Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#61916 by Magicoffey Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 am
I just came very close to falling for this one and was surprised to see so much about these two particular scabs on the internet. I called the Astabula, OH Sheriff's Office and left this information with a Lt. Detective. Mary Clinton, supposedly "at sea" as a "cooker" aboard a ship wanted to buy some items I listed on EBay, ostensibly for her "uncle" - I was wary, but proceeded with the initial email conversations - right up to the part where I received PayPal confirmation emails and verifications that Mary Clinton was a verified account holder and that $875. had been deposited into my PayPal account, but would not show as a credit until I sent $300 (with a $50 surcharge, total $350) via WESTERN UNION to James Wolf of 2115 Eagle Street, Astabulah, OH.
So I sent them a little hate mail, wished them ill fortune beyond their imagining, forwarded all their emails to [email protected] and directly to paypal.com customer service, and contacted the Astabulah Sheriff.
Just wanted to post this, because I wish I had seen this site before I waded into their *&^%$#@!
Advertisement

#61926 by Dotti Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:37 am
I'm glad that you ultimately avoided the scam, in spite of the headache it caused.

If you would post the actual emails you received from the scammers (make sure their email addresses are listed), it may help others to avoid being scammed, as scammers often continue to use the same script after they change fake identities.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.