Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#61682 by alstro Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:42 pm
A couple of months ago I was selling a customized bass guitar on various sites such as Craigslist, eBay, Red Leaf Ads, Kijiji and more.

Contact with this scammer dragged on for some time so we can see exactly how he wanted to scam us. He said he was in France but his IP was in Quebec. He used the name "Joel Melannson" with the email [email protected]. I read a couple of threads in some sites before but I forgot those sites now, and seems he's got a similar style to writing. He doesn't really use templates for messages I guess.

Hi am Mr Joel , i like these item , what's it price
and condition?...still available for sale?..Thank
you

joel

---- FOR YOUR INFORMATION: ----------------------
The email has been sent from the location:
Canada (accuracy:99%)
Montreal QC (accuracy:80%)
IP address:67.205.92.43

Hello , thank you for your timely reply to my inquiry , i want you to email me back with the recent pictureof the item for my closer look....Can you assure me that this item would be good after purchase? because am ready to making the payment and we gonna have a deal ..... , I have been advised by my financial institution to always make payment via a Canadian Certified Cashier's Cheque or a Money Order because i want this deal to be completed in good faith and in a business manner OK...The payment will be deliver to you in some few days after you must have emailed me with your full mailing information such as ..

Full Name:
Full Contact Address:
City With Province:
Postal Code:
Tel.phone number:
Asking price as agreed:

Kindly keep me updated regarding this transation and i hope to complete this deal with you in good business manner .... I will let you know the time and date of the pick up will be arrange between you and my shipper at your own convenient time.i hope to finalize this deal with you in good faith and in a business manner .Thanks

Hi,,you don't have to ship for me because i have already contacted a competent shipping company to make the pickup for me after you must have received the payment OK.Thanks

sure i want you to keep me updated ..am ready to make the payment

Thank you for the details and i will make sure everything is set on my end by next week so that this deal could be completed in good business manner OK , i will keep you inform as soon as payment is approved so that you could know the exactly day and time to await the payment in the mail OK . it should be approved by my financial institution by next week..

Meanwhile, would like you to give me your words that the ads will be held down for me while you await the payment in some few days time ..Regarding the pickup i have already contacted a competent shipping company to come for the pickup after you must have received the payment OK....Confirm this and give me your words for more assurance..Thank you for your business

Hello *Removed* ,how are you doing today ? .. I just want to inform you that i will be traveling out today for a company assignment and the payment have been approved and i will shoot you an email stating the date and time to watch out for the payment in the mail hopefully from next week OK , i would appreciate it a lot if this deal could be completed as agreed in a good business manner because am trusting you with my payment upon delivery , i want you to know that i cherished the item so much and that's why am making out the funds to you which will be deliver to you any moment from next week OK ...

Meanwhile, i have already make an enquiry with a competent shipping company for the pickup after you must have received the payment and all you will need to know about the shipper has been attached with the payment envelop so that this deal could be completed in good faith, make sure the Ads is marked as sold for me on the advert for protection on this transaction from any intruder OK... I want you to confirm this message so that i can be rest assured and confirm this deal with you and hope my payment will be secured and safe in your possession upon delivery OK...Confirm this and give me your words for more assurance..Thank you for your business

How has it gone ??? immediately you receive the payment just email me first and await my instruction OK..Just get back to me as soon as you confirm the payment because i have an urgent details to get back to you OK,.,.Thanks

How has it gone?

Basically he sent us a letter with a cheque for more than we asked for and said to wire the remaining balance to him through Western Union. Classic Overpayment Scam. If we deposited the cheque, it would take some time for the bank to find out it was a fraudulent check, and by the time they'd find out, we would had already wired him the remaining balance. He wanted us to wire it to the name Remi Ricchy in France. Well, that's what would have happened if we were scammed, but we weren't. We knew it was just a classic overpayment scam and I'm posting just in case any of you run into him as well.
Advertisement