Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#385453 by AlanJones Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Hello XXX,
I am the seller of the 2008 Volkswagen T5 Transporter campervan with awning included. I am very glad that you are interested to buy my motorhome.Actual asking price is £5,300.Current mileage is 123,000. MOT valid until 20 January 2020.
The motorhome is still there, I have the V5 document present in my name, current MOT certificate and a full service history.
See all pictures attached.
Regards,

Barry John Richards

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
Advertisement

#385454 by AlanJones Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi,
Would it not be possible to email me, I have given my number only to be inundated with text messages and phone calls. Since I am in the Isle of Man there are only 2 ways to do this sale:

* The first option is to use a transport company that deals with the transaction, van and the money as escrow. I travel for my work and I do not have time to bring the van and I think your free time is limited too, so this is the perfect way to make things easier, fast and safe for both of us. I will pay the company, so you will not pay extra money then the van price. You will get the van to your home address, and you can check the van before making the final decision. I think this is the perfect way for us.

* The second option is by using PayPal pay after delivery service: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/p ... very-terms

Please let me know how you want to continue with this transaction and I will provide more details.
Regards,

Barry John Richards

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#386542 by Binkerton Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 pm
I got some emails from this guy regarding a Mitsubishi Outlander. See texts below.

On 21/05/2019 23:41, Barry Richards wrote:
> Hi,
> It has to go due to lack of use, there are no hidden issues. No damage history. Since I am in the Isle of Man there are only 2 ways to do this sale:
>
> * The first option is to use a transport company that deals with the transaction, vehicle and the money as escrow. I travel for my work and I do not have time to bring the vehicle and I think your free time is limited too, so this is the perfect way to make things easier, fast and safe for both of us. I will pay the company, so you will not pay extra money then the vehicle price. You will get the vehicle to your home address, and you can check the vehicle before making the final decision. I think this is the perfect way for us.
>
> * The second option is by using PayPal pay after delivery service: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/p ... very-terms
>
> Please let me know how you want to continue with this transaction and I will provide more details.
> Regards,
> Barry John Richards

and

On 21/05/2019 23:21, Barry Richards wrote:
> Hello,
> I am the seller of the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlender. I am very glad that you are interested to buy my car. Actual asking price is ??8100.
> The car is still there, I have the V5 document present in my name, current MOT certificate and a full service history. Current mileage is 33500.
> See all pictures attached.
> Regards,
> Barry John Richards
#386950 by Bethany21 Wed May 29, 2019 6:48 am
We have just been scammed by this guy too. His e-mails are word for word perfect with our e-mails from him only he scammed us over a campervan shipping it over from the isle of man... delivery was supposed to be arriving yesterday... guess what? Yeah you guessed... no campervan have informed E-bay paypal bank police hope they catch up with him soon
#387248 by Andrew Ranfurly Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:42 am
Hi. I just joined this forum to post that old Barry from the Isle of Scam is still at it on ebay.
He's selling a lovely motorhome for about £20k under it's value:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Swift-K ... 2305020465
Of course this is eye-catching. He is very proactive because when I pointed out his van didn't have an MOT (from the UK Govt website checker) he told me it had all been fixed.
He then started all the IOM, paypal, escrow scam speil.
His ebay name is now 'timesq74' with zero feedback but, as I will be reporting him to ebay, that may disappear.
The con is quite credible as the English and grammar is pretty good.
When I told him I was in the Isle of Man for the TT racing and could I come and see the motorhome he chose to ignore me!
He now uses the email address: [email protected]
"Hi,
I recently moved and forgot to change my location. Currently in the Isle of Man, I am offering free shipping. We can do everything through the transport company, uShip, they are taking care of everything and they can arrange a delivery to your address. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £12,000 with the delivery charges included. If you decide to buy the motorhome let me know, as I have a lot of people inquiring about and send me an e-mail with your full details (Full name, Address, Phone number). As soon as I have your details I will pass them to the shipping company and they will start the procedures. Next step they will get in touch with you and send you an invoice for the motorhome, the tracking number to check the status of the delivery at any time and all the rest of the transaction details. After you've received the invoice you'll need to make the payment by bank transfer to the transport company (NOT to me) and they will hold the money into their bank account until you receive, inspect and agreed to keep the motorhome. For the buyer's peace of mind I've also added a 5 DAYS REFUND POLICY so if you won't like the motorhome, you'll receive a full refund, no fees or taxes deducted. If the motorhome is not as described, the transport company will transfer the money back into your bank account. If you decide to keep the motorhome after the 5 days inspection period, you will need to sign the owner transfer papers and only then I will get the money from the transport company.
Regards,
Barry John Richards"
#391564 by ol1000 Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:36 am
JUST HAD THE SAME EMAIL FOR A CARAVAN. HE JUST SENT THIS UPDATE AS WELL. WORK FOR WORD THE SAME AS OTHERS

