Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#40272 by xtremetech Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 pm
JB Electronics. I paid this company $550 for 2 Apple iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked. I want to know if they are a scam, so I can get my money back. Has anyone ever dealt with them? They have genuine license, address, and phone number. They accept paypal, moneybookers, netteller, alertpay, T/T, and credit card. I have payed them. It takes 5-7 days to recieve the items, I orderd it two days ago, If anyone can tell me if their legit? I can still cancel the order. Please help, if can't then tell me where I can find a reliable phone and laptop wholesaler. Contact me at [email protected] please. Thank you!
Advertisement

#40277 by Jim Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:54 pm
Hi there xt, and welcome to Scamwarners!

Before we can help, we need a bit more information from you. Did you order from a website, or through email? Oftentimes fake electronics sellers will use the names of legitimate companies, so there could be a real company called JB Electronics, and also 50 scammers calling themselves JB Electronics!

If you could point us to where you discovered this company and/or where and how you ordered the iPhones, we will be more than happy to take a look at them.

Got a warning from [email protected]? That's me!
Remember, legitimate businesses CANNOT accept payment through Western Union or Moneygram! Scammers use these services because once they receive money it is virtually untraceable!
#40308 by xtremetech Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 am
I ordered through email. I paid via Alerpay. When I payed, it said what your buying, and he wrote the goods for the reason of the payment, and in the description, he wrote "This is regarding the supply of 2 Apple Iphone 4 - 32GB , White /Black color- Unlocked - Brand new with all standard Accessories and One year Intenational warranty from Apple Inc. The price is inclusive of following items as listed below: 1) Brand NEW Original Apple iPhone 4 32GB White Unlocked Brand NEW Original Apple iPhone 4 32GB Black Unlocked (2) MicroSim to Sim Card Adapters - 2 Nos. 3) Sim to MIcroSim Cutter 4)screen protectors 5) Apple Iphone Hard Cases ( one White/gold and one Black/gold colors) Shipment through UPS Logistics services." This is what he wrote. He did not look like a scam because he had a legit address, number, and license. He is in India and the certificate was in Hindi. Since I'm indian, I read the certificate. I bought the products. He said he gets the products from end distributors, and the phones will be despatched by Friday, so it will take more then a week for me to get them. He didn't seem like a fraud because he knew really good english. Please can you do a backround check or find someone who's legitimate. Thank you!
#40311 by Jim Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:36 am
Again, I don't quite have enough info to take any action here, because people online can call themselves whatever they want. Could you post an email address or perhaps a website address that we can look at?

If you could post an email from him (the first one he ever sent you would be best) with full headers (check around the forums for detailed instructions on how to do this if you don't already know), that would provide us with very valuable information to give you a certain answer. Please make sure to mask out any of your own personal details :)

Remember, legitimate businesses CANNOT accept payment through Western Union or Moneygram! Scammers use these services because once they receive money it is virtually untraceable!
#40333 by xtremetech Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:47 pm
The Email is [email protected]. This is his first email:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your enquiry,
Please find the attachment of the price list of Apple product as per you request.

Apple iPhones 3G - 8GB (never-locked) - 320 USD
Apple iPhones 3G- 16GB (never-locked) - 367 USD
Apple iphone 3GS -16gb - unlocked = 407 USD
Apple iphone 3GS - 32GB - Unlocked = 423 USD

Apple Ipad 16GB WiFi = 487 USD
Apple Ipad 32GB WiFi = 575 USD
Apple Ipad 64GB WiFi = 644 USD

Apple Ipad 16GB WiFi + 3Gs= 611 USD
Apple Ipad 32GB WiFi + 3Gs = 678 USD
Apple Ipad 64GB WiFi + 3Gs = 761 USD
Apple Iphone 4G – 16GB = 423 USD
Apple Iphone 4G – 32GB = 518 USD

Available in White and Black colors and also in Euro specification.
All items are Original, 100% Genuine brand new, factory sealed packed, with standard accessories.
We also supply All Parts and Accessories for all above products
Payment : Paypal / Moneybookers/Alertpay/Credit Cards (Master Card, Visa, American Express)
Delivery in 3-5 days
Shipment through UPS, Fedex or DHL
We also do dropshipping for auction sellers.

