Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#45964 by debsworld Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:41 am
I had listed a Nikon camera lens on craigslist and i got an email asking if i still had it, i replied giving my phone number so they could call but then got another email and if they bought it would i accept a payment thru moneygram. This is a copy of that email

Would you be willing to ship this item to Sayreville, NJ 08872,? can you email me your best price including the shipping cost via http://www.usps.com,how can i trust you??because moneygram would be my prefer method of payment,once you are okay with this then e-mail me back an i will need your name address city state zipcode.thanks,,,My Best Offer is 290 including the shipping..

On 2/4/11, this is me wrote:
> Yes it is still available. You can contact me at xxx-xxxx Thanx
> Debbie
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Teresa Bucker [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:16 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: SIGMA 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG ASPHERICAL - $250 (BOISE)
>
> ** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
> ** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
> ** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
> ** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html
>
> HI, I'm interested in buying this item, Let me know if you still have
> it
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
> this message was remailed to you via:
> [email protected]
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
Teresa Bucker
MAJOR IN US MARINE CORPS, 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit California,ENTERED SERVICE AT Victoria CA.DATE OF BIRTH: 04/14/1970.

Then tonite I got these emails

Hello,

did you got your payment notification from MoneyGram??? if not double check your bulk mail spam mail or spam.. i have made the payment,, once you have shipped out the item send the UPS OVERNIGHT SHIPPING TRACKING NUMBER TO MoneyGram email address...
here's my prefer shipping address again..

Name :ESHO RICHARD
Address :IMPEXWORLDWIDE INC,08060544753,4000 BORDENTOWN AVENUE UNIT 26
City :Sayreville
State :New Jersey
Zip Code:08872

i would be very glad if you could have the item shipped this morning using UPS OVERNIGHT OR FEDEX.. THANK YOU..
--
Teresa Bucker
MAJOR IN US MARINE CORPS, 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit California,ENTERED SERVICE AT Victoria CA.DATE OF BIRTH: 04/14/1970.

and this one...............

PAYMENT APPROVAL STATUS - Funds Available
AMOUNT - $290.99USD
Transaction ID #327916
===============================================================================================================
Dear (the seller),
Payee()The order placed by the buyer of your item(Teresa Bucker)to have an E-money Order(Money Gram)branded(SIGMA 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG ASPHERICAL.)has been successfully processed and has been APPROVED,we hereby request the shipment of the merchandise as we will have to verify shipment as payment was verified before we can release the REFERENCE NUMBER to you.
*FINANCIAL DETAILS*

Auction Site :Craiglist

Item :SIGMA 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG ASPHERICAL.

Quantity :1 UNIT.

Your Money OrderSM :[ Will be sent immediately after shipping confirmation ]

***PLEASE NOTE***
The Money OrderSM will be delivered to the address below, Please verify that the name and address (As entered by the buyer) are correct:

SELLER INFORMATION.
Name :
Address :
City :
State :
Zip Code:83709

E-MAIL :

SHIPPING INFORMATION:

Name :ESHO RICHARD
Address :IMPEXWORLDWIDE INC,08060544753,4000 BORDENTOWN AVENUE UNIT 26
Zip Code:08872

Kindly send the tracking number to the email address below when you ship to the address above. We have taken it as a responsibility to protect our customer against any hindrances during transaction.**SEND TRACKING NUMBER TO:[email protected] AND WE WILL DELIVER THE MONEY ORDER WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS AFTER WE HAVE THE TRACKING NUMBER CONFIRMED**.
***NOTE***
1.You must not give the buyer the shipment tracking number until you have your Money Order delivered to you in cash,then you can now Give him/her the tracking number,we are doing all these to protect both the buyer and the seller's from fraudulent activities.

***CUSTOMER SUPPORT***

[email protected]

This is the sample of the Money Order Check or Postal Order Check which MoneyGram will send to you to claim the payment made by the buyer and it will be delivered to you at your home address location after the shipment is being verified by our delivery agent [email protected].

BUYER'S SHIPPING OPTIONS :

YOU CAN USE ANY OF THESE COURIER COMPANIES FOR THE SHIPPING.
Auction site authorized register Use MoneyGram Express PaymentSM to pay for items on http://www.ebay.com , http://www.Amazon.com , http://www.CNet.com , http://www.MSNAuctions.com , http://www.YahooAuction.com , http://www.Trademe.co.nz and others. We hereby inform you that your funds are safe, secure and reliable with money gram so far you can view at the button the FBI Logo shows that the payment is the only authorized payment notification been APPROVED by FBI. Customer Service Center for all customer inquiries and transaction approvals is available from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (midnight) Central Time.
Sincerely,www.MoneyGram.com
MoneyGram International Team.

#45965 by debsworld Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:44 am
here's another email

Dear ,

Teresa Bucker. has requested that you provide current Tracking of his Item bought from you.

Enter your Tracking Numbers here and Carrier name:

===================================

===================================
We need to track and confirm the shipment before we can release your money order as Teresa Bucker.Requested.

We are doing this in order to protect both the buyer's and seller's at ebay and other auction sites because of the fraudulent activities that are common these days.

Due to high volume, there may be a delay in response to your email inquiry.
=======================================================================
You can also contact us at:
EmoneyGram®
P.O. Box 6244
Broomfield, CO 80021-00005 USA
[email protected]
Sincerely,
MoneyGram ® Emoney Transfer
#45966 by Michelle Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:06 am
Hello debsworld and welcome to Scamwarners.com.

This is a scam - Moneygram does not provide a deferred payment service (the e-mail from them is fake)

The scammer will have wanted you provide a tracking number to show that you had dispatched the item, and once the package was out of your control you would soon find that your expected payment would not arrive, or would be in the form of a fake cheque or money order.

