Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#5018 by mountainman Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:21 am
So I put a guitar up for sale on craigslist. First thing I have ever tried to sell on there. I got an email from a dude asking if it was still available. I replied and said yes. I got this:

Hi,
I'm glad to know it's still available. I'm presently on a vacation but I can ask my assistant to prepare and mail out your payment. And I am sure you will receive it in the next 2 - 5 business days. I'm even willing to add $30 extra for you to keep it in my favour and also for the delay. Money Order is the means I will pay you with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e your full name and address(not a P.O.Box) where the payment will be sent to and also a reachable Phone number. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the money order.
Awaiting your info
Thanks.

Awaiting your info

Well like the big dumb butt I am I gave the dude my real address and number. Probably an hour after I sent the email I got a call on my cell from a hidden number. I said hello and they hung up. I figure it was just a type of probe call. Then I get a random text from someone I don't even know that also seemed like a probe to find out if I was actually the person I said I was. I gave the person a bogus name and asked if they went to a bogus school I made up. Then I sent this email back to the guy:

Arnold,
I just did some research about fraud on craigslist. I am nervous about my first sale. Some safety tips posted on the website reccommend that I shouldn't use money orders because there are a lot of counterfeits.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
I would appreciate it if we only delt with cash only and face to face at a public/safe place. I don't mind meeting with your assistant. I am sorry if this inconveniences you but if you legitimately want to buy my guitar then you wouldn't mind paying me with cash instead.

Is there anything I should be worried about here since this more than likely scammer has my address and number?
Advertisement

#5019 by John DeLaney Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:27 am
Hi and welcome Mountainman, in all probability, you have nothing to worry about, they get names and addresses all the time so they can send their fake cheques out.

You would just be one of thousands that they try to scam.

The best thing you can do is just ignore any further corresspondence from them, or send a very brief email telling them you know they are scammers, and to politely go do various sexual practises to themselves and a goat.

Carrying on with them is not advised as they do have your real life details, and if they did get annoyed the possibility is that an accomplice may arrive, slim though the chances are, we don't take unnecessary risks.

John DeLaney

#5020 by Crispy Duck Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:27 am
Hello & welcome, mountainman :)

Probably you would do best by sending him another email saying you've sold the guitar to someone else for CASH. He will most likely just move on to his next victim as there's no money in it for him.

You may start to get extra spam, scam emails etc but the likelihood of anyone getting to you at your address is remote, as all they are after is willing victims & easy ways to get money.

Perhaps if you post his email address here it could help warn others, as it will be googleable within a short time.

Thanks for posting your experience - it all adds to the education. :D

#5021 by Ralph Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:32 am
Hi and welcome Mountain Man,

I dont have much advice to give you that has not already been given but just incase you need some proof that it is a scam, take a look at This post on an unrelated site

If you ever have doubts in the future try doing a few google searches or come back and ask again.

An exact search on "I'm presently on a vacation but I can ask my assistant to prepare and mail out your payment" is how I found that post, a search on any phone numbers or email addresses is also a great way to find information

#5022 by mountainman Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:06 am
Thanks for the help guys. It is much appreciated. I will no longer correspond with the queer. Here is the email address and phone number he used:

[email protected]

425-749-0076

please report this guy or make it known. Thanks again.