AVOID AND REPORT

Hi,
I recently moved and forgot to change my location. Currently in the Isle of Man, I am offering free shipping. We can do everything through the transport company, uShip, they are taking care of everything and they can arrange a delivery to your address. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £8,500 with the delivery charges included. If you decide to buy the caravan let me know, as I have a lot of people inquiring about and send me an e-mail with your full details (Full name, Address, Phone number). As soon as I have your details I will pass them to the shipping company and they will start the procedures. Next step they will get in touch with you and send you an invoice for the caravan, the tracking number to check the status of the delivery at any time and all the rest of the transaction details. After you've received the invoice you'll need to make the payment by bank transfer to the transport company (NOT to me) and they will hold the money into their bank account until you receive, inspect and agreed to keep the caravan. For the buyer's peace of mind I've also added a 5 DAYS REFUND POLICY so if you won't like the caravan, you'll receive a full refund, no fees or taxes deducted. If the caravan is not as described, the transport company will transfer the money back into your bank account. If you decide to keep the caravan after the 5 days inspection period, you will need to sign the owner transfer papers and only then I will get the money from the transport company.
Regards,
Barry John Richards
#393015 by Diggler68 Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 am
He's still got the outlander on ebay but its under the username jotur6157, When you contact him through ebay he replies saying its his dads car and to contact via email.
#409394 by lolofr Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 pm
Hi Guys,
He is still active, calling himself Frederick welsh, tried to sell us a van with the exact same email... found it dodgy and found out that's a scam... see emails below for reference !

"
We can do everything through the transport company using Shiply, they will take care of everything and arrange the delivery to your address. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £4,650 with the delivery charges included. If you decide to buy the van let me know, as I have a lot of people inquiring about and send me an email with your full details (Full name, Address, Phone number). As soon as I have your details I will pass them to the shipping company and they will start the procedures. Next step they will get in touch with you and send you an invoice for the van, the tracking number to check the status of the delivery at any time and all the rest of the transaction details. After you've received the invoice you'll need to make the payment by bank transfer to the transport company (NOT to me) and they will hold the money into their bank account until you receive, inspect and agree to keep the van. For the buyer's peace of mind I've also added a 5 DAYS REFUND POLICY so if you won't like the van, you'll receive a full refund, no fees or taxes deducted. If the van is not as described, the transport company will transfer the money back into your bank account. If you decide to keep the van after the 5 days inspection period, you will need to sign the owner transfer papers and only then I will get the money from the transport company.
Regards,

Frederick Welsh
"
and
"
Hello,
Traveling is forbidden but the routes for transport are open and available during this covid-19 emergency situation. There are only 2 ways to do this sale:

* The first option is to use a transport company that deals with the transaction, van and money as escrow. I travel for my work and I do not have time to bring the van and I think your free time is limited too, so this is the perfect way to make things easier, fast and safe for both of us. I will pay the company, so you will not pay extra money then the van price. You will get the van to your home address, and you can check the van before making the final decision. I think this is the perfect way for us.

* The second option is by using PayPal pay after delivery service: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/p ... very-terms

Please let me know how you want to continue with this transaction and I will provide more details.
Regards,

Frederick Welsh
"
#409632 by usher12 Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 pm
Yep - still active, this time as Timothy Paul Peake - [email protected]
VW Autosleeper £6,500 on Ebay (seller - mira-blade). Wording identical to the others, except no mention of the Isle Of Man - I brought up the lockdown so he didn't need to!
Interestingly though, the price was bang on what the HPI report I got said, and the pictures and all my checks all matched. What got me was the odd wording of the emails, and this site. Thank you - saved me parting with my money. We will wait for the end of lockdown and go see the campervan with V5 in person!!
Cheers
Sam
#409766 by Scotlandking Tue May 05, 2020 1:40 pm
Think this is the same guy he’s selling a Campervan Bessacarr E745 FL02XSV I’ve emailed and asked questions but they weren’t answered I received the following email instead..... I then looked it up and seen your post. Some folk have a nerve!!
Traveling is forbidden but the routes for transport are open and available during this covid-19 emergency situation. There are only 2 ways to do this sale:

* The first option is to use a transport company that deals with the transaction, motorhome and money as escrow. I travel for my work and I do not have time to bring the motorhome and I think your free time is limited too, so this is the perfect way to make things easier, fast and safe for both of us. I will pay the company, so you will not pay extra money then the motorhome price. You will get the motorhome to your home address, and you can check the motorhome before making the final decision. I think this is the perfect way for us.

* The second option is by using PayPal pay after delivery service: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pay-after-delivery-terms

Regards,

Keith Miller