Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#39912 by Szalai Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 am
The case is similar to the "Robert Lucas - Car Scammer" - case. The scammer wanted to use for the shipping money the Western Union.

I've received an e-mail from "Mr Patrick", from [email protected].:
"Hi,
Good Day!
Do you still have this available for sale.

Warm regards,

Mr Patrick
[email protected]"

My car is on the http://www.jofogas.hu (in Hungary of course).

After some e-mails, we recived two e-mail from his "agent"(from here: [email protected]):
1.:
The Online Transfer Order From Santander Bank ® Has Been Approved
Transfer Number :- TF-0007366454892HU
Dear Beneficiary: Me

This message confirms that the sum of € 11,250 EUR has been sent to you by one of Customer i.e Mr Joseph Patrick through Banco Santander Bank Online Payment Services. Below are the instructions you must follow to get the money credited into your bank account. Please find the necessary Payment Details below.

Transaction Summary:

AUTO Amount
€ 10,500 EUR
Transport Charges(Taxes inclusive)

€ 750 EUR

Transfer Charges

€ 150.19 EUR

Total
€ 11,400.19 EUR

TRANSACTION NUMBER
0007366454892HU
Quantity

AUTO Title
my car

Transport Company

ARROWPAK INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COMPANY

Address

Name : Matthew Pauletta
Address : Westwood Bretton Gate
City: Peterborough
Zip-Code : PE3 9UW

Account Details for Remittance
Account Holder Name; Me

Bank Name: My bank

Bank Swift Code: *************

Iban Number: ***************************

Marchant: "My car"

Email Address: [email protected]
NOTE :

This is to confirm to you that the said amount has been successfully transferred by the Mr Joseph Patrick and the payment arrangement above by Mr Joseph Patrick has been deducted from his bank account which is ready to be credited into your account. But the Payment will be subjected to verification to ensure its safe and secured transaction because of the huge money involved.

The above sum has Included the transport charges and taxes as we and the Transport Company quoted for the buyer (As per Banco Santander Bank AUTOMOBILE PAYMENT POLICY). You will receive a Message from the Banco Santander Bank Customer Care Verification Department Shortly informing you on how to send the Transport charges to the transport agent with the above details as soon as possible.

You may contact Banco Santander Bank customer service through Email : [email protected] / +(44) 70457 69365 and Quote the Above Transfer Number for quick recognition of this transaction and this to facilitate the shipping arrangement for quick delivering.

Sincerely,

Margaret Keane,
Executive Vice President
2001-2010 Banco Santander Bank,16 London Road Forest Hill, LONDON, SE23 3JA"

errors:
1. Margaret Keane is working at the "GE Money Bank"(!) as Executive Vice President. And "he" is a woman...
2. Obviously "Margaret" is not a name for a man, but on a picture there was a businessman. (the picture's name was "Bryant_Byrnes-Jack2748.jpg"...) On this picture we can see Jack C. Byrnes, Chief Credit Officer, at the "Treasure State Bank"(!).

In our country there is a saying for this: "Everything is OK, only its neck/throat is bloody."

p.s.: in the second e-mail was this:
"Dear Beneficiary ,

You have received an Automobile Payment of € 11,250 EUR from Mr Joseph Patrick.

We've placed a temporary pending on the funds of this transaction

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New Banco Santander Bank Automobile Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Transport/Delivery Charges (ArrowPak International Exchange Logistics).

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you to go your nearest Western Union Office, and send the extra € 750 to the Transport Shipping Company and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of you Western Union Transaction Receipt (in.JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office
Transport Company Agent : (ARROWPAK INTERNATIONAL)

Address: Name : Matthew Pauletta
Address : Westwood Bretton Gate
City :Peterborough
Zip-Code : PE3 9UW

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested. Should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as:Sender's Name; Receiver's Name; MTCN; Amount Sent;

You may contact Banco Santander Bank service through Email or Telephone: [email protected] / +(44) 70457 69365 or reply to this message directly using the reply button in your email to submit the required information and Quote the Above Transfer Number for quick recognition of this transaction."
Advertisement

#43661 by scorpion1 Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:27 am
Hello,

I have received the following, which looks a very similar scam. I am in the process of finding out causiously.
Lots of spelling mistakes, City of the Bank is Missoula and not Missoury, wrong item marked, etc...
What especially raises attention is shipping before payment is done, which means that if payment is then not done, you cannot get items back!!!

FIRST E_MAIL:

Hi ,

Thanks for your mail.I reside in West Virgina(United State) but presently in Birmingham (United Kingdom) on a Business Trip.I will like to inform you that I'm interested in buying your item(Sony Playstation2) for my son who went on religious mission in abroad.I would like to know the exact amount that you are willing to sell this item in USD Dollars, i will be adding an extra $130 usd for shipment to send this item to its destination (Nigeria) via DHL/Post Office.I will be looking forward to reading back from you with the exact cost you are willing to sell this item in USD dollars including the shipping cost to its destination.

Best Regards,
Mrs X

After some back and forth e-mails:

Hi,

How are you doing Today? I will like to inform you that the payment has been made yesterday and i have received a message from my bank i.e Treasure State Bank that they have sent you a payment confirmation to your email and the money has already transferred.I trust you 100% that is why i proceed to deposited the said amount into your bank account which you provided to me for the payment.Kindly let me know if you have receive the payment confirmation from my bank .I will be looking forward to reading back from you soon.

N.B:Please do check your e -mail box or spam for the payment confirmation.

Best regards,
Mrs X

Supposedly Bank e-mail:

The Wire Transfer Order from Treasure State Bank Online Banking has been Approved .

TRANSFER NUMBER :- 0007366454892CH

We have received a TRANSFER ORDER placed by our Customer (Mrs X) so the total amount we are transferring to your account is (US$ 405.00) transferred to you (PY) as a payment for 1 Unit (Xbox) and it has been successfully processed and has consequently been APPROVED .The financial details of the transaction are stated below:

*** RECEIVER'S INFORMATION ***

Account Holder Name: PY
Iban Number: CH****************
Bank Name: Crédit-Suisse
Bank Swift Code: CRESCHZ***
Total Amount: US$ 405.00
Item Name: Xbox
WITH TOTAL postage included:US$ 405.00
Email:[email protected]

Thank you for using Online Banking System (Wire Transfer) ® As a Payments . We look forward to serving your online with better services in the future.

Please check the above information if they are correct as entered by our numerous customer. If you are having any problem with it just contact the transfer department : [email protected]

NOTE

The transferred Amount will take up to (24-72 HOURS) before your account can be credited,These is due to bank to bank transfer system.Also note that your account will not be credited until you contact us with the ITEM DESCRIPTION THE TRANSFER IS MADE FOR to be sure that you are the Right owner of the Money and that it is not any form of money laundering,With this we will verify with the item description our Customer made us to believe the transfer is been made for.

This is to guide against Crediting an account for Wrong Payment and Cautiousness.

The transferred Amount will not be credited into your Bank account if we can't verify that the Item has been shipped to the buyer from the Courier Service Used and confirming that the item on transit this is what will make us believe the transfer is meant for you . The Scan shipment document (Receipt ) gave to you by the Shipment/Freight Company or Tracking Number must be sent to us In order to Protect Our Customer and Yourself from fraud .

This will be filed for documentation purposes and unforeseen future references that might arise.
If there is an error in the payment details above, Please we advise that you correct it and contact our Customer/Technical Dept at ( [email protected]) , You can send the SCAN RECEIPT or TRACKING NUMBER stating the TSBank Code-TF- 0007366454892CH as the Subject for easy clarifications.

Note:Your account will be credited immediately upon confirmation of the details required by us moreover our customer cannot cancel or stop the transfer after you might have sent the tracking number and the shipment receipt to us.

Thank you for using Treasure State Bank On-line Banking System (Wire Transfer)®.We look forward to serving your on-line with better services in the future.

Treasure State Bank® Online Transfer.

Sincerely,

Transfer Team Manager
Jack C.Byrnes
(Chief Credit Officer)
2001-2010 Treasure State Bank, Inc. Missouri, Montana