Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#4456 by John DeLaney Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:27 pm
This is the same person who uses Alicia Hogan, slightly different scripted email, but the same procedure. You will receive a cheque for more than the amount, and be asked to cash it and pay a shipping firm by Western Union. Needless to say, the cheque will bounce, you will be liable for any money drawn on the cheque, and you may possibly be arrested and charged with fraud.

edit I believe the cheques may be made out in the name of Alfred Morrison

This is still being compiled, I'll edit in the formats as I receive them

edit

Hello there,
I saw your Ads and i am really intrested,pls let me know the price if its still available for sale and in good condition?.

Thanks you for the prompt response to my mail enquiry i'm quite satisfied with the condition and price.I'm very much interested in buying from you and i would like to make an outright purchase immediately so i will advice that you withdraw the advert from the web.I will be paying with a certified check.

Furthermore my mover will be coming over for the pick up as i might not be available for the pick up myself i would have loved to come and look it up but presently i'm not chanced to do that but am OK with the information from the ad.I will need the following information and details to make payment arrangement

1,Your full name to be on the Payment.
2,Your postal address.
3,Your phone number both land and mobile.
4,Your postal code.

Send me the following information as soon as possible.

Regards

pls let me know how i can go about the wire transfer and let me know how soon i can make the payments

good day to you, sorry for the delay in my response i have been very ill and just recovered so i need the bike dearly i want to pay through wire transfer so i need you to provide your bank details (including bank address) so that i can make payment to you immediately i await your immediate response to this emal with the requested bank info for payment to be made immediately.regardsj.hogan

What will happen is that the payment will be made to your bank account with a fake cheque. It will show in your account, until the Bank making the transfer finds the cheque is fake, then reclaims the money from YOUR bank. This could take several months for the cheque to make it's way through the Banking system, remember that in all probability, this person is in Nigeria, or another country, and the cheque that is used will be drawn on a different countries bank.

edit This is the new format being used for the cheques. Needless to say, Alfred Morrison is an accomplice of James, if not James himself using an alias.
HELLO FRANLIN,

I HOPE YOU ARE HALE AND HEARTY? THERE WAS DELAY FROM THE COURIER SERVICE IN DELIVERING THE PAYMENT DUE TO CERTAIN REASONS BEYOND THEIR CONTROL BUT THEY HAVE APOLOGISED FOR THIS UNPRECEDENTED DELAY. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THE PAYMENT WILL GET TO YOU ON THE 25TH AUGUST 2008 UNFAILLINGLY OR THEREAFTER, AND I HOPE YOU STAY AROUND TO RECEIVE IT.

MY PERSONAL ASSISTANT, MR. ALFRED MORRISON HAS SENT THE PAYMENT TO YOU AND ALSO NOTE THAT I HAVE INCLUDED THE SHIPPER’S FUND IN THAT AMOUNT, SO YOU ARE TO DEDUCT $4200 FOR THE PAYMENT OF BENELLI SHOTGUN AND SEND $2350 TO THE SHIPPER (SHIPPING COMPANY). THE TOTAL AMOUNT SENT TO YOU IS $6,550. THE SHIPING COMPANY WILL COME FOR THE PICK UP OF THE BENELLI SHOTGUN AS SOON AS THEY RECEIVE THE PICK UP FUNDS FROM YOU.

AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THE MONEY ORDER, KINDLY CONFIRM IT TO ME AND GO AHEAD TO YOUR BANK IMMEDIATELLY FOR INSTANT CASHING OR DEPOSIT THEM, WHICH AFTER 24HOURS THE FUNDS WILL BE AVAILABLE TO YOU, AND YOU SEND THE SHIPPER HIS FUND.

I WILL FORWARD THE SHIPPER’S NAME AND DETAILS TO YOU AS SOON AS YOU CONFIRM TO ME THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED PAYMENT.

BEST REGARDS AND DO HAVE A SPLENDID DAY. THANKS

John DeLaney
Advertisement