Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#41183 by maitak22 Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 am
hello,

these past few days my cousin put out his motorbike for sale. he got an answer by a person claiming that she wanted to buy the motorbike and she would transfer the money my cousin was asking only if he had a paypal account.. i had a paypal account so i ve sent via email the invoice for the money my cousin required for the bike and i got an email saying the following...:

<<Dear maitak22,

Hi, my name is Williams and I was directed to notify you of the payment made to your PayPal account by one of our customer Mrs Sharon Walter.The sum of €10,220.00 EUR is ready and available to be credited into your PayPal account.The Funds is being pend and held in our escrow external PayPal account, the funds cannot be reversed under any circumstances and will be credited into your account shortly,as soon as we confirm the payment receipt of the western union details from you of the sum of €850.00 EUR being the excess payment added to €9,370.00 EUR.You have been requested to transfer the sum of €850.00 EUR through western union money transfer to Mrs Sharon Walter cargo agent in London with the following information:

Fred Martins
74 burrage road,
Woolwich,SE18 7LL
London,
United Kingdom

We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause you, this was done to protect the interest of our clients both the buyer and seller and PayPal's integrity as an online financial company.

To process the money into your account reply directly to this email with the MTCN from western union transaction, sender's name and address used when sending the money.After which you will receive a "CONFIRMATORY E-mail" from PayPal® Service informing you that your account has been credited with the total sum of €10,220.00 EUR as soon as the above information is received and verified.

Note: As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service,all inquiries should be mail directly to our 24/7 PayPal online customer care service e-mail :verifications_teams@ accountant.com as the transaction is being monitored for you because of the status of this transaction has not been passed on to the phone service section of our customer care.

Please, understand that this is a security measure to help protect our client interest,both the Buyer and the Seller. Therefore, we apologize for the inconvenience that we may have caused you.

Thank you for using PayPal!

Sincerely,

A. Williams,
The PayPal Team.>>

1) she send me more money than what i ve billed her for through paypal...
2) we never discussed let alone agreed to send me the money for the cargo agent
3) through email she claimed she lived in the uk so does the cargo agent wouldnt it be more logical if she payed over there the cargo agent than sending me the money here in Greece and then we should resend it via western union to the uk?????
is this a fraud or what???? and how can we warn paypal about this???

thanks a lot in advance
Advertisement

#41186 by Dotti Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 am
This is a scam that is happening quite a bit these days.

You can forward it to [email protected] although there is not too much they can do about it, because the scammer actually has not used paypal in any way.

Accountant.com email addresses are free addresses from mail.com.

Can you post the original email from the buyer, including her email address, so others can be warned if they search for "her" name or address?

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#41189 by maitak22 Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 pm
of course... this is 'her' email address and some of her emails...

<< MY COUSIN: ok but you have first to explain me HOW??answer all the questions from all my previous mails and then u ll have my paypal!!!sorry but i have to be sure about what it is going on !! I AM HONEST AND I M EXPECTING THE SAME FROM YOU!!! .

Sharon Walter 19 ?OVEMBER 9:23 PM
please what the question?but i think i told you that my pick uo agent will come to pick it up after payment..so i need your paypal email for the payemnt...am also honest and i want us to be honest to each other in this transaction...so kindly send your paypal email for payment. .

MY COUSIN 20 ?ovember 7:05 pm my cousin is using paypal and has an account please give me your email so that we can send you the paypal invoice so that the money are transfered there. .

Sharon Walter 20 ?ovember 9:26 pm
ok..here is my paypal email: [email protected] ..kindly send your paypal email for payment. >>

that is why we started getting suspicious

best regards and thank you guys... i hope more people are warned
#41193 by Dotti Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:38 pm
Just to make it clear to anyone reading this thread who has never seen this scam before:

Paypal is not involved in any way--in fact, the scammer likely doesn't even have a paypal account! All the scammer has done is send a fake email, supposedly from paypal, to try to convince the victim that the money has been transferred and is on hold until the victim sends the money to the "cargo agent."

If the victim were to send the money to the "cargo agent" nothing would happen. No money would appear in the victim's paypal account, the transfer would be picked up, and the "buyer" would simply disappear. That's because he had no interest in the item for sale in the first place. In reality, the "cargo agent" is the scammer himself. All he intends to do is to get the cash from Western Union and walk away.

Paypal transfers are instant. Paypal does not have any program in which funds are held for shipping or anything else. These "programs" exist only in the imagination of the scammers. If a buyer has paid you, you can log into paypal directly by typing paypal.com into your browser (never follow a link provided in an email), and see the money in your account. If you do not see the money in your account, then you haven't been paid, and you should not send a dime, or your item anywhere!

#41388 by ttvictory Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:58 pm
i just wanna warn everybody with this following conversation between me and mrs "sharon walter":

Hello There,
still for sale?I really have interest....what the actual price you are willing to sell it and it present
condition?
Await Your reply
Sharon Walter

hey sharon.
i ve posted the photo yesterday evening and of cause it´s still for sale. the final price is 13000 € / 17210 $ because i spend a lot money in it this year- more than 13000!
the conditions? very, very good, almost new, like the photo. i bought it last year, spend a lot of time as well, but now i will get another buell and i don´t have the space for both- unfortunately. the cycle was standing in my garage the hole time.
best regards

Thanks so much for the mail,..I would like to make purchase of it at the rate of the said amount...I
am getting this bike for my family and I will be making arrangements for the pick up ...However, I will
not be able to come for inspection, all i need is your word of sincerity that the item is in good
condition as described online.I would like you to know that i am really interested in buying the item,I
am willing to offer you 13000 € for it,please let me know if you accept my offer??payment will be
through paypal and the pick up will be arranged...i will be waiting to hear from you.
Best Regard

hello sharon. thanx for your reply.
i am happy to hear, that you are interested buying this nice cycle.
believe me its in perfect condition and its not nessasary to check it before.
i would like to know where are you actually from? i live in berlin, germany.
paypal would the best way of payment. i would like to receive the money (13.000,00) in euro otherwise i have to pay to much fees.
if you are fine with this transaction, please send the money to: xxxx via paypal.
hope to hear from you soon
best regards

