Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#64254 by penelope21 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 am
Same old craigslist scam. They ask if your "item" is still for sale. You reply that it is and they say they are "out of town" or they want to send it to their kid who lives "out of town" and they want to use paypal. They send from a stolen account and you are out the item once you ship it. This is the oldest one in the book and they still try it even though the ad clearly states CASH ONLY, IN-PERSON transactions only!

Beware:
[email protected]
Took out duplicates. DJ
Advertisement

#64289 by Katharina Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:28 pm
Hi Penelope, could you please post an email you received from the scammer? - Thanks!

To clarify for other readers:

The scammer will either send you the details of a phished credit card or a fake cheque. The amount will be a lot higher than what you want for your "item". You will be told to send the difference to their "shipping agency" - actually the same scammer with a different name or an accomplice.
When the bank or credit card company finds out, you will have to pack back the whole amount to them, and very likely they will inform the police who will suspect you. You will be in serious trouble.

The scammer is not interested in what you are selling. He mass-mails the same scripts to hundreds of persons no matter what they posted on Craigslist. That is why he is referring to "the item".
#65765 by penelope21 Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:12 am
Email from Scammer:
------Original Message------
[email protected]
To: I removed personal information. ~Bubbles
Subject: Re: Engagement Ring/Matching Wedding Band-Marquise. CASH ONLY, INPERSON- $2550
Sent: Aug 28, 2011 4:37 PM

Hello,

How are you doing today? thanks for the reply,i will like to buy it for my
kid who is getting married very soon..I am interested in it and am ok with
the price. I will like to pay you with paypal because its very easy,
fast and secure to transfer money.. and if you don't have an account
with PayPal you can easily set up an one by visiting http://www.paypal.com.

Please note: Do send me only correct PayPal account because i don't
wanna make any error on the Payment and to make everything okay with
the both parties. I estimated the shipping cost via USPS(EMS)
which is about $70 to ship it over to my kid in Beijing,China.
I hope to read from you soon with your paypal email.

Thanks
#70266 by jaycsilver Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:44 pm
Just wanted to let you know that is is not just a Craigslist Scammer.. Just received an email from this scammer for an ring I posted in Kijiji.ca which is a local buy/sell site for Canadian Cities. It was worded exactly as it was in Penelope21 with the exception of "$50 to ship it over to my kid in Beijing,China"... Man am glad I checked the web before I went any further on this one..

Thanks for everyone that posts this kind of info, it saved me and hopfully many others like me from making a very big mistake.

Janice :)