If you are interested in any of above products, please be free to email us .
Looking forward to hear from you with your valuable enquiry and orders.
Thanks and best regards
Raj

This was the email. He later gave me the price of $280 for iPhone 4 32GB
#40335 by Jim Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm
Well, I am sorry to inform you that he DOES appear to be a scammer. A google search of his email address points me to an "ad" here which is pretty much verbatim what you posted here, and smells quite strongly of a fake electronics scammer. I find it weird that he doesn't use Western Union or Moneygram, but those other payment options seem just as untraceable to me.

If you post the headers of the email (process to do this varies depending on your email provider) we can trace where he's actually sending them from, which can help to add to the evidence. The fact that his advertised price for the 32GB iPhone 4G was $518 but he's willing to sell them to you for $280 is a clue as well. No legitimate business would cut a price that much without you even asking them to. He must have gotten a tad confused on his prices, or he was simply making them MUCH more appealing hoping to get money.

I know you said you can get your money back, and I heartily recommend that you try, but I dare say you'll have little luck. They only way you would get your money back is if the guy is legitimate. A scammer, once he has your money, wouldn't give it up for anything. Be warned that he may try to charge you extra money to "get your money back" (since we all know that's how business is done). Of course that would never happen, but he'll be happy to take that money.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this. Buying phones or any other electronics on the internet can be confusing and dangerous. I would highly suggest a brick-and-mortar store for buying these things. Sure you're paying retail prices, but really for something so new you should expect to.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you. It's what we're here for.

#40348 by xtremetech Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm
He gave me $280 because I'll have to pay the rest after I get the products. Even if he scams me I will get my money back the clean way or dirty way. In the clean way I'll get my moneybackthrough alertpay or cardservices. In the dirty way, I"ll hack his email and alertpay account and make it so that it sends me $1000 to my account. That will teach him a lesson. I already paid, soI just have to wait for the results. If you can, please tell me where I can find a reliable supplier. Also, I tracked his IP address down, and it comes from the address he gave me, and I told someone to visit his shop, and they are doing it right now.
#40355 by Jim Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:47 pm
The "give me half now and the other half when you get the products" is a very common thing among electronics scammers. I've never heard of a real business doing things that way.

I hope you have good luck doing things the "clean way" with alertpay, though I'm betting the scammer used it for a reason. I've never heard of or dealt with them, so if they end up giving you your money back please let me know. I'd be thoroughly impressed.

As far as the "dirty way" you mentioned, ScamWarners doesn't advocate ANY of that AT ALL. What you described would certainly put you in a shady legal situation as it is essentially theft. Any further discussion I'm sure would bring you a nice talking to by our friendly mod team.

As for a "reliable supplier," again I suggest going to an actual store, or in the case of iPhones, contacting Apple directly. The internet is quite literally infested with electronics scammers and doing this is really the best way to ensure you're getting what you want.

#40358 by xtremetech Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:51 pm
Since I already bought from him. I;m also really aware about scams. The person accepted credit card. No one accepts that. Also in the description he wrote everything true about the products, even that they're from Apple Inc. I already have paid. We will only know when he sends me the goods in a couple of days.
#40372 by GomerPyle Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:33 am
If you've paid by credit card then you can make a claim on your card company once you're sure that you aren't going to get the promised goods.

It's unusual for a scammer to accept credit cards but we have come across instances where scammers will try to persuade you to divulge your card details and then pass charges through an unscrupulous trader who has the ability to pass card transactions through a merchant trader facility. Because it's so easy for a victim to get their money back this scam is usually performed by more organised scammers who make the scam a little more complex.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#40379 by xtremetech Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:32 am
I din't give him my credit card details. I'm not that stupid. I paid throigh Alertpay. In that he said to pay via credit card. The ironic thing was that he wrote: "This is regarding the supply of 2 Apple Iphone 4 - 32GB , White /Black color- Unlocked - Brand new with all standard Accessories and One year Intenational warranty from Apple Inc. The price is inclusive of following items as listed below: 1) Brand NEW Original Apple iPhone 4 32GB White Unlocked Brand NEW Original Apple iPhone 4 32GB Black Unlocked (2) MicroSim to Sim Card Adapters - 2 Nos. 3) Sim to MIcroSim Cutter 4)screen protectors 5) Apple Iphone Hard Cases ( one White/gold and one Black/gold colors) Shipment through UPS Logistics services. " That is ironic because scmamers usually write some junk there. Also, he knows well English. The only thing I don't like about him is that he said I will get the goods in 3-4 days. It was been 6 days since I paid, and still hasn't sent me the tracking number, but when I email him, he replies back and said he will dispatch the goods after the festival ends.
#40380 by Jim Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:00 am
I'm not trying to be confrontational here, please understand that.

