Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#339452 by uhhhidk Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:35 pm
I had posted an ad for textbooks and within an hour had gotten a text from the number (405) 500-5394 that read "is your books on kijiji AD still up for sale? kindly get back to me with the price and condition of it via my email directly to ([email protected]) email me only. thanks" So I emailed and we had a short discussion in which he said he was from the Yukon and said that a courier service would collect the books for him, which was a decision he had made with his wife. He also made me delete the ads off of kijiji which really sucks because not I'm going to have to upload ads for all 15 textbooks again, but back to the topic at hand. He asked me for paypal information and I gave him the link to transfer me money and he said he would in a couple of hours. I got an email overnight supposedly confirming the paypal payment but it seemed a little fishy to me so I stopped responding to emails and made no attempt to follow through on the payment. Here is a copy of the fake email that was sent to me from "[email protected]" <[email protected]> (with my information removed)

You've got new funds!!! Powered by PayPal

You've got new funds!!!
Payments received -15- September 2017 This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $1,295.00 from Kent Tomson via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service.
Reversals : This method of payment can not be reversed.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
View the "NOTE" of this pending transaction below

Payment Details

Note:1 From Sender: I include my pick up agent fee Charges to the fund that i sent into your account, i add $600 but $560 will be sent to my Pick Up Agent via Western Union Transfer, The extra $40 is to cover the Western Union Money Transfer fee.
Note:2 To recipient:
I HAVE MADE THE PAYMENT TO YOU FOR THE (Kijiji item) AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR SELLING TO ME EMAIL ME ONCE YOU GET THE TRANSACTION COMPLETED.

Paid Invoice
Pay with VisaMastercardAmerican ExpressDiscoverPayPal
Summary of this Payment

Transaction ID: 4UN65923VN089111H.

Sent to My name
My email

Sent from Kent Tomson
[email protected]

Payment number 0013
Item Price $695.00 CAD

Pick-up & Delivery Fee

WESTERN UNION Transfer Fee

Total

Merchandise Title

Receiver Info:

Address Status:

$560.00 CAD

$40.00 CAD

$1,295.00 CAD

.Kijiji Item.

First Name: Cuicui
Surname: Yang
Address: Central North Fourth
City: Beijing
Zip Code: 100024
See full size image
Confirmed

To complete this Transaction you are required to send an upfront sum of $560.00 CAD meant for the Pick up fee to the Shipping Agent's Information given below via Western Union Money Transfer and get back to us with the Transaction Details which you will be provided with after the money has been sent, Inclusive of the MTCN [Money Transfer Control Number] , Sender's Name and Address used to process the transfer and the Receipt given to you. As soon as you provide these Information for Verification we will credit a Total Sum of $1,295.00 CAD to your PayPal account.

This payment was issued to your account through our online payment service and monitored by our fund verification team. Contact us through this email [email protected] if you have any inquiry regarding this transaction or any international transaction.

PayPal® will be responsible for any loss incurred during the course of this transaction. With more than 147 million accounts worldwide, we are the leading online payment method you can trust!
PayPal. The world's most-loved way to pay and get paid.

Thank you for using PayPal.

PayPal Email ID PP1557

To receive this payment, locate the nearest Western Union Office in your area Find Agent Location to proceed with the payment of the Pick-Up Agent Fee.

Questions Please Click Here to contact PayPal® Customer Service Department concerning this Transaction.

When that message went unanswered for a few minutes I was sent this from the same account (It even had an antifraud ad at the top of the email which to me is hilarious now that I know)
Dear My name
Transfer Current Percent% : 96% Done...
You have received an instant payment of ($1,295.00 CAD) from Kent Tomson ...

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction, please complete it soon!

As mentioned in the receipt of the Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount ($1,295.00 CAD) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees..

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account, you are to send $560.00 CAD to the shipping company through a Western Union Outlet , and notify our customer care service with a scanned copy of the Western Union receipt

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the shipping company's agent whom you are to send the funds to via Western Union Outlet .

Click Here Locate To Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company

Address:

First Name: Cuicui
Surname: Yang
Address: Central North Fourth
City: Beijing
Zip Code: 100024
See full size image

Address Status: Confirmed

https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=KZAL42RVE3MQS

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

You may Click or reply to this message directly using the reply button in your email to submit the required information or to contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department at [email protected] and include transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction.
Questions? Go to the Help Center at: [email protected]

Transfer is Pending ...To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, log in to your PayPal account and go to your Profile to update your settings.
Sincerely,
PayPal

PayPal Email ID PP15252.

I'm a college student who's honestly not well versed in adult matters but this seemed weird to me so I asked my mom to read it over for me and she said that it seemed like a scam. I still had not responded to any emails from the sender and today while I was in class I got a call from a number in Thunder Bay, but my phone was on do not disturb and I didn't get it. Later as I was on my way home I recieved a call from the same number and answered. The number, if you're wondering was 1 (807) 700 3467. Anyways, I answered the call and there was a man on the other end who said that he was Kent. He was very very pushy about making sure that the payment went through. Trying to tell me that he wanted the books to be picked up tomorrow (which was strange in and of itself since tomorrow is a Saturday and I'm pretty sure mail places don't operate on weekends).

He kept repeating over and over again that I had to transfer the money through Western union. He kept repeatedly giving me instructions and being like "Do you copy?" And when I say pushy I mean VERY PUSHY. At one point the conversation went: "I have been trying to contact you all day. I am a very busy person you know-" "I'm sorry. I was in class." "Oh? You're in class?" "Yes." "Can you do the transfer now?" "I am in class." "It won't take you long." "I would have to go to a Western Union location and to be frank with you I'm a college student and I do not have the type of money that you're asking for." "You will get the money." "I do not have the money for an upfront payment." "Do you have the $540 in cash on you now?" "No. I just said-" "Get the cash and take it to send." (Another shady fact is that the email said I was supposed to pay them $560 but the man seemed adamant that it was $540) I repeatedly tried to get off of the phone because I could barely hear him and do not want any part in the deal, but he kept me on the phone for 9 minutes repeatedly giving me the same instructions.

After I finally got off the phone and got home I decided to look into it further and that was when I noticed that the email didn't seem exactly right. I contacted paypal about the email and they did confirm that it was a scam attempt. I'm writing this to update everyone on the scam artists new information and because I did not see anyone else mention that they got a phone call from the scammer (and hopefully no one else will get a phone call from the scammer because it was very very uncomfortable.)

I've never posted on this site before so I don't know how to end this but well wishes and hopefully you don't fall as far deep into this as I accidentally did. I will no longer be answering anything from the scammer and am going to put my books back up for sale locally.
Advertisement

#339453 by Bryon Williams Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

The scammer sent you a fake Paypal payment. He has a fake Paypal address from a free email provider. The payment would look real. Its a screen shot of a fake payment.

Cars/furniture/horses and large items: He will make a fake over payment andl instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer will say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Log into Paypal directly without any links to check for monies received or call Paypal directly from the number on their site.

If you are selling electronics, Cell phones, jewelry or computers then the scammer is trying to steal your "item". Your fake funds will be released when you send the scammer a scan copy of a receipt showing you mailed your item.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

The best thing to do is to sell in person face to face in a public place.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/