#45972 by jolly_roger Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:09 am
Hi debsworld, I have another observation.
The financier.com domain is one that's typically associated with e-mail fraud.
It also appears two companies are at the unit 26 address. Strangely, both companies share the same phone number.
One is an African equipment leasing company and the other appears to be a Computer/software company.
#46667 by kcuestag Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:14 pm
Just registered on this website, I'm new here! :lol:

Thank god debsworld made this thread.

I was about to sell my PS3 to this guy/girl or whatever it is, and he/she wanted my Paypal email address.

I was shocked because I had listed my PS3 at a local website for people living here only, and I was impressed he/she wanted my PS3 to be shipped to the US, from Germany O_o

So I started investigating on google and found this.

So yeah, thanks a lot for making this thread, you probably saved my ass!
#47985 by mrbear78 Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 am
OMG I just received an e-mail from TERESA BUCKER in response to an ad I posted on Craigslist. I posted my AD in Springfield Virginia. Teresa Bucker wanted me to ship my item to Colorado after she would pay me by MoneyGram. I replied back informing her that I would only do PayPal transactions. She wrote back trying to convince me that MoneyGrams are safe and that the 3 years she has been using them, she has not had a single problem or complaint. THIS HAS SCAM WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!! I feel sorry for those who don't catch on to the "BS" right away. I have cut and pasted my e-mails below.

Lastly at the bottom of her e-mail's she has some bogus information:
Teresa Bucker
MAJOR IN US MARINE CORPS, 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit
California,ENTERED SERVICE AT Victoria CA.DATE OF BIRTH: 04/14/1970.

Major BS!

Here are the e-mails:
Would you be willing to ship this item to Denver Colorado 80204,? can
you email me your best price including the shipping cost via
www.UPS.com,how can i trust you??because moneygram would be my
prefer method of payment,once you are okay with this then e-mail me
back an i will need your name address city state zipcode.My Best Offer
is 490 including the shipping..

--
Teresa Bucker
MAJOR IN US MARINE CORPS, 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit
California,ENTERED SERVICE AT Victoria CA.DATE OF BIRTH: 04/14/1970.

ME- I would be willing to ship if you are willing to pay through Pay Pal.

Teresa Bucker
thanks you for replying back to my message,we have been using
Moneygram for over 3 years an never heard any problem with them and i
have never receive any complaining from
my sellers or buyers
sellers Moneygram also as a way they protect both buyers and sellers
once you have a payment from Customer you will notify immediately and
the confirmation would be send to your email,you dont have to go
anywhere to received your cash i will only need all this information
to make the payment your name address city state zipcode that is all i
will need to make the payment .your cash would be delivered to your
home address in cash....
#47994 by GomerPyle Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:47 am
Very interesting debsworld.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's had dealings with Teresa Bucker or the company mentioned by debsworld.

I'm doing some research on them. :wink:

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#47998 by kcuestag Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:05 am
I also got contacted by this "Teresa Bucker" to buy my PS3.

You know what was the funniest thing? I am not based in the US, I live in Germany... And she wanted me to ship the PS3 to the US, yeah right... :laugh-s:

And my dad is in the Air Force of Europe, currently in the Ramstein american Air Base, so I've asked him to ask around see if his american friend could find some info, looks like he/she does not exists :beer:
#48003 by GomerPyle Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 am
Let's presume that the name 'Teresa Bucker' just happens to be the current name that's being used at present and it could be changed to anything in the future.

The address

4000 BORDENTOWN AVENUE UNIT 26

.....certainly exists and I would urge caution on anyone intending to send any goods there.

I'm still compiling information.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
#48005 by kcuestag Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:51 am
I'm not in the US, so I can't be that helpful to you guys, but can't we take legal actions against him/her if we have the address?

Maybe we could call that house and ask if it's Teresa Bucker?
#48009 by GomerPyle Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:57 am
Okay - I've got it.

It's not always the same address. It looks as if a person who handles stolen card details and counterfeit cheques, orders goods and asks for them to be posted to a fake company name, but at a real company address where I presume they have an associate working in the mail room who can pick up the goods and no one notices it's gone missing. Because the company name is wrong it's easy to spot the package, and maybe he's the one tasked to handle mis-sorted mail.

One company looks very shady but the other two probably just have associates in the mail room who will pick up goods for them. This scam's been operating a long time and the scammer keeps using the same phone number which is how I've been able to track what he's been doing.

The moral being - double check that the company exists and that it's at the mailing address you've been supplied with.

#48050 by mrbear78 Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:46 am
I have been thinking about doing something crazy. I have been thinking about scamming the scammer. For example. Posting up something for sale on Craigslist to lure in scammers. Of course genuine responders to the posting would be turned away, but obvious scammers I would want to "see how deep the rabbit hole" goes. The whole part where the scam artist would want a tracking number of the item being shipped could easily be a certified letter with a tracking number. Of course the letter would contain a few choice words or instead of a letter a box filled with dog crap. Anyways I know this is silly but the scams people try to pull these days are even sillier. What do you all think?
#48063 by Bubbles Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 am
We do NOT recommend doing this.

It clogs us the Craig's List system and it is in many cases illegal. You would be spending your money to do what? Hww would you determine which responders are scammers? The things you are proposing would not stop a scammer from continuing to scam. Sending dog crap (as you call it) is illegal and if discovered you could be arrested for sending a biohazardous material through a carrier.

I get your intention, it is misdirected, and do NOT do it!

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#48076 by David Jansen Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:55 am
As Bubbles said, it is best not to do this for the reasons he mentioned. Why would you spend money and effort to do what? Getting yourself in trouble? It is far better to warn others for this scam. When everybody knew all about scams, then nobody would get scammed. Education is our best weapon in our fight against scammers.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.