Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#68877 by aiaicortez Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 pm
Glad that this scamwarners website exists. I just got an email from a "J Frank" at [email protected] and [email protected]. I received pretty much the same text as the rest of you...
:x

Hi

Thanks for your response. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.

Awaiting your info.

Thanks

This is just horrible. Luckily, I was advised to check the text in google to see if anything came up to determine if it was a scam or not. :(
Advertisement

#75263 by CrispenMckenzie Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:32 pm
I got the same inquiry from:
jay williams<[email protected]> and WILLIAMS J <[email protected]>

in regards to my craigslist ad to sell an item. I am reporting this to Craigslist, but people - please beware!

Hi,
Am glad it's available. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will
instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure
you will get in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the
delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full
name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed
out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will
be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your
info.
Thanks
#75382 by Category9 Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:18 am
same scam strikes again on craigslist:

JOHN HARRY [email protected]
9:06 PM (12 hours ago)

Hi,
be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.
Thanks
#75839 by bayarealife24 Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:01 am
Dam I almost fell for this too !!! Luckily I checked his email address with google and this forum popped up so thank you !!!!!!

Using the alias John Harry <[email protected]>

still have it up for sale?

Hi,
be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your
info.
Thanks
#76077 by Bubbles Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:43 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners CrispenMckenzie and Category9 and bayarealife24 . It is great to hear that we helped keep you from getting scammed. It is very helpful to have you post the email address the scammer is using like you did, because many people search the email address.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#77172 by AJ_79 Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:56 pm
Glad I Google searched what they sent me and found this.

You still have it up for sale?

(Sent from [email protected])

Hi,
Am glad it still available. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $30 extra for the delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.
Thanks

(Sent from [email protected])
#77487 by craigslistposter Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 pm
I received the same email today.

Posted an expensive item on Craigslist.

Immediately received - Is it available?

Then this response:
[color=#40BF80]
"Hi,
Am glad it's available. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your info.
Thanks
Williams J

[email protected]"
[/color]
Total scam.
#78661 by bmarley71 Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:17 pm
Just tried to scam me. [email protected]. Same responses as previous posters. I gave him fake information for an address to send a check to. Next day he replies

I urgently have to bring something to your notice. I just found out
that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another transaction was made out
in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this.

Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the payment, deduct your
money and send back the balance to me via western union. So I can proceed with arrangement for
pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this? I will await your response on
this so my mind can be at rest.

Thanks
Last edited by Bubbles on Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity.
#78689 by Bubbles Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:55 am
Welcome to ScamWarners bmarley71, yes that is the second email on a classic overpayment scam. The check is a forgery and the bank would eventually find out and you would be left explaining a forged check, probably have over draft fees and possibly have to deal with the police.

Your best course of action is to just stop responding to the scammer. He has some real information about you. Thank you for posting this information.

#79603 by Jamjam Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 am
I got the same thing from this guy. The only thing is I knew nothing about this site. I thought it was a scam but that was only after I gave him my information. What should I do? The guy then sent me checks for massive amounts but I have given them to the police. I am worried now, please give me advise because it seems as if you all have more knowledge of this.
#79606 by Dotti Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:53 am
If you have given the checks to the police, and all you gave the scammers was your basic information (name, address, phone etc.) you have nothing to worry about.

The scammers may try to harass you a bit, but just inform them the checks have been handed over to the authorities, and simply don't answer or block their emails after that. They will stop when they realize they are not going to get money from you.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#80427 by harveythomas Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:32 pm
This is what I got... from email: [email protected] Name: J F

1/5/12

You still have it up for sale? :D

1/7/12

Hi,
Am glad it still available. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $30 extra for the delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.

1/7/12

Your payment will be sent ASAP please consider it sold. I will appreciate if the ad is taken off craigslist so i can be sure you are keeping it in my favor.
:roll:
1/8/12

I urgently have to bring something to your notice. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another transaction was made out in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the payment, deduct your money and send back the balance to me via western union. So I can proceed with arrangement for pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this? I will await your response on this so my mind can be at rest.

I sent a reply that I'm not taking any check and need cash after they view the product.
His/Her email raised alarms in my head............... so I put searched his email address on google [email protected] and Scamwarners confirmed our suspicion. Thanks to this site. I did give this idiot my address and Info but if he send anything I'm turning it in to police and wont open the envelope.... Hopefully this dumb dumb fingerprints can be retrieved off the checks. Too bad that people cant trust anyone anymore.....
:shock:
#80499 by Bubbles Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 pm
Turning the information over to the police is a fine idea.

It will NOT be the scammer's finger prints on the check. They use a person who thinks they are working for a real business to print and send the checks. That person is usually in your country. Sometimes that person known as a mule, knows what they are doing, but most often not.

The police may or may not act on what you give them, but it will at lease alert them to the types of scams which are in the internet. If they have questions, have them contact an Administrator here.

We are pleased you did not get pulled into the scam. :D

#81232 by demeulenaere Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:49 pm
I wish I found this much sooner, though I figured out the scam prior to being scammed...it has been a long drawn out issue...So the posted emails are identical...My initial email was from someone named George Greggs...then every other email was from Andre Pekins. I actually got to the point where he sent me two 925 dollar Money orders for a 45 dollar purchase. (they looked authentic to me) I actually did receive the name to send the return money order as John Pekin in London, which when I googled the location showed a law school.

NAME OF RECEIVER: JOHN PEKINS
ADDRESS: 5 Westminster Bridge Road,
CITY: LONDON
ZIP CODE: SE1 7XW

The Money orders came in an envelope with no return address, but had Middlesex, MA as the stamp of where it came from...I did a search on inforegistry who found a John Pekins based out of Franklin, MA...which doesn't seem too far from Franklin...I haven't taken this further, but thought I would share with this group.
#83633 by fornax Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 pm
Got the same thing, in response to a Craigslist ad:

Sent: January-29-12 7:57:52 AM

STILL UP FOR SALE

I thought it was strange, but responded yes.

Sent: January-29-12 10:12:54 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your response. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.

Reported, and thankful for this post for saving me!