Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#4463 by John DeLaney Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:04 am
Another Craigslist Scammer, Also known as Mr. Young Thomas, you will notice that there are never any of the usual questions you would expect, about the condition of the article, how much use, does it work, is it damaged. All he wants is for you to agree to sell it, cash his fake cheque/money order, send him the surplus amount, and leave you out of pocket, and still with your item.

I have high lit the sentences that stand out as typical scammers replies

Is this item still for sale?pls let me know and also send me more pics.

Hello, thanks so much for your mail,Am quite comfortable with the condition of the item since i won't be making any repairs on it, Please provide your full name,Address and your Phone number for payment.I will be paying you by Money Oders, I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment has been received by you.I hope it is in good condition,kindly reply with your name,phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent.I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.
Note:
As soon as you have your money in hand we can talk about the picking up of the item ok.I would like you to take the posting off craigslist today.
Best Regards.

Hello,
I am very sorry for just getting back to you now,i have been out state and also i am very sick so that is why i have not come on line to email you. About the payment..I want to promise you that you will recieve the payment by next week so pls if you know you still have the item for me kindly get back to me cos the payment will get to your soon....once agine i am so sorry...Get back to me as soon as you read this email.Thanks so much
Mr Young Thomas

Hi,
How is your day going? i hope you are fine and alright. There is something i think i must bring to your notice. After a reconciliation of my account, i discovered that somehow my assistant must have over paid you. The payment that was meant for another transaction was sent to you and the one meant for you was sent to another, however i want to believe i wont have a problem with you.All you have to do is to cash the money orders at your bank when you receive it get your required amount ,and send the balance to the shipping company It is the policy of the shipping company to recieve payment before going for any pickup.You have to please bear with me as it is the best i can do in this transaction.The shipping company will contact you in good time.Please feel free to ask me questions.payment should arrive this week.
Regards.
Mr Young Thomas

Hello,How are you doing today..I am her to infrom you that the payment as been mail out to you and you will recieve it lates by friday,So all i want you to do immediatly you receive the payment kindly take it to your bank and have them cash,after cashing it deduct the cost of ur item from the total cash and get the rest money send to the shipping company,so immediatly they receive the rest money from you the shipment will be schedule and pickup will be comence as well.So kindly get back to me as soon as you receive the payment so i can forward you the shipping company information were you will be sending the rest money to via MONEY GRAMM TRANSFER SERVICE.
Thanks for ur pacient.
Mr Young Thomas

edit, another variation used sometimes to explain why payment is so late, all he is trying to do is make you rush the payment through your bank, in the blief that you need the money urgently, and won't delay cashing the cheque/money order without checking it first.

Hi,How are you doing today and how is life with you..I hope all is well....I should have sent you the tracking number of your payment by there was probelm with the FEDEX so thay why you have not recieve the payment.But the told me You will recieve it soon and i want you to know that you will surely recieve the payment this week so let me know when you get it so that i can put you though no how to send the rest of the money to my shipper so that they can come to ur place and it up the item from you....I hope to hear from you soon..
Thanks
Mr Young Thomas

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your response. i am highly sorry for the complication in the amount issued out to you. i sent you an email couple of days ago when i later reconcile with my bank statement. The mistakes came from my assistance at office while i was addmitted to hospital for 3 days, The payment that was meant for another transaction was sent to you while the payment that was meant for you was sent to someone else. I just hope i will not have any problems with you on this issue. Please all i want you to do for me is have the check cashed at your bank or deposited. and deduct your $200 including additional $50 for compesation and stress this might cause you and send the rest $3600 via MoneyGram to my daughter in Mount Vernon Georgia to take care of her needs/Bills and to reactivate my FedeX account i would have given you a call but i lost your cell #. Here is her name and adress to send the moneyGram below...

Name....Thomas Helen
Address...Mount Vernon Atlanta GA 30445

And get back to me with this full details of the moneygram , the sender's full name , address. total amount sent, MoneyGram refrence number{8Digits}

Please make sure you do this favor for me today before weekend so i can make an arrangement to pick up this Frame before week runs out.

Thank you and god bless your home and family.

Best Regards
Thomas.

Hi Brown,

How is your day going?like i said that you will receive the money order's this week,now i am using this o-potunity to tell you that the payment will be delivered to your resident address today via fedEx Express service,And i got your last email but there is something i want you to assist me on about the money order's,immediatly you receive the package from fedex man kindly take the money orders to your bank and have them cash after cashing it deduct $100 from it and get the rest send to my daughter in school because you said in your last mail that the item has being sold to another buyer due to my late payment ,but i am using the $100 to compeciate you about the long proccess..and i will try and get from another buyer..so here is my daughter information where you will send the rest money via MONEY GRAM TRANSFER SERVICE...
Below is my Daughter info where you're to send the balance..

Receivere's Name : SHERON THOMAS
Receiver's Address ; MOUNT VERNON RG # 200

Receivere's City : ATLANTA
Receivere's States : GEORGIA

Receivere's ZipCode : 30338

Receivere's Country : UNITED STATES
Immediatly the transfer as been made , I WILL BE EXPECTING THE BELOW MONEY GRAM TRANSFER DETAILS INFO FROM YOU..Reference #Total Amount sent( The Total Amount you sent to my shipper)
Full Sender's name.( The name you used in sending the money).
Full Sender's Address All these will be provided to you at the MONEY GRAM office once you have the money transfer to the information .
And you can as well attach the copy slips giving to you for me to see..So i can contact my daughter to have the money from the money gram service nearest to her school..
Thanks for understanding and may allmighty god bless you and familly..
Thanks a lot..
Best Regard..
Mr.Young Thomas

Needless to say, there is no Thomas Helen in Georgia, all he needs is the MTCN number from Moneygram, and he can cash it anywhere in the world. You will be unable to trace him, he is using a gmail address set up with fake details, if you could possibly find the Money Gram office where he cashes the order, in all likelyhood, the staff are either in on the deal, or threatened if they do not comply.

Likewise your chances of Law Enforcement taking notice, in most of the countries where scamming is seen as a worthwhile occupation, the local police are usually taking bribes and working with the gangs of scammers.

John DeLaney
Advertisement