Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#41872 by Con Warner Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:30 am
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 03:56:17 -0800
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad
To: Con Warner

Thanks For Getting back to me .I am buying this car for my darling mum as a Birthday Gift and i am working offshore at the moment as i am a petro-chemical engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my mum so i wont let her know anything about it until it gets delivered to her, i am sure she will be more than happy with it. I insisted on pay-pal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my pay-pal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your pay-pal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have pay-pal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with pay-pal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the
payment.

Paypal is not involved in any way--in fact, the scammer likely doesn't even have a paypal account! All the scammer has done is send a fake email, supposedly from paypal, to try to convince the victim that the money has been transferred and is on hold until the victim sends money to the "cargo agent."

If the victim were to send the money to the "cargo agent" nothing would happen. No money would appear in the victim's paypal account, the transfer would be picked up, and the "buyer" would simply disappear. That's because he had no interest in the item for sale in the first place. In reality, the "cargo agent" is the scammer himself. All he intends to do is to get the cash from Western Union and walk away.

Paypal transfers are instant. Paypal does not have any program in which funds are held for shipping or anything else. These "programs" exist only in the imagination of the scammers. If a buyer has paid you, you can log into paypal directly by typing paypal.com into your browser (never follow a link provided in an email), and see the money in your account. If you do not see the money in your account, then you haven't been paid, and you should not send a dime, or your item anywhere!

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement