Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#43289 by helpfulAnnie Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:54 am
I posted an item for sale on Craigs List and got this email from a scammer, it was the follow up to the first one-liner inquiry.

It seemed stinky so I shot back an email asking for a facebook or myspace so I'd know she was real. No response.

Thank you for posting warnings of scams like these.

I received an inquiry from Kim Williams "Hello, Thanks for the response... i just wanted to let you know that i am okay with this item and interested in buying it. I would pay you by sending you Bank Certified Check via FedEx next day air delivery and this is because i am currently away on a business contract. Also i will be adding $50 to the asking price if you sell to me and have it reserved pending delivery of payment to you
I would be responsible for the pick-up and the movers payment would be included in the check mailed to you in order to avoid delay and to enable the pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location as I have other properties to be moved alongside this item.
Please delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you.I will also wait for the check to clear before the pickup is done.If you do have more pictures, please send them to me so I can get a better look.If this is fine with you Please get back to me with the following so that the check can be mailed out to you.
1. Your Full name which the check would be issued out to.
2. Residential or Office Address where the check will be mailed to.
Also i am deaf so i cant communicate to you than via email as my tty and adsl have been sent out for updates.
Thanks and stay blessed, Kim Williams
Advertisement

#43291 by Bubbles Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 am
Welcome to ScamWarners helpfulAnnie, and thank you for posting this up. This kind of scammer sends a forged check to you for more than the amount, then asks you to return the overage to them by an online transfer service, like Western Union, or asks you to send the overage to the "shipper" or some other "person". This person is a helper to the scammer, either knowingly or unknowingly.

If the scenario played out the way the scammer plans it, you are out the cash that you sent, and you are accused of fraud and forgery.

We are glad that you found us and that you have posted this information for others to find.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.