Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#277773 by Guywhogotscammed Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:17 pm
Hi, I recently got scammed by someone who pulled something really similar to what you dealt with.
I was selling a saxophone on craigslist when I recieved a reply asking to buy my instrument. I thought the person was legitimate until I became suspicious. I googled a bit and I found out that I was indeed scammed. I'll be posting all information and names below.
-The name the person used to contact me was Stephanie Wilson. They claimed to be on station at Buckley Air Force Base in Colorado.
-The phone number they used was 762-847-0668.
-The email this person used was [email protected]
-The information for their "pickup agent" was
William Henry Davis
3834 T kane blvd Trucking Apt
Hermiston
Oregon
usa
-The scammers later changed the address of the pickup agent to
Seth Mattingly
Shiloh
Illinois
usa
[email protected]
Yes trucking is meant to be miss-spelled
-The fake paypal account they used was [email protected]® while a real paypal email for this would not have a ®
-Look out for another email present in the sender area such as
[email protected]
And [email protected]
-The scammer will use awkward ways of speaking and odd word patterns.

This is all the information I have, hope it can help anyone else. If you recieve emails matching any of this, they're a scammer.
Advertisement

#277776 by Bryon Williams Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:38 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

No one will ever come and pick up the instrument. Please sell your instrument face to face at a public place for cash.

If you have any further questions please ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#282558 by Mdtennant Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:36 pm
Apparently, "Stephanie Wilson" has a few email adresses and phone numbers.

[email protected] was used to contact me.

Initial contact was made to a Craigslist ad by text from:

1-810-476-8188

A second contact for the same item with the same text was made from:

1-412-818-3712

The text was:

"Hi, Email steph at [email protected] with your firm price. Deering Maple Blossom 5-String Banjo"

The email was:

"Hi, i am Stephanie, stationed in Colorado. I would have love to see this item but am presently busy here at the base. I am Okay with your advert price and i will be sending your money asap via PayPal. Do you have PayPal account cos i have one that I can send money through. Kindly get back to me with your PayPal info and also have the posting deleted from Craigslist Asap...

(1). Are you the original owner ?
(2). how long has it been under your care ?
(3). What's your reason for selling ?
(4). What's the pick up location ?
(5). What's your direct phone# ?

Thanks"

The email and questions asked were suspicious considering most of the information was in the ad.

I have gone no further with this person. Furthermore, the item is cash only, local pick-up.

Another one to watch out for is:

1-678-803-8459

Text: "Hello, hope you still got the item for sale? what is your last asking price? pls reply back to my email at [email protected] to follow up."

Obvious scams...

Cheers!
#282785 by Mike Wilson Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:14 pm
Started with jenny matt [email protected]

Spoofed PayPal email [email protected] [email protected]

The email actually originated from [email protected] which has nothing to do with PayPal

PayPal will NEVER ask for money to be sent to them via Money Gram or any other competing money transfer service.

Dear John,

My name is McCabe and its my pleasure to assist you. We want you to know that the payment has been successfully made and the money has been deducted from the buyer's account (Jenny Matt). As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system and discovered that the transaction ID (9TQ95872YQ38108) is legitimate and confirmed. So we will require you to send us the Reference Number (#) as requested and as soon as we have confirmed it, your money will be automatically transfer into your account, so you will need to accept it from your end. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect both buyer & seller for a secure transaction.Your account as been credited with $3,500.00 USD for the payment of merchandise bought from you by Jenny Matt, on 27/01/2016. Your PayPal account as been credited and the payment as been verified and but on our record.Your account will be credited with the sum of $4,300.00 USD. But will be on PENDING and will appear as $0.00 USD on your PayPal account homepage.

Reasons:
*To protect Both Parties.
*Payment above $10,000.00 USD are giving security care.
*Additional Money is involved which as to be paid out.
*To protect the companies name.

Solution:
*For completion of the transaction and accreditation of your account, PayPal has a new policy to safe guild the seller and buyer as a middle man to safe guild the transaction.You are to send the excess funds in the payment sent to you first from your hand and get back to us with the Reference Number Eight Digit Number for Verification.*Once verified your pending funds will be released onto you.

Note: That the funds can not be released back to the buyers account,Unless you agreed to cancel the transaction by mailing our customer care online at: [email protected] and request for payment cancellation and reasons.

Payment History

Transaction Type Transaction ID TOTAL Amount Date Note
(ITEM) #9TQ95872YQ38108 $4,300.00USD 27/01/2016
Do make sure the (Reference Number) is advice on time to our customer care verification department for final accreditation of your PayPal account to your Bank account
ORDER STATUS

CUSTOMER CARE AGENT Date Placed Status Of Agent
Order Status Reference Number
McCabe
27/01/2016 Email Only
NO:Your Transaction is Pending. Not Available Yet

Your Pending Payment Status

To: John

Merchandise Price: $3,500.00 USD

Pickup Fee: $700.00 USD
MoneyGram Charges: $100.00 USD
Total Funds: $4,300.00 USD
Nevertheless, we do not entertain calls on transaction like this as we have many customer's to attend to and If there is any information/verification you may need to make/have, email us via: [email protected]

NOTE: Please be advised that verification of MoneyGram transfer details of $700 USD (which must be sent as Pickup to Buyer's Shipping Agent) is required to complete this"Pending" payment sent to you by Jenny Matt therefore, you are mandated to complete the transaction process so we can complete transferring the fund into your account. Your account is being monitored through PayPal Security Systems and Financial Department.

