Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#58451 by JasonS Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:07 am
I'm on the lookout for an Audi A3 TDI Sportback for my wife and I came across one in Huntingdon which is only 1/2hr from where I live.. it seemed rather too cheap for the year and mileage, but I thought I would go and see it to find out why, expecting it to be scratched or something..

I sent off an e-mail asking to view and got this reply the next day:

Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: 2007 AUDI A3 SE TDI 1.9 5
Date: 11 July 2011 08:07:29 GMT+01:00

Hi ,

Thank you for your interest in my car. As mentioned in my advert, the car works and stands in perfect condition and I never had any problems with the engine. There is no outstanding finance and the car is HPI clear, the V5 is present and in my name, the car is in immaculate unmarked condition throughout, it is simply perfect. I have managed to keep it in this perfect shape taking extra care for it daily.
We live in the South part of Copenhagen, in Denmark.
We have a house to spend our holidays in Blackpool. The car has english plates obviously and english registration yet. The reason for selling it now is that we are a nice couple of pensioners (I am 58 years old), we love spending our time traveling around the world by plane, so a car is no more useful for us. Also we sold our holiday house in England and bought a big vacation house in the fabulous Copenhagen.
If you agree and you are decided for a meeting to see the car and make checks and a test-drive we are ready to make a trip to England and meet you in a city acceptable for both of us. If this is agreeable to you please include your location in your next reply.
We truly believe that this can be a good deal for both of us!
Advertisement

#59713 by simzan Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:26 pm
This is definitely a scam. I made enquiries about this Volvo which is on Pistonheads
http://pistonheads.com/sales/3008843.htm

Got exactly the same email back with the same cock and bull story about Copenhagen (How many Danes would have a holiday home in Blackpool?). He will want you to post £2000 to yourself using Western Union and then email him the confirmation slip. Presumably hoping that you will give him all the details so that he can then collect the money.