xtremetech wrote:That is ironic because scmamers usually write some junk there.

I don't know what you're expecting to see, but what you pasted looks on par with what I always see electronics scammers writing, and I deal with a decent amount of them.

xtremetech wrote:Also, he knows well English.

One does not have to speak a non-English language natively to be a scammer. There are English scammers, and there are African scammers that are very well-educated in English. Scammers come from all walks of life.

xtremetech wrote:It was been 6 days since I paid, and still hasn't sent me the tracking number, but when I email him, he replies back and said he will dispatch the goods after the festival ends.

I'm fairly certain that once the "festival" ends there will either be another excuse as to why you don't have a tracking number. There may also be another fee of some sort that will come up. Export tax, customs fee, whatever he makes up to try and get more money from you. PLEASE do not pay this additional fee. There will be many more after it.

#40381 by Mac Ramses Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 am
I have a question for xtremetech,

You have mentioned a Hindi certificate/license for this (obviously fraudulent) trader. What is the license for exactly? As far as I have always been aware, you can only get NEW Apple products from a legitimate and verified Apple reseller. Anyone not authorized is a crook, simple as that IMO.

Email scammers are two a penny and the format you have shown here is typical, as noted already by the staff. How did you first make contact with him? Did you go to him, or did you get an unsolicited email offering you this deal?

GomerPyle mentions one aspect of a scammer being able to accept credit cards, here's another. It's a ruse to promote credibility. If you were to try (and he has no method of actually abusing or using the card details), he would make an excuse as to why he cannot take the card at the moment.

I am the son, begotten by Ra
#40516 by Mac Ramses Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:39 am
Further info. I have confirmed that JB Electronics cannot accept a credit card payment directly. If you ask to pay by Credit Card you will get a request to pay MoneyBookers.COM.

#40560 by Mac Ramses Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:00 am
Further info. These are the banking details given for a direct wire transfer.

I am giving you our bank account details to make wire transfer :

Bank Name : AXIS BANK Ltd
Bank Address : Uthalar Branch,
George Mansion, Utalsar Naka, LBS Marg,
Thane - 400601, Thane - west,
Maharashtra, India

Bank Account name : BRIGHT WONDERS
Bank Account No. : 509010200002400 (15 Digits)
Bank Swift Code : AXISINBB061

As you can see from the above, the account name is different from 'JB Electronics'. Taking that detail I found the following Manufacturer.COM profile for 'Bright Wonders'. http://www.manufacturer.com/company/i63 ... nders.html - Apparently this came from EC21 in May 2009. Further details below:-
Main Products: Apple Ipods Iphones; Digital Cameras Digital Photo frame; Iron and steel scraps; Copper and aluminium scraps; Billets GC GI Sheets wires rods; and lot more
No. of Employees: 20 ~ 50

We are the leading supplier and exporter of Major electronic items such as Apple ipods, iphones 3G, Mp3, mp4 players, mp5 players, Digital cameras, Digital photo frame, PCB's, photographic lenses. We also trade in Ferrous , non ferrous , minerals , ores and Iron and steel scraps , sheets, coils, billets and other non ferrous products.

Contact Details
Company Name: Bright wonders
Address: 2, Maheshwar Niketan , Thane (w)
Tel: 91-22-64527376
Fax: 91-22-25365225
Homepage: http://jbelectro.com (domain was deleted, is available again)
Contact Person: P.Raj ( CEO )