Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#42953 by rangercroft Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:57 pm
"George Benson" has struck again! However, he attempted to claim the military thing with "secret mission." He got the wrong people because my husband and I are both military. I had the advantage of running a full check on him and he will now be put under investigation for attempted fraud. Hope that helps and thanks to all that have posted as I wouldn't have been able to do this otherwise. Have a great day all!
Advertisement

#42959 by Dotti Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:55 pm
Thanks for posting. Has his email address changed?

Unfortunately, the investigation will show that there is no American soldier involved, and then will most likely dead-end at an internet cafe in Lagos.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#42995 by working19 Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:48 am
[email protected]

original email from Kim Williams <[email protected]>

Is this item still up for sale as am interested

Hello,

Thanks for the response... i just wanted to let you know that i am okay with this item and interested in buying it. I would pay you by sending you Bank Certified Check via FedEx next day air delivery and this is because i am currently away on a business contract. Also i will be adding $50 to the asking price if you sell to me and have it reserved pending delivery of payment to you

I would be responsible for the pick-up and the movers payment would be included in the check mailed to you in order to avoid delay and to enable the pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location as I have other properties to be moved alongside this item.

Please delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you.I will also wait for the check to clear before the pickup is done.If you do have more pictures, please send them to me so I can get a better look.If this is fine with you Please get back to me with the following so that the check can be mailed out to you.

1. Your Full name which the check would be issued out to.
2. Residential or Office Address where the check will be mailed to.

Also i am deaf so i cant communicate to you than via email as my tty and adsl have been sent out for updates.

Thanks and stay blessed
#43017 by busterson Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 pm
Thanks for the response... I'm okay with the condition and price of the item and ready for its purchase. My form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day air delivery.

I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the movers fee will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after check has been cashed as I have other properties to be moved alongside the item.

I got one! This person sent me this email too.

dayor bradford <[email protected]>
#43025 by Bubbles Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:45 am
Thank you for continuing to expose this scammer. We hope to make him go out of business, this all helps. :)

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#44216 by alaska Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 am
Got this message in response to a Craigslist ad:

how are you doing today,im very interested in the item and i hope it
is in good condition .i would have loved to monitor the purchase
personally but am a military presently on a mission ,i hope you
understand and i will not be able to receive calls as this is against
the secret of my present mission.
Due to the distance i will like to make an instant purchase but if
there anything wrong, you can kindly let me know and we can fix things
up. I don't mind
paying additional $50 for it in order for you to take the ad down
from craigslist and
also to be assured that it is already mine.
I will be paying you with a certified check and it is going to be sent
to you via courier service
which is going to be mail to you as soon as possible
For the payment, I'm going to need your details as follow

**Full name to be on the payment
**Your home or office address which the payment will be delivered to
**And your phone number in order to facilitate the payment asap.

My mover will be coming for the pick up as soon as you have the check
cashed, so you
don't need to bother your self about the shipping as everything on
that is well arranged.
Thanks and I'm waiting to hear from you

Paul Giggs

US Army
OIF Veteran
2004-2005
2006-2008

First response came from [email protected], listed as captain Giggs
Second response came from [email protected], also listed as captain Giggs
#44225 by GomerPyle Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 am
......am a military presently on a mission ,i hope you understand and i will not be able to receive calls as this is against the secret of my present mission

I don't intend to mock the military at all, but this story that scammers trot out puts a picture in my mind of a soldier under fire in a foxhole scanning Craigslist for bargains. :=)

Hopefully he's going to be very unsuccessful using that story, so don't do anything to alert him as to how stupid he is.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#44905 by KJ_in_NKY Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:34 pm
Hi,
I almost fell for this, I cashed the check I received, but made a deposit into my account. I had a weird feeling about it and started searching and found this scam. I knew from the get go that I wasn't going to pay someone in cash for anything that was going to occur thru this process, especially a mover as I'm sure they would require payment from the person the services are being performed for, BEFORE they do anything. I received the initial email below and have actually been emailing back and forth with the person since. I've been told that I need to act quickly as the check has cleared their bank and they will call the police if I don't update "her" as to what's going on. I'm having some fun with this as the person still claims that everything is correct and that this is not spam.

Hello,

Thanks for the response... i just wanted to let you know that i am okay with this piece and ready to buy it. I would pay you by sending you Bank Certified Check via Fedex next day air delivery and this is because i am currently away on a business assignment.

