Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#50035 by telly Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:04 am
Im tryin to sell my sony ericsson cell phone i got and i got a message from this guy wich i thought was a little werid but i might just be 2 nervouse trying to sell stuff online, i would love if you guys can help me! :D i put his msgs in red so u can see wich ones are his, here are the msgs he sent me.

he used this email and this name for ppl to be aware of!! handy larry kijiji1985@gmail

Hello,
i will like to no know if the item you posted is real and i will alsolike to know if you the original owner and a serious seller too,if yesdo mail me back.

So i sent him a msg back sayin yes this item is real and i am the original owner. He then sent me this msg.

am so much okay with your asking price, but this my first time oftransacting online, and am aware of the ongoing scam on craiglist, soi will prefer using paypal to transact although this the first time iwill be using paypal too but i will prefer using it, but first i willlike to know if the phone do come with the original charger and thereal packaging. waiting to read back from you soonest.

So i sent a msg back sayin yes the phone comes with charger and the real packaging, i said i dont have a paypal account so i dont know how to use it, and i asked him if he lives in kelowna or near by and can meet me instead, he then sent me.

i stay in the uk that the reason why am using paypal. best regards

so i dono if im just being to scared or what????? :| is this a scam?? plz help thanks !
Last edited by telly on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#50036 by John DeLaney Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 am
It's a scam, ignore and delete any further correspondence from him
The things to take notice of

1/ He used *the item* in his initial email, standard scammer, they email to everyone, and don't or can't be bothered putting what it actually is

2/ He's offered PayPal, you'll probably get an email full of the advantages of using PayPal secure, which doesn't exist, except on a scammers made up website

3/ For someone in England, his english comprehension is abysmal, and his syntax and grammar are wrong.

Next will be an overpayment to cover shipping, which he will want you to forward to the *shipping Company*

Good luck with selling your phone, but deal locally, and in cash person to person

John DeLaney
#50113 by Bubbles Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners telly John has given you some fantastic advice. The scammer does not want to meet you because he doesn't want your phone. He wants you to think he will buy it, but is just trying to get money from you.

It will help others if you will post the name and the email address this scammer used when contacting you.

Having the Headers is helpful too. An important part of what we do here is provide information that other potential or active victims can find through an online search.

Thank you for being part of what we do here. :D

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#50138 by telly Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 am
telly wrote:Im tryin to sell my sony ericsson cell phone i got and i got a message from this guy wich i thought was a little werid but i might just be 2 nervouse trying to sell stuff online, i would love if you guys can help me! :D i put his msgs in red so u can see wich ones are his, here are the msgs he sent me.

he used this email and this name for ppl to be aware of!! handy larry kijiji1985@gmail

Hello,
i will like to no know if the item you posted is real and i will alsolike to know if you the original owner and a serious seller too,if yesdo mail me back.

So i sent him a msg back sayin yes this item is real and i am the original owner. He then sent me this msg.

am so much okay with your asking price, but this my first time oftransacting online, and am aware of the ongoing scam on craiglist, soi will prefer using paypal to transact although this the first time iwill be using paypal too but i will prefer using it, but first i willlike to know if the phone do come with the original charger and thereal packaging. waiting to read back from you soonest.

So i sent a msg back sayin yes the phone comes with charger and the real packaging, i said i dont have a paypal account so i dont know how to use it, and i asked him if he lives in kelowna or near by and can meet me instead, he then sent me.

i stay in the uk that the reason why am using paypal. best regards

so i dono if im just being to scared or what????? :| is this a scam?? plz help thanks !

Thanks soo much for the help you guys!! :=) :D