Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#131439 by dlizano Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 pm
I got the same email from bonnie lyons [email protected]

He/She first reached me by text, them by email

1st email:
When last was it serviced, how long have you owned it?? and what's your lowest price for it.

2nd email:
Thanks for the response,i will take the item for 10,256USD including PayPal Sub charges since i am interested in the immediate purchase.I just moved to the United Kingdom,where this is needed and i will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from you and have it delivered to me.Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once i have paid you.I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person,So do get back to me with the details below so that i could proceed with the payment:

Name:
PayPal Email address
Cell Phone No:

i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and if you don't have an account with paypal, you can just visit, www.paypal.com and sign up for an account with your e-mail.

Kindly get back to me as soon as possible so that we could finalize this transaction.

I wait to read from you soon.

I am from Costa Rica, so its definitely a scam, since first our steering wheels are at the other side of the car haha, and obviously it doesn't make sense.

Its curious that they dont ask for a deposit for shipping this time.
Advertisement

#134574 by MG999 Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 pm
The scam is still going on. I posted my car for sale on kijiji in Alberta, Canada and immediately I received a text from a phone with a 213 area code (Los Angeles) from the person interested in my car (what are the odds!?). I have to mention that my car is not special and this is not underpriced. I noticed that his English and grammar was far from perfect. English is my second language, but I could distinguish good professional language from somebody pretending to have it.

Here is his response.

Great to read back from you,i am okay with the final asking price and i will more information on the condition as i am buying it for my vacation,because i am coming soon from work,our rig as am a petroleum project engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction due to bad weather condition our satellite server has been down. I have contact a private courier agent who will come for the Pick up after the payment have been made... so no shipping included. i will be paying you through PayPal It's pretty easy to set up a PayPal account at http://www.paypal.com it's just a few minutes away from signing up. it's safe and secure for both Parties and i have been using PayPal to buy and sell for years now without problems, I will need these following details so i can proceed with the payment right away.

1:Is it Fully Registered and Insured?
2: Reason for Sale?
3: Engine Status
4: Painting or Rust Involved?

As soon as you get back to me with your PayPal email, I'll proceed with full Payment. I look forward to reading from you soon.
Await your reply.
Regards.

I replied by texting, but he asked to use e-mail. My payment condition was a Bank Draft, not even cash. My position is- I do not trust to Paypal . NO MONEY-NO DEAL.
#138707 by Juanca2907 Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:38 pm
Hello, I was contacted by eric.donald19hotmail.com, he offers to buy (today Sunday 12/09/2012) my used car anounced at Mercado Libre, this week.

He sent us an e-mail accepting our price of USD$1.400.00 and car conditions, By an used Honda Accord 1987 posted at Mercado Libre List. So, he said that and he paid for it at "PayPal but including another $500.00 to be send it by Western Union to "activate the deposit on Hold Status at PayPal offices" That smell bad...I thougt, because he said that his deposit was not only for $1.400.00 but for $2.100.00??? It means another kind of interest I though...exactly!!!! He wants and tries to obtain $500.00 to be send it as a condition of PayPal payment...He saids he works at a Ship in Bermudas as an Marine Engineer...and because "he cant to contact Western Union offices in this Sea Work...

This another $500.00 needs to be send it by Western Union to one guy named David Kenneth in Mexico, before I recieves the deposit in my PayPal own account...as an unique condition of PayPal.

BE CAREFULL DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY to this guy or accept any kind of deal like this, ITS A SCAM
#138797 by Sandyb57 Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 pm
I posted my vehicle on Craigslist, got two almost immediate responses from "Mark Dowell" <[email protected]> and "rubson lopez" <[email protected]>. I was excited, at first, because I need to sell the vehicle. Then, my skepticism started working overtime. I Googled the "Mark Dowell" name and found you guys.
#166028 by Roosterd Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 pm
Seems it's still going on...
Got an email from Larry Tidwell (Oceanographer) [email protected]
Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be
disappointed if i buy this Vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as
I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm
an Oceanographer and i am presently on a contract which will end in
couple of months,the contract is strictly no call due to the lack of
reception on the sea area,but I'm able to access my mail through my
laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal,its safe fast and
secure and i will be responsible for the pay pal transaction charges
so you can get your expected amount.If you don't have an account with
paypal,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to www.paypal.com and
Dad's birthday is fast approaching,am sure he will love this
vehicle,his a mechanic and a handy man,so if there is anything that
need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it.I have a
mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your
account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear
from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your last asking price:
Your Zip code for pickup:

Thanks.
#166283 by karstenz Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 am
yeah, scam alright.

