Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#62234 by carseller Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:50 am
I received a scam email via autotrader.com. The email headers are not useful because the message is relayed through AutoTrader. Unfortunately, the IP address of the "buyer" is not provided by AutoTrader. I did not even bother to reply to this one, as I have no doubts of its intent.

Here is the initial message from the scammer. It contains the usual red flags (grammar, punctuation, although references to the "item" have been replaced with "( CAR )" :lol: ). The scammer is using the name "Mic Conne".

Hello Seller... I am interested in your lovely ( CAR ) you have on here,Is it still available for sale ?If yes please do email me back its present conditions and your last asking price and do email me some pictures for a closer look if available...Bye for now and i shall be looking forward to hearing from you.... Stay Bless Mic
Advertisement

#63404 by krystaleyez Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:42 am
I recieved an email from this same person about my item for sale on Kijiji! His initial email was identical to that which you posted here. Unfortunately, I didn't quite register it as harmful at the beginning, but luckily I informed myself of his intentions through the way he spoke within his messages. I am not sure how to stop this guy, but just know this is obviously a scammer!

Mossi Racing Helmet?
From [email protected]
Add to contacts
To [removed - Michelle]

Hello Seller...

I am interested in your lovely ( ITEM ) you have on Kijiji,Is it still available for sale ?If yes please do email me back its present conditions and your last asking price and do email me some pictures for a closer look if available...Bye for now and i shall be looking forward to hearing from you....

Stay Bless
Mic

not to mention the other emails he has also sent.
#63426 by Katharina Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 am
Welcome krystaleyez!

I'm glad you can't be scammed. Unfortunately, there is no way to stop these scammers. They operate from an internet café in West Africa or Malaysia and remain completely anonymous. And it doesn't help closing their accounts. They will open a new one within minutes.

You can see that he is mass mailing his emails - he refers to your "item" only because he replies to a lot of different offers.

Please never post your email address on the internet. It can be harvested by programmes scammers and spammers are using, and you will get even more fishy emails. You can use the "EDIT" button to delete it, and just in case you won't be around soon, I have also asked a moderator to do it for you.