I would be responsible for the pick-up and the movers payment would be included in in the check mailed to you in order to avoid delay and to enable the pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location as I have other properties to be moved alongside this item after the check has cleared.

Please delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you and i am willing to offer you $50 to keep this for me.

If you have more pics please send them to me so I can get a better look. If this is fine with you Please get back to me with the following details below

Your Full name and Physical Address (as fedex does not deliver to p.oboxes)

Also i am deaf so i cant communicate to you than via email as my tty and adsl have been sent out for updates.

Katie Minton
#44910 by Dotti Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:30 pm
I'm glad you realized before sending any money. But--two important points to consider here:

1) It's never a good idea to play with criminals who have your real information, including your address. It's best to simply drop the scammer.

2) By depositing the check, assuming it wasn't rejected at the counter, you have already technically been guilty of check fraud. Your bank can hit you up with fees related to a bad deposit, they can contact the police to have you charged, and they can drop you as a customer. If you have not contacted the bank, you need to consider doing so now to make it clear that your actions were unintentional.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#44961 by KJ_in_NKY Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 am
When I had thought about it after I cashed the check, I went right up to the bank and they had processed it. I let them know what I thought had happened so they'd be aware. I have been charged the fees, but they are getting rid of them since I went up to talk to them that day!
#45369 by bideater2 Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 am
Name and email address for the same person: George Benson [email protected]

He sent me this!

Thanks For Getting back to me ..I am buying this furniture and i am a
military presently on a mission,and due to secrets of this mission,
phone calls,and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out
time to check this advert.i don't have access to my bank account
online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal
account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it,I don't mind paying
additional $50 for it in order for you to take the ad down from
craigslist and also to be assured that it is already mine.i will need
you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments
asap for the item and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is
very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you
have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you used for the
registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick
up agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the payments

US Army
OIF Veteran
2004-2005
2006-2008
#45884 by lauderdaledjguy Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:46 pm
Here's another to add to the list from [email protected]

Thanks For Getting back to me ..I am buying this furniture and i am amilitary presently on a mission,and due to secrets of this mission,phone calls,and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed outtime to check this advert.i don't have access to my bank accountonline as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypalaccount, as i have my bank a/c attached to it,I don't mind payingadditional $50 for it in order for you to take the ad down fromcraigslist and also to be assured that it is already mine.i will needyou to give me your paypal email address so i can make the paymentsasap for the item and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it isvery easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after youhave set it up i will only need the e-mail address you used for theregistration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pickup agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the payments
US Army
OIF Veteran
2004-2005
2006-2008
#45899 by GomerPyle Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 pm
It seems that scammers are in love with the word 'mission' with regards to the US military, which I suspect is down to them watching too many movies. Though I'm not American and have never been in the military the more appropriate word is '--------' (which I won't mention for obvious reasons) as a way to describe a spell of duty abroad.

They're on a mission ? - they're scammers.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
#51348 by ceartz Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 am
Same thing from a [email protected]

almost fell for it! glad i googled this crap first.

from Pamela Perez <[email protected]>
reply-to [email protected]
to ***************
date Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM
subject Re: queen size modern platform bed, cb2 alpine bed - $400 (lakeview (wrigleyville))

Hello,

Thanks for your response,Am okay with the price and interested in Purchasing the item but the only way i can pay you is via a Bank Certified Check that i would mail to you using the FedEx overnight delivery and this is because i am currently away on a business contract. Also i will be adding $50 to the asking price for the reservation of the item, If you do agree to sell this item to me and have it reserved pending delivery of payment to you

I will be responsible for the pick-up and the movers payment will be included in the check mailed to you in order to avoid delay and to enable the pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location as I have other properties to be moved alongside this item to my new home.

Please delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you.I will also wait for the check to clear before the pickup is done.If you do have more pictures, please send them to me so I can get a better look.If this is fine with you Please get back to me with the following so that the check can be mailed out to you.

1. Your Full name which the check would be issued out to.
2. Residential or Office Address where the check will be mailed to.

Await To Hear From You
Thanks and stay blessed
Pamela Perez
#51363 by GomerPyle Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:24 pm
Welvome to Scamwarners ceartz and respect for spotting a classic scam set up.

Of course they hide the Western Union chaser until the counterfeit cheque is in your hands and then they get grumpy and threatening if you don't swap their dud cheque for cash. It's only a small portion of the cheque, but as the whole thing is worthhless and they aren't after your goods, they only need a few people to take up their scam a week, out of the hundreds of offers they make, and they're living free.