Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#49895 by GatorGirl Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm
Some warning signals:
Urgency
Mover/Shipper will pick up instead of buyer
Check/Cashier's Check instead of cash.
Won't send a check to a PO Box.

I listed three items of furniture on Craigslist--two were from my daughter's room and one very different item. I had a response that the individual wanted all three which was a bit strange to begin with, he asked that I delist the items immediately and consider them sold and he'd mail me a check and make arrangements for the mover to pick them up but time was of the essence.

Ding, ding, ding!

I sent him a PO Box number to mail the check but he refused to use it--afraid of mail fraud charges? I told him it might be several weeks before I could be sure the check had cleared before I gave him the location of the items but if he wanted to send his mover with the cash he could have the items more quickly. No go. I mean, who couldn't cash a check him/herself and give the cash to the person picking up the items?

Anyway, once I stipulated that the check must be mailed and 3-4 weeks would go by before I could verify the validity of the check, he disappeared! Just a head's up. It wasn't for more than the asking price or by Western Union or Pay Pal but I'm convinced it was a fraud attempt so I wanted to let you all know.
Advertisement

#49920 by Bubbles Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:20 am
Welcome to ScamWarners GatorGirl! You have posted some good information.

The scammer didn't want to wait on the check to clear because he know it wouldn't.

I am glad that you delayed the scammer. We are pleased you joined.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.