Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#163345 by Rebellie Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 am
Tanieria Sanders
4:01 AM (6 hours ago)

to me
Hello,
Please Check your paypal email inbox/junk for payment notification, I paid £160.00 via PayPal. I want it sent to my daughter schooling over there, I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address in United Kingdom, but am going for a business trip to Spain today by 5:55 am departure time, here is the delivering address of my daughters Guidance.
Ubah Daniel
28 Amore street,
Ikeja,
Lagos,23401
Nigeria.
I want you to ship the item today to Lagos via FIRST CLASS ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR so that the item will get there as soon as possible, and I've added you 30pounds for the postage cost to lagos.
NOTE: Please wrap the item carefully, write GIFT on the paper. Please don't use any other postage service except ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience i may cause you.
Thanks.
Advertisement

#163362 by Bryon Williams Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:55 am
Welcome to Scamwarners Rebellie.

Please post the email address the scammer used. This will help others when they search the internet.

Thank you for posting the script that the scammer used.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#163706 by triedtoscamus5 Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 pm
SCAMMER: Hi,
> I am very interested ,what is your final price ,please reply with your
> alternative email address for a better communication.
> Louis XXXXXXX

On 4/25/13,WE WROTE craigslist 3766366619 <[email protected]> wrote:
Good Evening. We have a phone number listed in the ad if you call after 5PM we can discuss
> the bike. It is a really nice bike I had it custom built. It has a VIN # so
> it makes it easier to insure and easier to register. (not a special
> construction title) Price is somewhat nego.
> Thank you

SCAMMER: Original Message ----- Hi, You should consider it sold .Actually ,I am buying it for
someone and payment would be through PayPal . I am working in a ship
and presently, i am out to sea.So it is a pick up agent that would be
coming for the pick up.So i would like you to forward your Paypal
email add. and name with more pictures .

WE WROTE: Dear Louis,
You or someone should call after 5PM to discuss this purchase as it is listed as cash. In ad it states about notary & title will not be signed unless it is in front of a notary. Are you in the Navy located where? No need to TF money through Paypal it will not go credit We do not have a account. We can forward more pic with a address provided.
Thank you

SCAMMER: let me know if you still have it for sale and email me with your email ads to [email protected] or send your email id to write you for question ,also let me know the firm price

WE WROTE Dear Mr. XXXXXXX:
If you pull up google and put in Louis XXXXXX or Frank hundreds of pages come up...NICE TRY we will be blocking you and turning all information over to the proper people. Do not contact us VIA EMAIL OR PHONE about said item. The authories and attorney generals love to hear things like this.

NO RESPONSE Guess he did not have cash to buy bike HAHHAHAHAHA.....

BEWARE OF THIS EMAIL.....Scamming for paypal acct numbers....Contacted craigslist to block and other sites..
#163717 by TerranceBoyce Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm
The scammer's sea shanty :=)

I am working in a ship and presently, i am out to sea.

He really means he's 'out to lunch'.

Other variations are that they're on an oil rig, up a mountain or gone camping. The intention being to explain why they can't visit you or contact you by phone, in spite of the fact that they clearly have a perfect internet connection. Scammers share scripts and some of them can appear normal if they stick to the internet but the minute you speak to them or find a method to confirm their true location the spell is broken.

Apart from the 'gone sea-faring' excuse, scammers always ignore what you say, as he did with you, because buying the bike is irrelevant and he can only scam you if he sticks to doing things his way.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#163725 by JFK76 Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:02 pm
[email protected]

I'm buying it for my Dad as a birthday gift and I'm okay with the price but due to my occupation as a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore, sometimes access to regular email are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of the immarsat service. Fortunately the Internet access working averagely lately and i was able to come across the advert. I will be paying you by Paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have Internet banking but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it. Kindly get back to me with your Paypal name and email address or you can send me an invoice from Paypal so that i can make the payment as soon as possible. Notice you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment, My pick-up agent will arrange for the shipping once you confirm the payment from me. They will also determine and secure the shipment, Hope to read from you soon.
#163727 by Bryon Williams Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:19 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners JFK76,

100% Scam.

In this scam the scammer does not want what you are selling. He wants to steal your money.

He will send you a fake email pretending to be from Paypal. It may appear to be real but it is a fake sent from a free email account the scammer has set up. He will tell you that he has made an over payment and wants you to pay the shipper / agent or his mover. In reality he has not sent any money through Paypal. He will also tell you that Paypal will release your money after you verify that you sent a third party money through Western Union or Money Gram.

Paypal would never hold your funds. The only way to be sure that were paid through Paypal is to log in directly with out any links provided.

If you send money through Western Union or Money Gram you will never see that money again. Plus, you will still have whatever you are selling.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#168599 by beanmahan Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm
John Beller texted me from a CT phone number, 203.936.8758 to say he wants to buy an item I have listed for sale. Suspicious b/c I am in reno, nv and his phone is a CT number. When I asked him for a name and address, he replied, "john beller, 168 Hill Street, Commerce, GA 30529." I looked up the address online and
it belongs to a marie williams. I called her home number; she has never heard of john beller. How do these guys get busted?
#168645 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 am
Welcome to Scamwarners beanmahan.

Most times they don't get busted beanmahan largely because they're located abroad, often in countries where law enforcement doesn't work effectively, and they're working anonymously behind fake details.

Our aim is to warn potential victims and make the scammers' activities well known so that they wither and die because people don't fall for their scams any more.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#173209 by cvrinv Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 am
I understand this an older thread, but I'd like to post this for more recent victims.

I was trying to sell a promise ring via craigslist (desperate times call for desperate measures).
I really needed to sell this ring asap and this contacted me via phone - to make it seem more legit :x
I let it play out a bit so that I could do a little more research as well.

Jim Jack ( [email protected] ) - uses customer alert funds.
TEXTING VIA VIRGINIA AREA CODE: 571-969-7558
Address is in Nigeria.

Need I say more?

Be safe everyone, these people will do what they can.

xx
#174404 by Mrsd83 Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:50 am
Thank you for this post! I almost fell victim to this scam but something didnt feel right.
Got a new one to add to the list and he called me and everything.
Some scary stuff i tell ya!

Name: Ezike Emmanuel
Address: 37, onasanya street
City: Eligbo
Zip/Postal code: 23401

Phone number used to send text:1-405-237-5809
Phone number used to call:1-312-834-7745
#180966 by angelah_wolfe Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:56 pm
Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions - received a similar text message from a 601 area code saying they'd put a certified cheque and send via USPS mail. Problem is, area code is in Mississippi and I'm in Western Canada - pretty dumb. I'm glad now I didn't include my email address anywhere!
#180968 by Bryon Williams Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:02 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners angelah_wolfe,

Please post the phone number they used to text you. This will help others avoid their scam attempts.

You may still receive the fake check. If you do just refuse delivery or rip the check up and trash it.

#190570 by KLynn13 Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:03 pm
I too was contacted by Mrs christiana tudor <[email protected]>; for a laptop I posted on Craigslist a couple of days ago. My asking price was $350 but she offered $400 to close out any other offers I had.

She writes;
I really appreciate your reply, Since you've assured me everything works perfectly, I'll be paying $400 just to close all other offers for it...I hope this mail gets to you anyway...I will like you to get back to me with your e-mail address at least because am facing a lot of difficulties sending you messages to the craigslist email so lets get on with this asap.
Thanks
Dr. Christiana Tudor.

I gave her an email that did not include my name, and is a email I don't use as my personal account, it is a old email that is only full of spam.

She sends to the new email
Thanks for getting back to me, i am located in commerce city in MI,I am a full-time gynecologist and i really need to buy this and send to my son Akin Tudor schooling outside the state as a Gift but i hope it's in a good condition as you have said. I will be paying cash through PAYPAL upfront because I have a verified account with PayPal.com since it's a safe way to exchange funds....Once payment clears,shipment will be handled by me through my personal FedEx account,so you don't have to pay for shipping. I am using paypal cos The last time I made a cash transaction, my money was stolen from me by the sellers so bear with me on this.. Kindly get back with your PayPal email address so i can make payment into your PayPal account but if you don't have one you can log to paypal at http://www.paypal.com and easily set up your own personal account since it's free..Get back to me if my approval is granted.
I want your honesty in return to my faithfulness to you during this transaction...
My offer of $400 still stands...
You may send more pictures of it please.
Thanks.
Dr. Christiana Tudor.

Something didn't feel right and I plugged her name and email into google and got this thread and another account of scam.

BEWARE! And thank you for posting your stories in here so I wouldn't fall victim!
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations.
#190572 by Bryon Williams Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:16 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners KLynn13,

Thank you for updating this thread. If you have further questions please ask. It is best to keep all communication within Craigslist mail system. You will want to sell your "item" face to face in a public place.