Now using the names Paul Lane (the son) and Miran/Miranda Lane (the mum) who is buying the car for her son. Mum is an oceanographer of the coast of New Zealand. Wants to buy the car sight unseen and send to Malaysia (....what ever!!). Somehow sending texts without phone number, and replying to text doesn't work.

They are quick - got the text within an hour of listing the car!

GumTree needs to do something about this - these scammers clearly have GumTree worked out.
#166310 by TerranceBoyce Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 am
Welcome karstenz.

Smart scammer - he can spell the word 'oceanographer' :lol:

You can send online texts and it may be a service the scammer is using.

It's such a problem the scammers are in a race to get to ads the quickest, because the first scammer wins the race against his fellow scammers. He doesn't plan on hooking everyone he contacts, so he'll send out hundreds of texts a day. He only needs a couple of replies a day to make it a lucrative business. They don't restrict themselves to one ad site either, and not just cars. One scammer tried to buy a wedding dress, but that's what happens when they aren't paying attention.

It's a major problem, especially for those who aren't aware of the risks.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#166531 by dragon692002 Wed May 22, 2013 5:37 pm
same thing happened to me except via phone... i posted my car on craigslist.com for sale and this is how it went down via text message. ill post number at end of post.

Hi,this is Tony,i will like to know if the 1975 Camaro - $1200 (City, State)
will be happy to buy it but i will not be able to come and view it in your place because I'm not in town now. Note that you will not be responsible for shipping and ahandling and the payment will be made through PayPal.My shipping company will come to your location for the pick up. Kindly provide me with the address where it will be picked up so that i can forward it to the shipping company to

Thats it... Red flags... who takes the time to type 1975 Camaro - $1200 (City, State). real buyers would just ask if the car is still for sale or if the camaro is for sale normally.
worst grammar than i have lol, not finishing sentences, and instantly wants the car without asking for more pics or any information on the car. You could seriously post a car for sale with out a picture and they will still say they trust your word... In this world nobody trusts anyone... Everyone is out to screw you and that's the attitude you gotta have when selling stuff online. And last but not least, there is no need for a street address for shipping estimates, all they need is the township and state.

as for the number that contacted me via phone, (203) 772-8439. New Haven, CT number
#166963 by Bhartley Sun May 26, 2013 3:56 pm
Wow-- got the same text from this guy. I emailed pics of motor- and then received the exact same email. Glad I decided to search a little bit. Just thought it was funny that you can somehow text, but can't make cell calls? Amazing that people do this.
#167959 by boroboy22 Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:40 pm
look out for this addy too ..... Please note this e-mail is from an interested customer not from Auto Trader.

Never reply to an e-mail that asks for personal information or copies of your vehicle documentation including the V5C. Keep vehicle documentation and details regarding your vehicle including your VIN number secure at all times.

If you are in doubt regarding an e-mail you have received, report it immediately to [email protected] or call us on 0845 345 3450.

The following customer is interested in the vehicle you are advertising on
http://www.autotrader.co.uk

Received: 5 June 2013 16:20

Customer Details:
NAME: MRS thomas
TELEPHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: BMW
MODEL: 5 SERIES
PRICE: £5350

and....

Received: 5 June 2013 17:53

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Gerald Dawson
TELEPHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: BMW
MODEL: 5 SERIES
PRICE: ?5350

Hi, is this car still available for sale, what is its condition and final price? Regards, Gerald.
#168105 by blonde_chick Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:07 am
Looks like that piece of human excrement, Gerald Dawson, is still doing the rounds - got this email from him today in response to an ad on Autotrader:

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my brother-in-law. I am at the sea at the moment as I am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone call and visiting of websites are restricted but I just have to squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise package for my brother-in-law so I won't let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insist on PayPal as my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, so I will need you to get back to me with your PayPal email address and your final price so I can make the payment for the car asap. Please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, log on to www.paypal.com and get it set up. After you have set it up, I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a shipper that will come and pick up the car after I must have made the payment for the car and funds available in your account.

My Regards.
#169504 by TerranceBoyce Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:28 am
Welcome to Scamwarners blonde_chick and Louloulashess.

Ignore them and don't lead them here or help their education by telling them why you know they were scamming.

They'll be sending out 100's of contacts a day and they only need a few victims to bite to make it worthwhile.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#170708 by ibipapa Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:50 pm
I received exactly same email

kudeti larah <[email protected]>
Thanks for the prompt response.I'm Okay with the condition of the Car
as i have already go through it on the ad but just trying to make
little inquiry from you ready to buy it now for my
Daughter, I'm at sea at the moment as I'm a Navy Officer,and due to
the nature of my Job.....phone calls making and visiting of website
are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send
you a Text regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my
Daughter i won't let her know anything about it until it gets
delivered to her, i am sure she will