Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#49838 by justme69 Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 am
My hubby had three emails with this guy concerning his motorcycle he's advertising for sale from Craigslist. When I looked at the emails, I couldn't believe he almost fell for this guys scam. Here's the story he gave my husband, 3/26/11

Hi,
I am selling this 2004 Honda Gold Wing because my unit has been sent back to Afghanistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it in one week. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident.I do have the title , clear, under my name.The bike has 31,366 miles, year 2004.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,900. The bike is in Great Falls, MT, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
Thank you,
Alexander Davis

When asked for details, his reply was:

Hi,
As I've told you at this moment I am in in Great Falls, MT in a military base getting ready for Afghanistan. This means that I do a special training program and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want.The shipping won't be a problem because I can do it at no cost for you. You will receive the vehicle along with all the documents including title, bill of sale, full service records and more .Because it is a large transaction we will complete the deal only using an authorized third party like eBay, using their Business Purchase Protection Program.The payment will be handling by eBay and you will benefit of 5 days inspection time period (test drive) and the option to accept or reject the vehicle on my expense. If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info and they will notify you about our deal.
Thanks,
Alexander Davis

I got on my hubby's email, and asked the following, in which we haven't heard from him since.
If you are not allowed off the base, how will you be shipping the "vehicle"?

Further research has led me to find the following:

(Current ad on Craigslist, (dated 3/26/11) different location)
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/2287170489.html
[b]2004 Gold Wing GL18T4 - $2900 (Springfield)
I am the original owner of this Titanium 2004 Gold Wing.It is in better than new condition.New tires and battery were added in November 2008.This M/C has been serviced exclusively with AMSOIL synthetic lubricants and has always been garage maintained.

06/21/2009 Craigslist
2004 Honda Gold Wing GL18T4 A GOLFER'S DREAM, MANY EXTRAS - $36000 (Los Angeles)
Reply to: [email protected]

Craigslist
Nov 2010
2004 Gold Wing GL18T4 - $4900 (Montgomery) in Montgomery, Alabama For Sale

Craigslist
Nov 2010
2004 Honda Gold Wing GL18T4 MANY EXTRAS - $4900 (Greensboro) in Greensboro, North Carolina For Sale

7/28/09

I am selling this 2004 Honda Gold Wing because my platoon has been sent back to Afghanistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before Aug 4th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident.I do have the title , clear, under my name.The bike has 31,366 miles, year 2004.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,900. The bike is in Great Falls, MT, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
Thank you,
Daniel Wilson
[email protected]

Looks like he tried this with a "Ranger" before the bike
Jun 27, 2009

I am selling this Ranger because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before July 5th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident.I do have the title , clear, under my name. The Ranger has 674 miles, year 2007.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,900. The Ranger is in Great Falls, MT, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
Thank you,
Alex Stam

Have also found his 2004 Honda Goldwing on internet cycle ads
Advertisement

#49917 by Bubbles Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 am
Thank you for posting this information up showing the scripts scammers use justme69. If you exchanged emails with the first scammer it will help others if you post the email address he used and the Headers.

We are glad you took the time to post these. :D

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#108192 by bgiesler Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm
Due to the recent economic conditions the poor bastard has been forced to reduce his asking price to $2300 and I will have you know he has had gender re assignment surgery and is going by Rita Preston, using the email address [email protected]. Since he got back from Afghanistan his / her son was killed and she just can not stand to look at the bike. Or Possibly her son was killed in Afghanistan. I have told her I am going to the bank tomorrow. She is awaiting my email with the MTCN Code, really considering sending her $.25, Also gave me a fax number I can fax the Western Union receipt to, 1-888-802-1391, that is their Center Fax #
#108194 by Bryon Williams Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:32 pm
Hello bgiesler,

I am glad you were able to see it as a scam.

Its not safe for you to play with or bait these criminals with any of your personal information. Please do not send the Western Union .25¢. Scammers will use this for their advantage.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/