Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#36104 by rogermellie Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:58 am
Gumtree is now a haven for scammers

Rental property is top but inreasing scam on laptops, iPads and iPhones

I emailed a few sellers to see what came back. Usual storyline the seller replies to your email advising that the item is still for sale, but here it comes.......... He/she has the item with them but that are on holiday with the family or on business somewhere in the U.K, seller then asks for the usual Western Union, Money gram payment and will courier the item to you.

Beware
Advertisement

#36123 by Jim Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 am
Welcome to Scamwarners, rogermellie!

Thanks for the general warning about Gumtree scams. You're right, they are certainly becoming more prevalent as scammers discover online sales sites.

If you happen to receive any emails from a specific Gumtree scammer, I would advise you to post them in the forums here with headers (taking out any personal details of yours, of course). Doing this allows potential victims doing a Google search to end up here before they send any money. It's a big help!

Got a warning from [email protected]? That's me!
Remember, legitimate businesses CANNOT accept payment through Western Union or Moneygram! Scammers use these services because once they receive money it is virtually untraceable!