants to pay you more for something they haven't seen you have to know it's too good to be true!

Thanks for having this site. :D
#54923 by Purrty_Baby Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 pm
I received the same exact email from "Carmen Forsythe" regarding an item I posted on Craig's list. The first email was a request if the item was still for sale, then I received the email below.
I was suspicious because why would someone send me money without having seen the product?
Thanks for having this site/blog. It's never too early to be careful with online scams!

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 00:37:43 +0100

Hi,

Regards,
Pastor Carmen.