Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#303823 by eksqzmi Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:01 pm
******* TOTAL SCAM ARTIST!!! DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS PERSON!!! ************

I listed an item for sale on Craigslist and received a text from 720-541-9137 stating,
"Hi, Kindly get back to Stephanie via email at [email protected] with your firm price."

After I sent her an e-mail stating price listed was firm, I received this e-mail:
"Good day, i am Stephanie, stationed in Colorado. I would have love to see this item but am presently busy here at the base. I am Okay with your advert price and i will as well be sending your money via PayPal asap. Do you have PayPal account so that i can proceed with the payment. Kindly get back to me with your PayPal info and also have the posting deleted Asap."

She also had 3 questions about the item, to which I responded and informed her I would send an invoice through Paypal, which I did.

I received this response:
"OK. I'm an honest woman and you gotta have your money cash at hand before they pick up. It easy and free to open a paypal account. go to http://www.paypal.com & register an account. PayPal is the world leading payment that protects both buyer/seller. We are secure with paypal and it's like an instant cash. I will be deploying a pick up firm as soon as we have completed and finalized this deal via PayPal. kindly get back to me with your PayPal info asap."

I informed her an invoice was sent through Paypal. She then told me she would pay it first thing in the morning (the next day). Didn't happen.

Three days later I get a fake Paypal e-email ([email protected].®) that looks legitimate at first glance until you examine all the details, like: the period after "com" and registration mark in the e-mail address, a note that states: Note: As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiries and necessary information should be sent to us by directly replying to this message, because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section, and all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address as it monitored for your transaction., and another fake Paypal e-mail ([email protected]), listed as their "Help Center."

The content of the FAKE Paypal e-mail stated that the buyer sent payment and an additional amount of $480.00 to cover a Money Gram (for delivery service) and another $100.00 to cover Money Gram and Paypal charges.

I got an e-mail from "Stephanie" stating:

"I have completed the payment and i am sure PayPal must have notified you via email regarding the payment. Kindly log on to your PayPal Email and check your in-box, spam box and junk mail. I sent a total Money of $1,180 but $480 will be sent to the Pick Up Agent via Money Gram and The extra $100 is to cover the Money Gram transfer fee & PayPal charges. PayPal will not release your pending funds until you have completed the Money Gram transfer and forwarded to them the Money Gram details for their attention so as for the mover to pick up the item. kindly email to PayPal the Ref#, Sender Name and Address so as to enable them release your pending money into your account Asap."

I logged into my Paypal account and no such transactions. My invoice was still unpaid. I contacted Paypal through their legitimate phone number listed on the website. The rep told me: [email protected] is not a verified e-mail with Paypal, Paypal does not allow third party billing, the Paypal transaction ID given to me by "Stephanie" was fake, and that this was a scam.

When I did not reply to the email sent by "Stephanie" or the fake Paypal email, I later started to receive text messages from a different phone number 805-270-5895, also reporting to be "Stephanie" which I also did not reply to.
Advertisement

#303827 by Bryon Williams Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:23 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Please sell your item face to face at a public place. Craigslist is not a site for shipping items or non face to face meets. Accept on cash.

This same scam is also done with fake checks, Mo, bank deposits and cashiers checks.

If you have any questions please ask.

(720) 541-9137
7205419137 is a VoIP number provided by Enflick

(805) 270-5895
8052705895 is a VoIP number provided by Google Voice

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#306438 by efusco Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:43 pm
Glad I found this! Got the same sequence of text, email and fake PayPal notification. The whole thing seemed funky from the first email reply, but finding this confirmed my suspicions.