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation and make sure you end the item
immediately.. am very glad to see you write back.As for the bike pick up
and test drive of the bike,my shipping agent will be accessing that and
they will also be coming for the pick up.Please send me your address so that
my pick up agent can figure it out and come for the pick up and other necessary things after the payment have been made,they will also be coming with all the information needed,my
details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by the
pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that.I will be sending the
payment shortly and i will email you when am done with it.More so you will
be notify by PayPal in your email address after i make the payment,so just
make sure you check your email often and often to confirm payment when it is
completed.
Await your Payment.
Thanks for been nice and considerate about this.

hi sharon,
so, the cycle is stored at my motorcycle dealer.
i will check my emails everyday anyway, so i will see when the payment is done.
after that we can make an arrangment with your shipping agent (?) for testdriving, details and everything.
so, let me know.
thank you for your confidence
#46053 by UKscam Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:56 am
Hi,

I just had the same situation, but name of the "client" was Clark Bolton ([email protected]).
I asked the shipping company (Courier Exchange - agent should be Peter Raymond, Manchester Lancashire, M21 9PW, United Kingdom) and PayPal (A. Williams, The PayPal Team, orignal email [email protected]) to confirm the names in e-mail and I am expecting negative answer. All emails from "PayPal" and "Shipping agent" has been forwarded to SPAM, where I found them.

We had a luck to speak to the guy "Clark Bolton" (before we realized it could be scam). First he contacted us via SMS from internet, but the portal showed also his real number +447045784285. We just wanted to clear some details and when he realized who is calling, he laughed and started to pretend he has a bad signal.

In email he pushed us to pay 800 EUR in Western Union and AFTER he will send us all details, sign contract and all similar things for car selling.

Thanks God I am letting all the important decisions on morning, when the head is clear.
And thaks to the internet, google and the previous discussion I could find out the truth.

Enjoy the day and beware of bad virtual business! :beer: :beer:
#46059 by Dotti Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 am
Welcome UKscam,

A few points in case you weren't aware:
-Numbers starting with 44-70 are redirect numbers that are forwarded to phones all over the world. They are used by scammers who are pretending to be in UK when they are really nowhere near UK (they are usually in Africa, sometimes Malaysia).
-accountant.com emails are free email addresses issued by mail.com They have no connection whatsoever to paypal. If you were to ask that address to verify the identities of the people in the scam, they would say they are real, because the person answering the email would be one of the scammers.
-the easiest way to confirm any paypal email is a scam is to forward it to [email protected] where it will be reviewed and paypal will confirm whether it is a scam.
-paypal transfers are instant--if you have really been paid, you can go to paypal.com (never follow a link in an email), log into your account, and see your money. If you don't, then you haven't been paid. Paypal does NOT hold money for shipping or any other reasons (scammers claim they do, but it's not true).

#46346 by UKscam Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:47 pm
Hi Dotti,

thank you for your information in first point! That was new for me.

Btw. both (PayPal and the shipping company) didnt confirmed identity of people I had asked about and wrote that they had similar problems in the past.
#46574 by cyccc Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 am
Same here from [email protected]
I had my bike for sale and i've got that email from clarkbolton saying:

still for sale???

That's right! Still for sale.
Any further info, email me.

Thanks for your reply...I really have interest....what the actual price you are willing to sell it and it
present condition?
Await Your reply

The bike is in perfect condition. Has only one oil change
I storage the bike in my garage.
Now the bike has 4500 km.
Where do you live?

-no answer from him-

still in interest?

Yes i still have interest...let me know the asking price..ok?

€6750
The bike was bought in 2009 Autumn brand new one but is the 2008 model.
It's full fairing.
If you want to see the bike or meet you and discuss about it, i can make you even better price.
My num is 9******* if you want to discuss it from the phone.

-and finally-

Thanks so much for the mail,..I would like you to know that i am really interested in buying the item,I am willing to offer you 6,750 euro for it,However, I will not be able to come for inspection, all i need is your word of sincerity that the item is in good condition as described online please let me know if you accept my offer ??payment will be through paypal and the pick up will be arranged...i will be waiting to hear from you.
Best Regard

hehehe :lol:

Thanks for the info guys :bowdown:
And be aware!
#53979 by Tofte Sun May 22, 2011 2:47 pm
Well thanks a lot everyone for the warning!!
Ive just tried to sell my car to a person "Erin Voss" with the exact same approach as you all can tell.
I was a bit nervous about it and tried then to google if anyone knew that it could be fake. And then I found this site!! Thank you so much!! BUT PLEASE ALSO NOTICE THE NAME "ERIN VOSS".
#59596 by iceman31 Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm
Same Bolton Clark contacting me about my truck - wanting to pay by Paypal - I told him I would only take a certified cheque. He offered that also. I have now just deleted his e-mails after reading all of this crap. I suspected a scam and I was right.
#90261 by daburakk Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:27 am
Same thing happened to me, from [email protected]..... They wanted me to send money to a a courier agency in london, when I live in Australia.

Receiver's Name:
Address:
Name : Audrey Allthorpe
Address : 32 Old Gloucester St, Bloomsbury,
City : London, WC1N 3AA
United Kingdom.

I suspected this was bullshit, so I googled "[email protected]" and it led me to this site, and it verified that this was a scam. Thanks people :) I wish someone just :bondage: these scammers lol..