Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#63328 by Michelle Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Police Officer Paul Light <[email protected]>

The total price for the car is $4,900. I can tell you the car is in excellent condition, as can be seen in the pictures below and it was not involved in any accident or something else.
The car was kept in a garage and doesn't need repairings. It has no engine problem, no scratches. The car is paid off, no debts, no liens.
I live in United Kingdom and the car is registered in Ukraine. The car has ukrainian plate number. Ukrainian license plates.
My brother owned this car, he lived in Donetsk, Ukraine. My brother died seven months ago in a motorcycle accident and now i'm the owner of the car but I decided to sell it. The machine has the steering wheel on the left side, it's difficult for me to drive it in England. I also don't want to get rich on the death of my brother so that's why I have lowered the price.
I just want to sell it to a buyer that serious will take care of the car just as my brother did, who was a Non-smoker, and so it is a Non-smoking car. He took the car once a month to a specialized service for technical review.
As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Ukraine for the sale. Let me know if we can meet in Ukraine.
Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
You can send me a message if you have further questions, or you want more photos.

Kind Regards,
Police Officer Paul Light

[email protected]
Hello again,
Thank you for your message and for you kindness...
My name is Paul Light and I live in Billingham, Cleveland, North East England.
After the death of my brother I have become the legal owner of the car, the documents are renewed on my name. The documents are in the car, ready to be register to the new buyer.
The car is locked in the parking garage in Donetsk, Ukraine. Only I have the keys and there is not a supervisor. As I already explained, I live in United Kingdom and I will go to Ukraine only for this affair. Unfortunately I haven't a contact person in Ukraine.
I work in Cleveland Police and is very hard for me to come in Ukraine. I can't take the risk to leave my job for days and when I arrive in Ukraine to see that I came for nothing.
I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it. And as a warranty that you really want to buy the car and that you have a part of the money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a deposit on your name.
I want to be 100% sure that's not a joke and a part of the money are ready for the car. No offense.
A friend of yours or a family member must find a Western Union Agency and deposit 1/2 of the amount ($2,450) on your name to United Kingdom, in this way i'm in secure that's not a joke. You will NOT send the money to me. This is not a payment, in fact, I don't accept money in advance.
You can send the money in this way because nobody from worldwide can take this money.
Example of transfer:
-Sender of the money: YOUR COUSIN (who send the money from Ukraine)
-Receiver of the money: YOU (who receive the money in United Kingdom)
Please note, Western Union is not a service for making commerce. In order to allow the transfer, the sender of the money must tell to Western Union agents ( if they ask ) that the money are for your personal use in United Kingdom.
The money are available at Western Union until we finish the deal.
Immediately when you have sent the money to United Kingdom, I want you to send me an email or fax with the copy of the Western Union receipt, this is the serious reason that I can trust you that you have the money ready to pay for the car then we arrange the meeting and I come in Ukraine.
I take the car from the garage and I drive it to your city.
When we will meet, first thing I will do is to give you back the money which you have paid for the transfer, the western union fees.
We will test the car with a mechanic to confirm that the car is in perfect condition, ready to drive it, we will go to a Police Office to confirm that the car was not stolen.
If you like the car, if you want to keep it, we will make all the papers work that we need(the passage of property). Then we go together to a Western Union Office and change the receiver's name of the money with my name-Paul Light. I will cover all the western union fees. Of course you must have with you the rest of the money -$2,450. It's a fair deal.

Kind Regards,
Phone#:
+447031898521
+447031895510
Fax#:
+448715031825
E-mail: [email protected]

P.S.
If you accept my conditions I wait your e-mail. I don't want you to feel offended if i'll not answer you in case of a negative answer, because I don't see the reason why we should continue to write each other, since I will not accept any other way to close the deal.

Photos of car attached at this e-mail.
Mercedes-Benz Vito
Mileage: 90,000 km
Cubic capacity: 2,2 cc

Advertisement

#63337 by Corban Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:44 pm
Cool!!! Write that you are interested in in and i thionk you will get the answer the exactly like:
It is ok your friend or relative to send $1.800 to your name, UK. It doesn't matter if money are sent from Russia.
As soon as you will send me Western Union papers, I will call Western Union and verify transfer with the details from paper, also I will enter western union website and verify transfer online.

I asked you only to show me something easy , a simple transfer to your name, not mine! so I can be sure and come to Ukraine.
Your friend or relative will send the money to your name, destination UK.

I see that you have doubts about this deal. Usually I don't do that but because I want you to see that I am very serious with this deal and Ihave only good intentions, below you have some pictures of me and my family and also a copy of my passport, insurance card and my Police ID card. My fax and phone numbers.
We are a respectable family. I am police officer and my wife is doctor. We have no time for games and we told you only the truth. We expect the same seriousness from you.

Once I see the copy of the Western Union receipt, we arrange the meeting and in maximum 3 days I come in Ukraine. I take the car from the garage and I drive it to your city.
We will test the car to an authorized service and to a Police Office to confirm that the car was not stolen.
After the passage of property, we go together to a Western Union Agency and redirect the money to my name and address. I will pay all the western union fees.
I told you, this is a fair deal.

Please remember, because Western Union is not a service for making commerce, the sender of the money must tell to Western Union agents ( if they ask ) that the money are for your personal use in United Kingdom and not for buying a car.

Today or tomorrow send me the copies of the Western Union receipts, otherwise I will close the deal with another person.

Kind Regards,
Phone#:
+447031889765
+447031894538
Fax#:
+448715031825
E-mail: [email protected]

But in my case the car is another - Audi A3
Mileage: 50,000 km
Cubic capacity: 1,8 cc
Color: Silver (Metallic)

He also attached his family and documents Phtos to my letter
#63340 by Corban Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:28 pm
Does WU office in UK can pay money to person without person identifcation????? Where is the sense of the scam?
#63351 by Katharina Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:00 pm
Hi Corben,

as long as you've got the identification number and other details, in a lot of countries you can pick up the money even if the address of the receiver says "UK".
Note the phone numbers:
+447031889765
+447031894538

They are not real UK numbers. All numbers beginning with "+44 70 ......" are re-direct numbers which will pass on your call to anywhere in the world.
#63416 by Corban Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 am
But I can protect the transfer with the secret word. Then He will also need to know this word to recieve the money, right?
#63455 by Katharina Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:57 am
As for the test question and answer, yes, the recipient needs to know them.
However, if he knows the MTCN, in many countries this will be enough, especially if the scammer happens to have an accomplice in a Western Union office.