Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#338432 by Bryon Williams Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Subject: Aw: Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark ii - Body Only - Silver
Hello,
I will explain in this email all terms and condition of product and transaction.
The Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark ii - Body Only - Silver is BRAND NEW, never used, ( UK model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
The total price is £400.00 including all shipping taxes if you are in UK and for international shipping you have to pay extra 9,99£ (outside UK) .
If you want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Dispatch is by normal DHL Services, which takes 1-3 days depending on where in the UK you are.
My return policy is full money back in 30 days.
For more information don't hesitate to contact us!
Thank You

Subject: Aw: RE: Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark ii - Body Only - Silver
Hi again,

I have great news for you about order.

I was informed by Amazon staff that they send you all the payment and
delivery information in one invoice. Search your inbox carefully and
also check your bulk/spam/junk folder because it might have arrived
there.

Please let me know asap if you get it, so we can make the next step!

Thank you and hope in the future you will order again or you can
recommend to your friends!

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#338674 by Jag Tatla Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 am
Thanks Bryon Williams,

I enquired about a Nikon D5500 with an 18-105 zoom at £440. I received the exact same replly as you show below, but with Nikon as the subject. Not only that, when I looked at their Amazon Storefront, they had a few hundred items, but everything I selected (approx a dozen items - lenses and cameras), everything was £400.

Beware indeed ! :yikes: :yikes:

There reply is below :

Hello,
I will explain in this email all terms and condition of product and transaction.
The Nikon D5500 18-105 / 3,5-5,6 AF-S DX G ED VR ( 24.78 MP,3.2 -inch LCD ) is BRAND NEW, never used, ( UK model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
The total price is £400.00 including all shipping taxes if you are in UK and for international shipping you have to pay extra 9,99£ (outside UK) .
If you want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Dispatch is by normal DHL Services, which takes 1-3 days depending on where in the UK you are.
Thank You
#338691 by L Leahy Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 am
I stupidly fell for it and just gave my mob number and address, what will happen now?? :(
Is there anything I should do? Or am I safe?

I had the exact email as well!

[email protected]
10:07 AM (5 hours ago)

to me
Hello,
The Monaco Large Rattan Sofa Set (Semi Circle) with Small Round Glass Table and + Cushions + Umbrella / Parasol + Dust Cover Garden Patio Conservatory Lounge Furniture (330 x 210 x 81 cm) Minimal Assembled is BRAND NEW, never used, ( UK model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
Thank You
#338816 by ick2017 Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 pm
Hi,
I almost fell for this same scam few days ago, but was fortunate enough to realise and stop payments. This was for a Reflecta Super 8 film scanner from Amazon, offered at £400.

The wording is the same as others have received.

My first mistake was to email the person directly and ask a question. This means he now had my email which he would use later on to send a fake but very convincing invoice with bank transfer information. I will never make the same mistake on Amazon or Ebay. So, by the time he replied, I had already found the answer to a question from another source and placed the order on Amazon with this seller.

This was his reply directly to my email address:

Hello,
The Reflecta Super 8 - film scanner is BRAND NEW, never used,
( UK model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us
list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with
full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
The total price is £400.00 including all shipping taxes if you are in
UK and for international shipping you have to pay extra 9,99£ (outside UK) .
If you want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping
address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order.
Dispatch is by normal DHL Services, which takes 1-3 days depending
on where in the UK you are.
Thank You

I did not give him my phone number, but stupidly gave him my home address.

So, I did not think much of it on that day except for feeling all excited, till the evening. I remembered that there is cheaper scanner on Amazon with the same name. So I raised a message for him on Amazon, asking to confirm exactly which scanner her was selling.

Well, I never got a reply.
So I emailed him on his personal email the next day in the morning.
No reply.

I than realised that something is not right.

I went onto Amazon and placed a cancellation on the order. - All I could do in this case was raise a cancellation message to the seller. (was told to give up to two days for the seller to respond)

A few hours later I receive an email from him:

Hi again,
I have great news for you about order.
I was informed by Amazon staff that they send you all the payment and
delivery information in one invoice. Search your inbox carefully and
also check your bulk/spam/junk folder because it might have arrived
there.
Please let me know asap if you get it, so we can make the next step!
Thank you and hope in the future you will order again or you can
recommend to your friends!

With this, came a 'very official looking order details and invoice' - It looked like it was from Amazon, but it was not.

