Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#54075 by momoz Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 am
Hi all,

I just hopped onto Craigslist to sell a phone. What I thought would be an easy process turned out to be a pain because the highest and fastest bidders were the types of scammers you all have posted about (mine specifically were: [email protected] and [email protected]).

Anyway, I went as far as to send one of them an invoice (knowing they were a scammer) for the reason of testing out a program I use called "Iconix". It's essentially a program you download (it worked with older versions of Firefox, but hasn't been working on 4.0... though I have IE installed and it works perfectly) and it scans and identifies e-mails. It will show a check mark or "official" icon (usually a logo- example "paypal" or the paypal "p) next to verified e-mails.

You might want to consider downloading it if you're unsure if someone is a scammer because sure enough when I was sent two "Paypal" e-mails from my scammer, the icon didn't come up. And after further investigation, the e-mail included a line about the payment will be transferred after the shipping number had been given.

Here's the link, it shows on the main page without versus with Iconix and the download is the green button. Hope this helps someone.

http://www.iconix.com/index.php
Advertisement

#54188 by Michael Wed May 25, 2011 9:03 am
I see that Iconix is a member of the Anti Phishing Work Group so I don't really have doubts whether they mean well, but as I have no experience with it I can't tell how good or bad it is.

Good or bad - A completely waterproof system still has to be invented. It's always dangerous to put your full trust in programs. In the end it's always the user that should think for itself and look out for the warning signs. Using and trusting this program is completely at your own risk - we won't vouch for it.

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored