Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#56107 by Sineater Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 pm
First off I'm new to this forum, so hello and i hope I've posted this in the right place :)

After looking at a car on Gumtree today i started to get suspicious, the price that was being asked for the car was way to low for a start, and the guy was telling me he was a police officer and could not meet me in person to do a deal, and that it would all have to be done threw Ebay, alarm bells started ringing!

Anyway i sent him a email asking if the price was correct or it was a mistake and he sent this:

Hello,

I have received your email regarding my car 2003 AUDI A3 2.0 TDi Sport !

The car is in perfect working condition,has no damage, no scratches, no marks or dents on paintwork,no hidden defects. There is no outstanding finance (HPI clear)!It's a UK model (right handed),meets United Kingdom DOT and EPA guidelines so there will be no problems regarding UK.
Customs policy on receiving the car. It comes with original invoice, log book, keys and all the documents.

Here are some details about the car : Reg No:NA53ARZ, MOT: Sep 2011, Road Tax: Dec 2011, Engine Size:1,968cc, Reg. Date:09 Sep 2003 ,AUDI A3 2.0 TDi Sport, 3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 2003 53 Reg, 67.000 miles, Black, MOT-11-2011, 2 Owners. 6 SPEED Full Service History, Climate Control, Sports seats, ABS, Alloy wheels, Front electric windows, Radio CD, Immobiliser, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control, Folding rear seats, Front fog lights, Front head restraints, Remote central locking, Cloth seat trim, Rear wiper, Solid Paint, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Alarm, Electric door mirrors, Heated door mirrors, Height adjustable drivers seat, PAS, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Trip computer, Space saver spare wheel.

Here are some pictures with my car :http://en.fotoalbum.eu/fotocarinc/a578589

The price for the car is £1,400.00 !!!

The car was my wife but unfortunately she died. It brings very bad memories to me, I want to get rid of it.

The buyer will receive the car with all papers and receipts that he needs to register it to his name. It have 67,000 Miles!

I work as a police officer in United Kingdom .

Shipping will be done whit D.A.S and it will take no more then 2 days,and it will be payed by me!
Anyway, I have to let you know that I want a fast deal so if you are really interested in buying it, please reply with the following information's:

-Your full name and address;

The transaction will be closed only through eBay vehicle purchase protection so we both be protected.
Also in this way you have the chance to pay after you receive and test the car!
I will look for your email,so that we can move forward with this deal!

Let me know,
Paul Lowle .

So i start thinking to myself remember "If something is to good to be true,then is probably is"

Anyway i send him this email back:
Sorry about your wife, yes I'm interested in the car but i would like to come and pick it up myself would that be a problem?

His reply:

Hello,

I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the country so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According to eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1.First of all I will need the following details from you:

- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address

2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice will send you the details on how to make a refundable payment.
4.eBay will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.
5. If you will decide that you will not buy the car, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
I hope you are satisfied with my way of doing business. If you are going to accept my terms let me know so we should not waste our time.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

P.S. On the link below you have some pictures of me and my family and also a copy of my passport, driving license, insurance card and my Police Id card.

http://gb.fotoalbum.eu/documents/a3058
http://gb.fotoalbum.eu/documents/a3059
http://gb.fotoalbum.eu/documents/a3060

http://gb.fotoalbum.eu/documents/a3062
http://gb.fotoalbum.eu/documents/a3063

This is when alarm bells really started ringing,he even sent me pics of his wife after saying she was dead, so i did some searching and found this old post on the internet, it's from this very website and that's what brought me here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16670&p=48739

If you look at the pics that Michelle posted here

and the pics of his passport and police card he sent me:

It's the same passport same police card and the same guy, he has just changed his name from Paul Gowlerr to Paul Lowle guess that was very easy to change i duno, i can't believe he is still trying to scam people after all this time, he has really been getting away with it all this time?

I did email him back linking Michelle's original post, and i told him that i was going to report him to Gumtree, within 2-3 mins of sending the email the car was removed off gumtree, i did not report him to gumtree however as i could not find anywhere to do so.

This is the car he was trying to sell http://en.fotoalbum.eu/fotocarinc/a578589 it was registered in Newcastle and seems legit, but i guess he has just stolen the pics from somewhere.

The Email address he used to send me the mails is [email protected]

Just by me posting this here i hope it will stop anyone getting scammed by this guy.
Advertisement

#56281 by klhaines Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:50 am
When i entered 'Paul Lowle' into google this morning, i didnt xcpect him to be so widely known as a scammer, but he was up to his old tricks, only last Wednesday (15/06/11), when my husband and I were looking to buy a car from gumtree. A 2006 Ford focus, minimum mileage, perfect condition at £1400....and i know, i know.....too good to be true?? most definitely is!!!
He was pulling all what seem to be his normal lines out of the bag eg. "my wife died so i want to get rid of the car", claimed he was a police officer ( and sent over his ID card Passprt and personal pics) but was working abroad so we couldnt view the car even though he claimed it was only 20 miles from where we lived!!!
Alarm bells were ringing more and more with every email he sent, i confronted him in my next email, in which he completely ignored and just asked me to transfer the money!!!

Please be vigilant when buying online...it is all too eaasy for people to get caught up in a sale...especially a bargain and look out for the name PAUL LOWLE or any variation of it!