It looked so good, that I took it for granted that this was from Amazon. It had all the Amazon logos, colours and correct layout. It was asking me to do a bank transfer to a bank in Poland, an Amazon international transfer to an Amazon branch. I must have read it all the way through about five times and I felt uncomfortable. It just did not add up. Please note this false invoice was from: [email protected]

Also, what got me very suspicious was he was not replying to any of my messages raised on Amazon.
I still had not realised that is invoice was not from Amazon, so I replied to this invoice with the following:

Dear Amazon Customer service,
I raised a couple of question for the seller, but he has not replied.
I also asked for this order to be cancelled, as the seller has not replied, I am not sure if this item is same as he has advertised.
I do NOT want the payment to go through.
Can you tell me what to do next?
Yours Sincerely,

So I soon received a reply with the same invoice, no reply to my questions, 'cut & paste' of the instructions from the same invoice on how to pay.

Very soon I also received a direct reply from the seller too telling the product was the one I was looking for.

So I rang Amazon, they confirmed that the email was not from them and started a cancellation process. I was told to wait for four days.
I rang my card company to stop the payment, but they said the money was already with Amazon.

This got me very worried, so I drafted a strong email with all the details and sent it to Amazon late last night. I got a reply about two in the morning to say that the order had been cancelled and no payment had gone through.

I checked online with my card company and the payment still says 'pending', I guess I will have to give it a few days for the 'pending' message to go.

Thanks to this site, I googled and found this information, which confirmed that I was on the right track.

I did an location / ip trace on the message, it appears that it is originating in Romania but connections in USA and Germany. I have a feeling this operation is run by a team.

I noticed that the seller is still on Amazon, selling multiple hi-tech goods all at £400, Amazon does not seem bothered about this. Who else can one inform?

One question: Should I leave a 'warning review' on Amazon? I am not sure if this would be sensible as although I would very much like to do this, they now have my email address and my home address.

Once again, I thank this site.
#338905 by PeacheaterUK Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:34 pm
There have been a spate of scam sellers on Amazon UK like this one, for the past 18months - 2 years.
They are relatively easy to spot:
#2 is the clincher!

1. The price is very low - it seems such a "not-to-be-missed" deal, almost "too good to be true".(today a £2700 gaming laptop for £400).
2. The seller asks you to contact them directly by email before buying (ie not via the Amazon messaging),
3. The description will claim that the item is unused ex-display (or "used for advertising only" but complete with warranty,
4. It may even be described as "used" but the seller text will say that is because of Amazon's rules, but it is unused but removed from the box.
5. Look at the seller's amazon storefront - there maybe a lot of items, but of a completely different type to the item you are attracted to (eg horse and riding related items, but the item you have seen is a high end camera or laptop)
6. Look at seller feedback - there might be a lot, but for a completely different type of product, or it is very old.

A little more explanation related to the above points:
1, 3: sellers (and physical shops) DO often offer ex-display models at a reduced price, but not usually at an "unbelievable, almost too good to be true" price.
2. Any seller asking you to contact them by email is breaking Amazon's rules. At the very least they are unethical, at worst they are a scammer. If you do contact them, you will probably be told that the Amazon shopping basket is not working today, but if you give them all your details they will raise an invoice via "amazon Payments" so that you can pay them. You will receive an invoice looking like something from Amazon but asking you to pay money directly to a bank account. If you do, you can NEVER recover your money or have a claim against anyone (and you will not receive your item).
5, 6: the scammer may have hacked a genuine seller's storefront and account, to set up their scam. You might see an excellent "seller rating" on the product page - but it is the real seller's rating, and unrelated to the scammer, of course.
#339053 by sidinho Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 am
Thanks guys for the thread here. I've had a similar experience with this seller.

I found it strange that I would have to send personal details over email to them, so I wanted to keep following up with them to understand how they work. I was looking at a Lenovo Yoga X1 they had for sale. Their price £400, RRP £2,600!!!

Emails are below.

Hello,
The Lenovo Yoga X1 i7-6600U, 14in (2560 x 1440) OLED Touch, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4G, is BRAND NEW, never used, ( UK model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
Thank You

... Then after I chased again to have photo's of the product I got this email.

Condition is a 10/10. Box Opened Only. All Manufacturer Supplied Accessories Included. Excellent Condition. Full manufacturer's warranty; Buy With Confidence

This deal will go through Amazon Platform and A to Z Guarantee Program.

To set up our transaction I need the follow info:
Full Name:
Shipping Address:
City / Postal Code:
Product:
Quantity:
Phone Number :

99% order ships out same day or next business day GUARANTEED! Customer Satisfaction GUARANTEED!

I will immediately send the required data, Amazon will contact you to order, details about payment and shipping. in maximum 5 days you will receive product.
Waiting your reply ASAP!

Everyone be warned about this seller ... and if anyone is able to report them to the proper authorities, please do!!!