Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#40680 by Zach Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 am
Hi there, I was about to make a purchase from this website http://www.e-shopperworld.com/ I did an online search to check whether this shop was actually safe and trustworthy, upon my searching I came across Scamwarners and an article viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11233&p=40164 where it was talking about another online website selling electronic products as well. From that thread, I realised that the website and logos were almost exactly the same. The US contact number that was posted on that site was also the same as the one I was about to order from. I did a check of the domain on http://whois.domaintools.com/e-shopperworld.com but it just said it was owned by Domain Privacy Group, Inc. and the address given was 7030 Woodbine Ave. Suite 800 Markham, ON L3R 6G2 CA. I live in Singapore and I don't really know how to check whether this is a valid address or company. I tried calling the local number but it just seems to be busy. I also sent an email to them and just awaiting their reply. Can any one tell me if this is a scam??? Thanks a lot!
Advertisement

#40681 by GomerPyle Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:40 am
I have little doubt it's a scam.

I've just been through the buying process and they include Western Union as an option which is a fair indicator. Probably through reading reports on sites like this they have learned to hide that away behind the payment process but it only takes a couple of minutes to fill junk info into their form. A normal form would be checking details as you complete it but you don't have to make any effort to come up with trash info that it'll accept. It also offers payment to the Phillipines or Singapore which is unusual for a US based company but obviously they have associates in those countries.

Invariably payment won't be going to an account in the name of the company claiming to operate the website and most likely you'll be offered Western Union as the method of payment, which will go to a private individual.

They make big claims about being the world's major online shopping network :laugh-s:

eShopper world is one of the largest and most comprehensive online shopping networks on the web

.... and yet don't accept debit or credit cards, in spite of carrying the logos on their website. My local corner shop can take cards.

Most Orders are Shipped as a gift to waive import and export duties also there are no sales Tax for your purchase.

Advertising that they operate illegally isn't smart but then if they traded in the US or UK they'd have to register for payment of tax and it'd be easy to check up on them.

Googling the customer testimonial throws up other sites with the same comments and using a Privacy Protection company to hide their identity leaves no doubt.

It's a scam.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#40685 by Zach Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:58 am
thanks a lot GomerPyle! Learnt a lot from today, guess people should really get themselves more aware of these kinda scams. Just learnt of this website as I was searching the web whether that webbie was a scam. Thanks again dude!
#40693 by GomerPyle Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:51 pm
I'm not exaggerating when I say that there are thousands of these scam electronics sites on the web and many of them look like the real thing with shopping carts and dummy purchasing process, but I recall several years back that you could get the site set up templates off free disks from magazines, and with a bit of basic fiddling you could build hundreds all looking different.

For the unwary internet shopper these sites are lethal. How many people are going to look at website registrations ?

If you don't know the company and can't confirm that it's their website it's just not worth the risk. The risk is the same as if you paid a stranger cash against his promise to mail you the goods.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer