Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#56716 by spiral Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:38 pm
I listed 3 guitars in the last week and have sold many in the past so i have seen many scam emails. Most are obviously bad english so it is easy to spot.

In the last week i've gotten 3 emails from people all claiming to be disabled:
  1. David Murphy
    dmurphyphd@... - "blind" - wants long descriptions of how the guitar "feels". Claims to have been professor of acoustic music at several universities (can't find that title anywhere online). writes very formally, claiming to be in a specific suburb of chicago but can't get a ride. i've emailed with "him" a few times and finally just said he should call me which stopped the emails. He just emailed again after a few days dropping some other specifics that were likely gathered from google maps (like a Taco Bell location). His emails are very long. Compared to normal craigslist emails which are 5 words or less.
  2. Robert Johnson
    rjjpeckers13@... - "speech disabled" - given the previous email, and the fact that i just posted the ad 20 minutes ago, this one seemed suspect just because of that.
  3. name witheld
    "disabled" - what's crazy is, i think this guy is legit, he sent his phone number and i called him and he said on the phone he was disabled and offered to come over. he seemed nice, it was just a very weird coincidence that these three people all emailed at the same time and i had never seen this tactic before.
Advertisement

#56740 by Katharina Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:32 am
Hi spiral,
thanks for posting the warnings.

However, you should post the complete email addresses of the first two scammers as you found out they really are criminals. Possible victims will do a Google search on the addresses - but how will they be able to find the warning? :lol:
#56741 by spiral Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:37 am
Katharina wrote:Hi spiral,
thanks for posting the warnings.

However, you should post the complete email addresses of the first two scammers as you found out they really are criminals. Possible victims will do a Google search on the addresses - but how will they be able to find the warning? :lol:
I don't want to slander anyone on the off chance they are real people. The start of the email address is unique enough that someone should be able to find it. At any rate, most email addresses are throwaway and the lead story here was the new "i'm disabled" idea.