Upon the receipt of MoneyGram transfer details, your account will be credited accordingly which will include all cost charged for transfer via MoneyGram transfer at PayPal cost.

You are require to send us the MoneyGram information below for verification:

(1) Sender's Name and Sender Address:
(2) Receiver's Name:
(3) Reference Number#:
(4) Exact Amount Sent:
(5) MoneyGram Receipt:

Here is the sending/receiver's information for the money transfer:

Address below :

Name:- Frank Jaramillo Address:- 4920 river ave City:- Van Nuys
State:- California
Zip Code:- 91405

NOTE : PayPal will be responsible for any loss this may result to.So, kindly get the $700.00 USD send to the buyer's pick up agent via MoneyGram and get back to us with the Reference Number(#) and also the sender's full name and address once you get this done today. We hope we have answered your questions accordingly and all you have to do is to reply directly to this mail with regards to the Reference (#) details.
We will be expecting to hear from you before the end of today to enable us credit your account without any further delay also by then you will be able to accept the payment when your account has been credited and to avoid any action against your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We need to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#296324 by karrn322 Fri May 27, 2016 4:47 am
New email info available for this one for a craigslist item for sale identical email but with a [email protected]

OK. I'm an honest woman and you gotta have your money cash at hand before they pick up. It easy and free to open a paypal account. go to http://www.paypal.com & register an account. Paypal is the world leading payment that protects both buyer/seller. We are secure with paypal and it's like an instant cash. I will be deploying a pick up firm as soon as we have completed and finalized this deal via Paypal.kindly get back to me with your Paypal info asap.

Thanks

Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 21:55:10 -0700
Subject:
To: [email protected]
Good day, i am stephanie, stationed in Colorado. I would have love to see this item but am presently busy here at the base. I am Okay with your advert price and i will as well be sending your money via PayPal asap. Do you have PayPal account so that i can proceed with the payment. Kindly get back to me with your PayPal info and also have the posting deleted Asap.

1.Are you the original owner
2.how long have you own it & present condition ?
3.What's your direct phone # & pick up location ?

Thanks
@hotmail.com
#303287 by gguagliardo Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:47 am
I have been contacted on 8/9/2016 by [email protected]

I bet it is the same scammer as it uses same MO. Stationed in Colorado and says I need to Money Gram money to his transport Agent, etc ... Then it sent another e-mail stating that I will get confirmation of the funds transferred, and then I received an e-mail from supposedly Paypal, [email protected]® <[email protected]> but as you can see it has the small ® sign behind it which it is clearly NOT a Paypal e-mail account.

This is funny, at this time is emailing me stating that She reported me to the FBI for Scam Attempt !

More to come ... If they would only know who they want to war with! .hahaha
#303825 by eksqzmi Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:12 pm
I listed an item for sale on Craigslist and received a text from 720-541-9137 stating, "Hi, Kindly get back to Stephanie via email at [email protected] with your firm price."

After I sent her an e-mail stating price listed was firm, I received this e-mail: "Good day, i am Stephanie, stationed in Colorado. I would have love to see this item but am presently busy here at the base. I am Okay with your advert price and i will as well be sending your money via PayPal asap. Do you have PayPal account so that i can proceed with the payment. Kindly get back to me with your PayPal info and also have the posting deleted Asap." She also had 3 questions about the item, to which I responded and informed her I would send an invoice through Paypal, which I did.

I received this response: "OK. I'm an honest woman and you gotta have your money cash at hand before they pick up. It easy and free to open a paypal account. go to http://www.paypal.com & register an account. PayPal is the world leading payment that protects both buyer/seller. We are secure with paypal and it's like an instant cash. I will be deploying a pick up firm as soon as we have completed and finalized this deal via PayPal. kindly get back to me with your PayPal info asap."

I informed her an invoice was sent through Paypal. She then told me she would pay it first thing in the morning (the next day). Didn't happen.

Three days later I get a fake Paypal e-email ([email protected].®) that looks legitimate at first glance until you examine all the details, like: the period after "com" and registration mark in the e-mail address, a note that states:Note: As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiries and necessary information should be sent to us by directly replying to this message, because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section, and all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address as it monitored for your transaction., and another fake Paypal e-mail ([email protected]), listed as their "Help Center."

The content of the FAKE Paypal e-mail stated that the buyer sent payment and an additional amount of $480.00 to cover a Money Gram (for delivery service) and another $100.00 to cover Money Gram and Paypal charges.

I got an e-mail from "Stephanie" stating: "I have completed the payment and i am sure PayPal must have notified you via email regarding the payment. Kindly log on to your PayPal Email and check your in-box, spam box and junk mail. I sent a total Money of $1,180 but $480 will be sent to the Pick Up Agent via Money Gram and The extra $100 is to cover the Money Gram transfer fee & PayPal charges. PayPal will not release your pending funds until you have completed the Money Gram transfer and forwarded to them the Money Gram details for their attention so as for the mover to pick up the item. kindly email to PayPal the Ref#, Sender Name and Address so as to enable them release your pending money into your account Asap."

I logged into my Paypal account and no such transactions. My invoice was still unpaid. I contacted Paypal through their legitimate phone number listed on the website. The rep told me:[email protected] is not a verified e-mail with Paypal, Paypal does not allow third party billing, the Paypal transaction ID given to me by "Stephanie" was fake, and that this was a scam.

I did not reply to any emails sent by "Stephanie" or the fake Paypal email. I later started to receive text messages from a different phone number 805-270-5895, which I also did not reply to.

When I googled this email I was directed here. This scammer has obviously been going at it for a while.
#307408 by [email protected] Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:06 pm
We were also contacted by her in regards to something we had for sale on Craigslist:

[email protected]

Hello, i am Stephanie, stationed in Colorado. I would have love to see this item but am presently busy here at the base. I am Okay with your ad price and am gonna be sending your money via PayPal. Do you have PayPal account so that i can proceed with the payment. Do get back to me with the below info and also have the posting deleted Asap.

1.What your paypal name and email ?
2.What's the pick up location and present condition ?
3.What's the pick up location ?
#323651 by Wade Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 pm
I am dealing with this right now. I now know to ignore any of the messages but what I would like to know is if any of you had any identity theft afterwards. I am really quite concerned about that.
#340071 by TryingNotToBeBurned Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:01 pm
This scammer is still active and replied to my Kijijii post with a text message to the phone number in my ad

" Hello, kindly get back to stephanie via email at [email protected] with your firm price..."

The text message came from an LA number 323-426-5709 but I am in Canada :laugh-s:

Thanks for this thread.
#341872 by Yasei Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:57 pm
Same story. I posted an add on Kijiji (Canada) and got a text soon after from 214.400.5295 and the same text again from 214.888.9673 asking me to kindly get back to [email protected] with my firm price.
Emailed and received the reply about being in Colorado, PayPal etc. Got suspicious about why a presumably Canadian person would be posted in Colorado and so immeidately want a Canadian education textbook, and why they couldn't use the Kijiji platform themselves.
#379407 by Joker51699 Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:13 pm
A scammer recently tried to scam me using the same bullsh**. i was selling a laptop on letgo and was contacted by someone named serena.they offered $50 extra to ship it and pay me through paypal. i obviously jumped at the opportunity. they then asked to send texts to make communication easier. their phone number 9564101947. asked me to send it to shanetta smith in tarboro NC (despite their letgo saying they were serena from california) i got an email, seemingly from paypal but the actual email was [email protected] and it came in through my spam box and it said Dear (my name),

We are confirming that a total of $ 300.00 USD has been successfully deducted from [email protected] as payment for the purchase of your item . The money has been deducted from the buyer's account and is ready to be credited into your account (my email) as soon as we receive the shipment verification information's to confirm that you have shipped the purchased merchandise. Note that your transferred funds is still on pending, so we await the shipment verification details from you [which is a scanned copy of the shipment label/receipt and the Shipment Tracking Number to confirm shipping status]. You are urged to make the shipment of the purchased merchandise in the next 12-24 hours and get back to us at : [email protected] for immediate processing of the shipment details and to speediate the transfer of your funds into you PayPal account.

Thank you!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PAYMENT WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE "PENDING" TAB IN YOUR ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU SEND THE SHIPPING REFERENCE NUMBER AND/OR THE SCANNED RECEIPT TO US.

This is due to new policies at PayPal designed to protect both buyers and sellers transacting via online marketplaces, like eBay. Your payment is intact and you are encouraged to complete this transaction.

Here at PayPal you can be assured that your security and safety is our topmost concern, so if you have questions about this payment for your sold item or service, please contact us at [email protected]
Your query will be answered promptly.

We hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you for using PayPal.
The PayPal Team
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

PayPal Team
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About
Accounts
Fees
Privacy
Security Center
Contact Us
Legal Agreements
Developers
Jobs
Mobile
Plus Card
Referrals
Shops
Mass Pay
Site Feedback Feedback

PayPal Worldwide

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
China
France
Germany
Italy
Netherlands
Poland
Spain
Switzerland
United Kingdom
More....

More eBay Sites

eBay
Half.com
Craigslist
Kijiji Canada
ProStores
Rent.com
Shopping.com
Copyright © 1999-2019 PayPal. All rights reserved. Information about FDIC pass-through insurance I luckily find out its a scam before shipping it out but I was so frustrated by this entire thing that when i found this website i made an accout to share my experience with this scammer.